PDA

View Full Version : I discovered a new method to strengthen your fretting fingers!

hubberjub
July 15th, 2008, 12:38 PM
It involves stabbing yourself in the pad of your index finger. It will force you to rely on your middle, ring, and pinky. It's great. Everyone should try it!
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd105/hubberjub/DSCN0368.jpg
On second thought it kind of sucks. Luckily I don't have another gig until the 26th. It is forcing me to come up with some interesting fingerings though.

luvmyshiner
July 15th, 2008, 12:41 PM
Damn hubberjub. That looks nasty.:puke: If it's all the same to you I think I'll pass on this new training method of yours.

Rocket
July 15th, 2008, 12:52 PM
Been there.
Banana'd my left medio to the bone doing a full-length E-slide on ultra-lights.
That's why I try to discourage the use of ultra-lights.

R_of_G
July 15th, 2008, 01:04 PM
I definitely feel for you Hub. When I was still cooking for a living I had a bit of an accident with a knife and nearly removed the entirety of my fingertip on my left index finger. The time it took to heal was a lot longer than I intended to go without playing guitar so I found some work-around fingerings and/or dealt with the excruciating pain. Here's hoping you heal quickly.:AOK:

Spudman
July 15th, 2008, 01:37 PM
Ouch! Oh crap, there goes nose picking.

I hope you heal well.

Robert
July 15th, 2008, 01:38 PM
Errhh, sorry but why did you stab yerself? :)

luvmyshiner
July 15th, 2008, 01:43 PM
To strengthen his fretting finger Robert. Come on, pay attention son.:poke:

evenkeel
July 15th, 2008, 01:59 PM
Ouch!! Hurts just looking at it.

Like Rocket I've got a bit of a flashback going. Mine involves a fish and a filet knife. :thwap:

hubberjub
July 15th, 2008, 02:01 PM
Errhh, sorry but why did you stab yerself? :)
I was cutting a plastic cable tie and the knife slipped. It was my own careless mistake. I'm not the brightest bulb in the lamp.

hubberjub
July 15th, 2008, 02:08 PM
Ouch! Oh crap, there goes nose picking.

I hope you heal well.

Though I can only play the guitar right handed I am able to pick my nose with a variety of fingers (and a few toes). It's just one of my many talents. Thanks for the good wishes.

marnold
July 15th, 2008, 02:35 PM
Dude, I thought you would have learned from my hacking off of three fingertips. Ahh well. Aren't stitches in your fingertip a joy?

sunvalleylaw
July 15th, 2008, 03:04 PM
My Dad, who is a great sax player, cut off the end of his index finger, darn near down to the first knuckle, in our old fashioned power "reel" style mower when he put his hand down there to brush the grass back into the catcher without turning the blades off. We kids and my mom were away at the time and came home to the mower in the yard, blood going in and out of the house, and the other car gone. Dad held the end of the finger, which was attached by a piece of skin, onto the rest of the finger, which he wrapped in paper towel or something, and drove himself down to the ER in the 3 on the tree Buick wagon we had back then. They re-attached it, and although he can't bend it far, and has reduced feeling there, it doesn't hold him back much.

Point is, stitches in your finger doesn't look like all that much fun. ;-) Hope it heals quickly and well for you.

Katastrophe
July 15th, 2008, 04:04 PM
Ouch, Hub, that hurts too many!

Quick recovery, man.

warren0728
July 15th, 2008, 04:18 PM
I definitely feel for you Hub. When I was still cooking for a living I had a bit of an accident with a knife and nearly removed the entirety of my fingertip on my left index finger. The time it took to heal was a lot longer than I intended to go without playing guitar so I found some work-around fingerings and/or dealt with the excruciating pain. Here's hoping you heal quickly.:AOK:
i was in the restaurant biz for many years and one night i cut the tip of my thumb off (never found it :eek: ) packed it with coffee grounds to stop the bleeding since there was nothing left to pull over and stitch....

hope you heal quickly....it hurt just looking at your pic...

ww

sunvalleylaw
July 15th, 2008, 04:42 PM

I did that a few times on a smaller basis, catching a little skin and maybe the corner of my nail, while using my chef's knife prep cooking for a living. It would happen when breaking down chickens at speed or cutting onions. I started wearing one of those knife deflecting gloves while doing chicken, figuring it was a part time, ski bum job, and that I would rather keep my fingertips. Before then, I became adept at bandaging finger ends. :thwap:

street music
July 15th, 2008, 05:13 PM
HUB, may I recommend a purchase of side cutters??? They cost a lot less than those stitches. OUCH! man that hurts almost as much as the thought Rocket brought up on that set of Ultra LIght strings. THE pain:thwap:

Spudman
July 15th, 2008, 06:13 PM
I'm really sorry I looked again :puke: I get the willies big time looking at that picture. My heart goes out to you.

You should maybe do the Michael Jackson thing (glove) for a while just to keep that hand clean so that it doesn't get infected and can heal well.

Speaking of Michael Jackson...what do Michael Jackson and Kmart have in common? They both have little boys pants half off.:D

Laughter is the best medicine.

hubberjub
July 15th, 2008, 06:48 PM
I'm really sorry I looked again :puke: I get the willies big time looking at that picture. My heart goes out to you.

You should maybe do the Michael Jackson thing (glove) for a while just to keep that hand clean so that it doesn't get infected and can heal well.

Speaking of Michael Jackson...what do Michael Jackson and Kmart have in common? They both have little boys pants half off.:D

Laughter is the best medicine.
I just took that picture while I was changing the bandages. I keep it clean and wrapped up.

magoo
July 15th, 2008, 10:12 PM
Ouch..this is one of my worst nightmares. I gig lots and heal poorly so this would be a problem.
Hope you heal fast Hub.

tot_Ou_tard
July 16th, 2008, 04:21 PM
Youch! that reminds me of when I slammed my finger in the front door.

ShootTheGlass
July 17th, 2008, 03:50 PM
I was cutting a plastic cable tie and the knife slipped. It was my own careless mistake. I'm not the brightest bulb in the lamp.

The description made my toes curl and my a**hole clench so much more than the picture ever could...