PDA

View Full Version : Intonation is important and easy to do

Robert
May 13th, 2006, 04:11 PM
I just want to mention that I set the intonation on my Squier '51 this morning. I used the tuner software that came with my audio interface. Any old tuner works though. This is how you do it.

Tune the string with the tuner so it's completely in tune (for me, a green light indicates when it's right on). Then, press down you finger at the 12th fret and see if the note is sharp or flat.

If it is flat, turn the saddle screws so that the bridge saddle moves towards the pickups. This will make the overall string length slightly shorter.

If the note is sharp, do the opposite. Make the bridge saddle move away from the pickups, making the string length longer.

Adjust until the note is right on both when playing the string open and when you press down the string at the 12 fret.

Repeat for all strings.

It makes it so much more enjoyable to play the guitar! Playing chords higher up on the neck still sounds in tune - what a joy. Mine didn't do that before.

tot_Ou_tard
May 13th, 2006, 04:26 PM
That is what I do, but unfortunately I have run out of adjustmment and my low E and the A string still are a tad sharp.

M29
May 13th, 2006, 06:21 PM
Hello Robert,

Yeah that is what I do too. My LP copy is out of adjustment on the low E but is very very close maybe the next set of stings will be better and also my G string is out of adjustment, but close.

Robert what tuner do you have? I have one with a green light too it is a Korg GT-3. Do you like this tuner? Everyone talks chromatic now.

M29

Robert
May 13th, 2006, 09:13 PM
I have a Rocktron X-tune pedal. I use the Tascam US-122 audio interface with my computer and it comes with a basic software tuner.

The Korg DT 10 is pretty good. Peterson Strobe tuner is terrific, but filthy expensive.

Tim
May 14th, 2006, 07:39 AM
That is what I do, but unfortunately I have run out of adjustmment and my low E and the A string still are a tad sharp.

If this is happening, then your turning the adjustment to much. Back the saddle back out towrds the pickup. As you bring the tone of the string closer to being in tune (a green light indicates when it's right on) start make small adjustments. 1/4 to 1/8 turns of the adjusting screw. In a past post I mentioned that I solved my intonation problems by lower the action a tab.