PDA

View Full Version : The world's fastest guitar player

Robert
July 16th, 2008, 07:06 AM
Check this Brazilian guy out. There's a lot of talking in the beginning - the actual playing starts 3 minutes in.

I don't know why speed is such an attractive skill when it comes to guitar playing, but I guess that's a whole new thread in itself...

BynUZOJc8QI

warren0728
July 16th, 2008, 07:13 AM
I don't know why speed is such an attractive skill when it comes to guitar playing, but I guess that's a whole new thread in itself...
true....i would rather here bb play one note....hold it....and make 5 different guitar faces while he's holding that note....than to listen to this guy who actually appeared pretty bored with the whole thing.... :whatever:

ww

Jimi75
July 16th, 2008, 07:29 AM
Hello Robert,

I think this is a really good find. This guy is not the "usual" shredder, he really plays very clean and well obviously he has really spent the 16h/day to achieve such skill. I only dislike the fact that he palm mutes almost everything he plays and the overall sound suffers alittle bit from it.

Refering to your question why speed is so attractive, I would say that it depends on what the listeners imagination of skill is. Unfortunately, a person like Paganini was more famous for the speed he played with, instead of his compositions, especially the ones for guitar that were just great. People like watching virtuosos because they show us that there are no limits.

For people like the most of us here the imagaination of skill is something different, it consists of good tone, phrasing and composing something that is "beautiful in the listeners ear" :-)

Jimi

WackyT
July 16th, 2008, 07:46 AM
Guess he has no concern for sustain in his guitars.

duhvoodooman
July 16th, 2008, 08:06 AM
Physically astonishing. Musically boring. **YAWN** :whatever:

jpfeifer
July 16th, 2008, 08:14 AM
Yeah, this guy has some great chops. It sounds awesome.

I remember going to see Al DiMeola at a small venue where I was able to sit about 10 feet away from him and watch him play for the whole show. It was mind blowing to see how much control he had with his right hand. The most incredible thing was that he could strum chords at the same speed as his blazzing single-note runs. (that was a night that I wanted to sell all of my instruments when I got home, and give it up :-)

I don't know why this kind of thing is so interesting on guitar. I often wonder if people would be as impressed with the same piece played on a violin or piano where these kinds of chops are more common, although still impressive. If that's true then why is it so interesting when guitarists do this? I think the answer is that it's much harder to do on guitar, but it must be more than that. I think that it has something to do with the tone of a guitar that makes it interesting?

For me, as impressive as this is, I get bored watching a person play like this for too long. After a while I'm not really paying attention to the music so much as I'm watching a technical demonstration of skill. The technical part of me takes over and I sit there wondering what angle they're holding their pick, etc.

I really like the players that balance their chops with the other musical aspects like tone and phrasing, etc. Guys like Eric Johnson or Steve Morse are really interesting to me because they seem to have this balance of chops with the other things that make guitar fun to listen to.

-- Jim

Tone2TheBone
July 16th, 2008, 08:57 AM
Somethings wrong with that guitar it's got 7 strings....

rkwrenn
July 16th, 2008, 09:15 AM
Fast is one thing but this is cool!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOs1HC29zh4

Remember he's blind and the vid is old!

Cheers,

Bob

sumitomo
July 16th, 2008, 10:16 AM
I like Jose better and that dog justa hanging out under the stool until he's finished.Sumi:D

sunvalleylaw
July 16th, 2008, 10:20 AM
With your latest half marathon race effort, I thought you were the world's fastest guitarist Rob! Re: this guy, I would love to have some of that skill, but I don't think I would enjoy playing that way all the time. Not my style. Impressive though, and I like it better than most speed playing or shredding I have seen. There is a sense of melody.

Slowhand
July 16th, 2008, 12:30 PM
I would love to just be able to put in 3 or 4 seconds of that in the middle of a solo but I would never be bothered to spend the huge amount of time to get up to and maintain that level of skill but thats about the amount of time it holds my interest.
You know you don't have to be fast to be good :poke: you still alive.