PDA

View Full Version : New gigging acoustic

markb
July 13th, 2008, 07:37 PM
If anyone had told me I'd buy a Fender acoustic I'd have laughed at them, but...

I spent a lot of time round the local guitar pushers looking for an electro acoustic that wouldn't break the bank, felt and sounded good both plugged and unplugged and was put together well enough to last. I made a mistake on a Crafter jumbo that was just too large for me and had absurdly tight string spacing but the shop agreed to take it back and gave me the run of the place to pick out something more suitable.

And the winner is... a Fender CD-140-SCE. I was surprised how nice this guitar is but it was by far the best of the three samples they had in the shop. In fact it was nicer than a Fender GA43 going for nearly twice the price. It's a slightly waisted dreadnought with full depth sides and a cutaway that's rendered a bit redundant by a very deep heel. Construction is tidy inside and out and it plays just great. Here are some pictures

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3166/2666357308_5b44d16a4b.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3100/2665529913_ef515ebb91.jpg

Fender demo attached below

I'd say the guitar has more modern tone than either of my nice acoustics. It leans more towards a Taylorish tone than Martin. It's getting a lot of use and the bass is filling out nicely. It worked a treat plugged in at the Paekakariki open mic the other night too, a built in tuner is just so handy in a noisy bar, I could actually tune up while a local rock band were doing their spot.

Rocket
July 13th, 2008, 07:40 PM
Dead links!

markb
July 13th, 2008, 07:49 PM
Whoops, I'll have a look.

markb
July 13th, 2008, 07:58 PM
Should see some pics and an attachment now :thwap:

just strum
July 13th, 2008, 08:10 PM
Both pics and audio - sweeeeeeeeeeeetttttttttt.

evenkeel
July 14th, 2008, 10:12 AM
Sweet. Fender has a bad rep in the acoustic world, some of it deserved. But, amongst the drek are some winners and it looks like you found one. I have a friend who has a fender, cutaway dread. Solid spruce top and solid rosewood back, lam sides. Very handsome guitar and sounds terrific.

magoo
July 14th, 2008, 08:21 PM
It amazes me how a company that makes such great electric guitars are not known for their acoustics.

Mark looks like you found a nice one, looks great sounds great...congrats.