PDA

View Full Version : Acoustic guitar tone differences - Martin content

sunvalleylaw
July 15th, 2008, 08:50 AM
Take a look at these two vids. One features a Martin OM model, one a dreadnought. Which guitar sound do you like better and why?

YPvkSo1itgc

i_KnnHRQeaE&feature=related

markb
July 15th, 2008, 05:22 PM
By some strange coincidence the first song is on NZ radio as I type. :eek:
To be honest I prefer the dread but that's partly due to the playing style. It sounds like the OM never gets a chance to open up while the dread has that Martin tone. With a choice of different material I'd probably like the OM better, it sounds pretty sweet on this showing. A friend has both a D28 and an OM28v (you can see the OM's headstock in my avatar) so I've done my own comparison. They're both really great guitars. I'd take the D28 for flatpicking and the OM for more all round duties if they were mine (I wish).

sunvalleylaw
July 15th, 2008, 05:49 PM
Thanks for the thoughts. Anyone else before I share mine? Tone, you're a Martin guy . . .

evenkeel
July 15th, 2008, 08:22 PM
I have a very slight preference for the dread. A bit richer and fuller sound. The low end comes thru very nicely while the highs and mid range have a nice sparkle. The OM is dryer and crisper. Nice high end, but the mid range dominates. I don't hear the bass as much. Both sound very good, but I do like the dread a bit better.

I'm curious as to the amplification. I notice a mic in front of the guitars in both vids. Cannot tell if that is the only amplification source. I also suspect there is a bit of chorus and/or reverb going on with the dread video.

Interesting question. Would love to hear other comments

tot_Ou_tard
July 16th, 2008, 06:22 AM
Great question Sun.

He's doing different things with each guitar.

With the OM he's doing more fingerstyle pyrotechics as well as grabbing chords with his fingers. The tone is jazzier, more compressed, & focused on the midrange. Maybe there's some distortion on the low end.

With the dread he's mainly strumming. The sound is open & expansive. He's getting some angelic harmonics. The high & low frequncy dominate.

Clearly one needs both.

Tone2TheBone
July 16th, 2008, 08:59 AM
Dreadnaught rasta mon. Do da dreadnaught in a Martin definately.

Katastrophe
July 16th, 2008, 09:07 AM
Go with the Dread, man! I love that big, open sound.

Would love to hear what the Washburn owners have to say, as they typically have more acoustic experience than I do.