PDA

View Full Version : Pedal Board Problems

dabacosm
July 14th, 2008, 12:40 PM
Hi everyone! I am hoping that someone has encountered the issue that I am having right now: I recently bought a Gator powered pedal board to organize my stomp boxes and it is great but I have a problem that I can't seem to figure out. I have a Boss GT6 that I use as more of an amp modeler (the twin clean sound is really cool) I put that first in line before the gator and I got a lot of noise so naturally I switched them and put the gator in front. Viola!! The noise went away but now when I turn on any of my tube overdrives I get a lot of reverb which seems to be coming from the Boss GT6. It's almost as if the distortion stomp boxes are fueling the reverb on it.

What I am using for stomp boxes and how I have them set up is as follows: (from the amp into Tech 21 overdrive, Behringer Vintage tube overdrive, Boss CS2, and a behringer digital delay to the Boss GT6. Interestingly, when I was using batteries I never had this issue and I had the Boss GT6 first in the chain.

Does anyone know how I can fix the problem?

Thanks!

Ch0jin
July 15th, 2008, 01:02 AM
Hey there, I dont have the same problem, but if by "reverb" you mean "hum" it sounds like an earth loop issue with the power supply/pedal combination. I'm basing that on the fact that when you use batteries the problem goes away.

However before I dive into that....

By "Reverb", do you mean "Hum" ? :)

dabacosm
July 15th, 2008, 07:17 AM
Thanks for your insight!! I appreciate it. I spent a lot of time trying to figure it out last night by changing the order of the pedals and reconfiguring the chain--but it didn't work and I started to think the same thing that you suggested.

Here's the thing: by reverb, I do mean reverb not hum. If I bypass the GT6-the gator works perfectly and there are no issues. But when I turn it on again--same problem comes up but ONLY when I hit the distortion pedal--I have 3 tube overdrives on it (2 behringer and a Tech 21 double drive) and it doesn't seem to matter which one I turn on--as I start to play, I suddenly get all this reverb from the GT6! Frustrating!!

Tonight, I'm going try loading just the overdrives with batteries and see what happens. (The reason I bought the powered gator was to rid myself of batteries!! :)

Thanks again!!

ZMAN
July 15th, 2008, 11:09 AM
I am thinking along those same lines as Ch0gin. A lot of the noise can be coming from your power source. By that I mean if you are plugged into a power bar or extension of any kind you will get a lot of noise. IF you are plugged directly into the wall it could mean a problem with the Ground/earth in your dwelling. I purchased a conditioned power pedal board by Furman and I have pretty well gotten rid of 95% of the noise/hum. Once my wife unplugged my board and put a power bar in to add some lamps and I ended up with a huge amount of noise. So much so that I wasted hours trying to find it and then found the power bar. Man was I pissed.

dabacosm
July 15th, 2008, 01:40 PM
Hi ZMAN,

I appreciate the reply--thanks!! Well, I think putting batteries in the overdrives tonight will confirm what is being suggested so far. If I can just eliminate that stupid reverb--other than that, it is a very quiet board. I'm wondering--maybe you know--Behringer's adapters are negative centered (I think that what they call it) and I've heard that gator boards handle these power supplies fairly well, do yo think that could be another cause? I initially ruled it out because the Tech 21 double drive is not powered that way and yet. . .REVERB!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thwap:

Thanks again!!

markb
July 15th, 2008, 05:35 PM
What I am using for stomp boxes and how I have them set up is as follows: (from the amp into Tech 21 overdrive, Behringer Vintage tube overdrive, Boss CS2, and a behringer digital delay to the Boss GT6. Interestingly, when I was using batteries I never had this issue and I had the Boss GT6 first in the chain.

Are you putting these drives in an fx loop or in front of the amp? Can you power the GT6 off one of the outputs on the Gator PSU? If you're using a separate wall wart on the GT6 that might be your problem right there.

dabacosm
July 16th, 2008, 09:06 AM
Hi Markb,

I'm running the effects in front of the amp and I cannot plug the GT6 into the gator. I power the GT6 and the gator separately but plug them into the same powerstrip. What do you think? Might that be the issue and if so, what can I do about it? Thanks!!!!!

ZMAN
July 16th, 2008, 09:53 AM
You said the majic words. "Powerstrip" If you plug them into wall sockets you will be able to set them up the way you want and there will be no humm.
Those power strips are a source of noise like you would not believe.

dabacosm
July 16th, 2008, 10:09 AM
OOOOOO. . .thanks Zman:AOK: . . .I'll plug directly into the wall and see if that changes anything. What about extension cords--do they create similar problems?

ZMAN
July 16th, 2008, 11:05 AM
I am lucky in that I don't have to use cords but I would think if it is the thicker type of cord it would not be an issue. You should google "condtioned power source", they have a lot of verbage on how much this affects the humm in electronic equipment including guitars etc.
My Furman board has a conditioned power source built in. As I said before my wife inadvertantly plugged my board into a power bar and I went crazy trying to find the problem. The noise was amazing.

dabacosm
July 17th, 2008, 07:32 AM
I will definitely look for conditioned power supplies. I really appreciate the help on this--I didn't have the time to try things last night but I'm going to work on it this evening. Part of my issue is that when I'm gigging plugging directly into the wall is almost always not an option--I usually have to use some extension of some kind in order to reach my pedals. Thanks again--I'll let you know what happens!

dabacosm
July 18th, 2008, 01:56 PM
Just as an FYI: I tried everything that was suggested here with the gator powered pedal board and unfortunately nothing worked!!! OMG!! I'm frustrated. For the time-being I'm going back to how I had things set up originally (all batteries) b/c that's what gave me the cleanest/quietest sound. What I'm going to try when I have the time is test one pedal at a time and then start adding pedals to pin-point the specific issue. I don't want to give up on the gator, I'm still thinking that I'm on the learning curve with the powered boards and it's operator ignorance. But really if any one has any other advice-- I'm all ears!!! :D

Robert
July 18th, 2008, 02:03 PM
I have advice - get a 1-Spot adapter. Or a Voodoolab Pedal Power 2. End of story. :D

ZMAN
July 27th, 2008, 04:16 PM
I have been away on Vacation for 10 days and I was wondering how it went with the power supplies. Funny thing I was at the House of Blues in Myrtle Beach and the lead guitar in the band that was to play that night was setting up a Furman board exactly like mine. Easy and quiet Furman SPB 8

dabacosm
August 6th, 2008, 11:24 AM
Well--long story short, I think what's causing all the problems is my GT6. I went back to my old set up and it was fine but I'm seriously considering alternatives to the Boss. I use it primarily as a modeler anyway and can probably get close to the same sounds if I get the right combo of stomp boxes together. Thanks for all your advice. It is much appreciated!:)

Robert
August 6th, 2008, 01:35 PM
I'm a pedal junkie myself, so if you want suggestions for certain pedals, or types of sounds, ask away. :)

king_petrucci
August 8th, 2008, 12:27 AM
Hey I have the same problem. I have 8 pedals and when i try to run them off power supply with daisy chain I get a terrible noise. Ive searched for a solution but sadly have just gone back to battery power. Would love any help if someone has any