PDA

View Full Version : Which Gig Bag?

Tibernius
July 14th, 2008, 09:11 AM
I'm starting a music course in September and I'll need a Gig Bag. I've got one that came with my first guitar about 13 years ago but it's been stored in the roof for most of that time...

Any recommendations?
I'm thinking of either a Ritter RCG400 or RCG700.:confused:

Ch0jin
July 15th, 2008, 01:11 AM
When you say "gig bag" do you mean "guitar case" or "bag for everything other than the guitar" ?

If the latter, I'd suggest applying the same principal I use for my camera equipment. Do NOT get a bag with a brand that loudly advertises what you have in it. I keep thousands of dollars of camera gear in a brown hessian looking courier bag I bought in Asia for pocket change as opposed to a Canon/Targus/Lowepro etc bag for the simple reason that it doesn't scream to theives that I'm holding something they might want.

As for guitar cases there are pro's and cons to Hard Vs Soft cases. Obviously a hard case will offer more protection, but the soft cases can typically be worn as backpacks leaving your hands free for your amp/beers/groupies etc....

Tibernius
July 15th, 2008, 06:10 AM
When you say "gig bag" do you mean "guitar case" or "bag for everything other than the guitar" ?

Guitar case.
I think they're sometimes called a "soft case" rather than a "gig bag". :confused:

I'm going to be using public transport so I thought it would be more practical than a Hard Case.

Tibernius
August 4th, 2008, 11:35 AM
Sorry for dragging this thread up again but I'm buying a case next week and I still have no idea which one to get.

:confused:

ShootTheGlass
August 4th, 2008, 11:51 AM
I agree with chojin about buying a non-descript bag. That said, the gig bag I got with my PRS Tremonti SE is the best gig bag I have ever seen: heavy cordura, great stitching , two big pockets, tons of padding.

They pop up cheap on ebay pretty often, its worth keeping your eye open for, if you can put up with the PRS and SE logos on the front.

ShootTheGlass
August 4th, 2008, 11:52 AM
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PRS-GIG-BAG-HEAVY-DUTY_W0QQitemZ180063719747QQihZ008QQcategoryZ42455 QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp16 38Q2em118Q2el1247

the very man!

ZMAN
August 4th, 2008, 12:05 PM
First of all what type of guitar is it. I have several Gig bags and they are all for Fender Strats. They have a deluxe model that has good padding and a double strap for both shoulders. If you are travelling by bus it would be easy to handle. The other option is a hard shell case with plush lining. This offers a little more protection. The only draw back is a single handle. The bags can be had for under 50 Can. and the decent hard cases for under 100. I don't know what the prices are like in Wales though.

Tibernius
August 4th, 2008, 12:13 PM
First of all what type of guitar is it.

A Strat copy and an LP copy.

I have several Gig bags and they are all for Fender Strats. They have a deluxe model that has good padding and a double strap for both shoulders. If you are travelling by bus it would be easy to handle...

...The bags can be had for under 50 Can...

That sounds like the kind I'm after. Should be about £25-£30. (at least that's what most of them are here)

tot_Ou_tard
August 5th, 2008, 05:09 AM
I don't know how you get a gig-bag that doesn't advertise that it has a guitar in it.

If you can get one of these in the UK (try eBaY):

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Godin-VBGAC-Gig-Bag?sku=541557&src=3WFRWXX&ZYXSEM=0&CAWELAID=26045955

you'll be happy. They are killer gig bags.