PDA

View Full Version : Got the SX GG1 SC

Rocket
July 16th, 2008, 03:49 PM
I've received the SX(Essex)GG1 from Rondo Music... here are some initial thoughts:

- My primary beef is with Rondo and not with the guitar manufacturer... it's a pretty basic LP Jr. clone.

- Took 8 days to arrive from NH. That's just too long for same coast shipping! Rondo should dump UPS and consider a new parcel service like FedEx who CAN move product same coast in 3 days or less.

- Parcel was shipped in original old, worn, & dried-out carton that it came to Rondo from China with no additional shipping material or protection. Rondo should, at very least, put in a new & protected carton. They charge for shipping... so use the charges for proper shipping.

- Guitar was not set up in any way... nor was it even attempted... in fact, the string wrap was not even disturbed.

- Like mentioned, this is a very basic model... plank with a neck. Body is ok... couple minor finish flaws, (I really don't care about that,) neck is straight, hardware & electronics all seem fine. I don't like the ultra-jumbo fretwire but some people might like it.

- Good beginner plank.

- Destined for eBay... I won't keep it.

luvmyshiner
July 16th, 2008, 04:16 PM
Hey Rocket, sorry to hear you had a bad experience brother. I feel kinda bad because I encouraged you to go for it. And of course I have to agree with you about UPS. I spent the extra money to have CB's delivered by Fed-Ex because I just don't trust UPS after the bad experiences I've had with them.

just strum
July 16th, 2008, 04:20 PM
I LUV UPS!!!

Go Brown

Rocket
July 16th, 2008, 04:36 PM
Hey Rocket, sorry to hear you had a bad experience brother. I feel kinda bad because I encouraged you to go for it. And of course I have to agree with you about UPS. I spent the extra money to have CB's delivered by Fed-Ex because I just don't trust UPS after the bad experiences I've had with them.
Don't feel bad... I wanted to see what the obscure brands were all about... now I know. I was truly curious about all that Rondo chat... I just won't give them any more of MY business.
The SX GG1 will make a good gift or prize, right?

mrmudcat
July 16th, 2008, 04:39 PM
I LUV UPS!!!

Go Brown

I hope you jest:thwap:

UPS brown reminds me of something..............oh yes now I remember:bootyshake: (poop)

luvmyshiner
July 16th, 2008, 04:44 PM
The SX GG1 will make a good gift or prize, right?

Or you could just find a woman you hate and give it to her. I thought that was the original plan anyway.:D

Rocket
July 16th, 2008, 04:51 PM
Or you could just find a woman you hate and give it to her.
(...or Strum!)

just strum
July 16th, 2008, 05:09 PM
nah, not overly interested.

Buy this

http://store.guitarfetish.com/nexvsomaflma.html

or

http://store.guitarfetish.com/nexvcamatose.html

I'll make sure they ship to you UPS so you are sour right out of the gate, then I will be open to negotiating a freebie.

Send it to one of the youngsters that's just starting out. Don't let Shiner try to tell you he's 16. He's down there in small town Texas, so since he's on his third marriage he has to be at least 17 or 18.

just strum
July 16th, 2008, 05:10 PM
(...or Strum!)

that could be taken a few ways.

Rocket
July 16th, 2008, 05:52 PM
nah, not overly interested.

Buy this

http://store.guitarfetish.com/nexvsomaflma.html

or

http://store.guitarfetish.com/nexvcamatose.html
Nah... I think I'll be giving more business to Epiphone as Gibson doesn't seem to give a crap about quality control any more.
Still lookin at that Charcoal Frost Metallic/Maple FA Strat tho... that's probably my next purchase:
http://www.fender.com/products/prod_images/guitars/0110402769_md.png

just strum
July 16th, 2008, 06:00 PM
Nah... I think I'll be giving more business to Epiphone as Gibson doesn't seem to give a crap about quality control any more.
Still lookin at that Charcoal Frost Metallic/Maple FA Strat tho... that's probably my next purchase:
http://www.fender.com/products/prod_images/guitars/0110402769_md.png

That is NICEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!

I'm leaning towards watching out for Dots. I'm acually more or less content at the moment with the Fender Strat, Epi Dot, and Epi Wildkat, plus the other three (I still think it's other four, but damn can't figure out what it is or where it's at).

Content is a loosely used word, so I'll report again in the morning.

tot_Ou_tard
July 16th, 2008, 07:46 PM
That review is greatly appreciated Rocket. That sort of feedback is very useful.

Send it to one of the youngsters that's just starting out. Don't let Shiner try to tell you he's 16. He's down there in small town Texas, so since he's on his third marriage he has to be at least 17 or 18.
& CB must be pushing 12...how long have they been married?

just strum
July 16th, 2008, 07:50 PM
That review is greatly appreciated Rocket. That sort of feedback is very useful.

& CB must be pushing 12...how long have they been married?

I think she was 6 on the wedding day. He claims that the only way she would marry him is if he kept her drunk. At that age it was probably easy to get her drunk, plus shiner figured it would also be economical.

Childbride
July 16th, 2008, 08:12 PM
let's just say i passed my TAAKS test that year. :D :beer:

just strum
July 16th, 2008, 08:19 PM
let's just say i passed my TAAKS test that year. :D :beer:

Toys Are Always Kept Shiny

luvmyshiner
July 16th, 2008, 08:45 PM
In September she'll finally be old enough to get her own driver's license. Thank God. I'm getting really tired of luggin' her butt all over town. It's always "Shiner, take me to the mall", or "Shiner, I'm going to be late for school". Geeez.:whatever:

just strum
July 16th, 2008, 08:51 PM
In September she'll finally be old enough to get her own driver's license. Thank God. I'm getting really tired of luggin' her butt all over town. It's always "Shiner, take me to the mall", or "Shiner, I'm going to be late for school". Geeez.:whatever:
:rotflmao:

Childbride
July 16th, 2008, 08:56 PM
ummm... honey... you're REALLY jeapordizing the PROM here... :D :rotflmao:

Kodiak3D
July 16th, 2008, 09:12 PM
Don't blame Rondo, blame UPS. They're on my bad list right now.

I had a package last week (non guitar related) making the long trek from Memphis, TN to Louisville, KY. It left on Monday morning about 3 AM, was scanned in to the Louisville hub around 10 or so Monday night, scanned onto a truck Tuesday morning at 9 AM...and then sent to Lexington. Scanned in there about 2 hours later, put back on a truck, and sent back to Louisville. I finally got it on Wednesday, a day later than the 2 day shipping I PAID FOR.

Rocket
July 16th, 2008, 09:59 PM
Don't blame Rondo, blame UPS.
I blame both.
Rondo for packaging & setup, (lack of...)
UPS for being s-l-o-w.

sumitomo
July 17th, 2008, 10:31 AM
I sorry you had a bum experience,the second guitar I got was not as good as that strat and UPS is great here the driver is one of my customers.Dont give up thought,You still cant beat a good guitar for 200 bucks.Sumi:D

just strum
July 17th, 2008, 11:27 AM
I have a package that was rushed into work that contained important paper, labels for a critical shipment that was sent to me "next day delivery"

2/3 of content destroyed - shipped Fedex. It happens to any of them.

Rocket
July 17th, 2008, 11:57 AM
I have a package that was rushed into work that contained important paper, labels for a critical shipment that was sent to me "next day delivery"

2/3 of content destroyed - shipped Fedex. It happens to any of them.
Did you get it "next day"?

tot_Ou_tard
July 18th, 2008, 05:48 AM
Yeah, you should've specified "Intact Delivery".

luvmyshiner
July 18th, 2008, 07:02 AM
Yeah, you should've specified "Intact Delivery".

I think you have to pay extra for that with any carrier.

just strum
July 18th, 2008, 09:59 AM

yes

just strum
July 18th, 2008, 10:03 AM
It's a regional thing. If Sweetwater ships me something FedEx it will, without fail, arrive 1 to 2 days later than if UPS delivers it. UPS on ground shipment from Sweetwater sometimes arrives next day, FedEx 3 or more.

That's why Sweetwater has instructions in my records - NO FEDEX

just strum
July 27th, 2008, 01:24 PM
Let's here it for FedEx

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h16/auroraohio/martintop2.jpg

The comment from a poster in another forum.

"That was a 1966 D-18 until FedEX ran a Truck or forklift over it. There were treadmarks on the box.

Didn't seem very funny to me!"

Sorry, I was compelled to post it.

Rocket
July 27th, 2008, 01:50 PM
I'll bet it got there on-time!

just strum
July 27th, 2008, 01:55 PM
I'll bet it got there on-time!

Probably right, the guy didn't complain about late arrival.

mechanic
July 27th, 2008, 02:19 PM
Let's here it for FedEx

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h16/auroraohio/martintop2.jpg

The comment from a poster in another forum.

"That was a 1966 D-18 until FedEX ran a Truck or forklift over it. There were treadmarks on the box.

Didn't seem very funny to me!"

Sorry, I was compelled to post it.

I bet those people on CSI could put that back together with a little wood glue!
Seriously though,
Sorry to hear you don't like your SX.
I've heard alot of good about them.
Eric

peachhead
July 27th, 2008, 02:57 PM
Probably right, the guy didn't complain about late arrival.

yeah but he should have gotten a partial refund, because it was obviously somewhat lighter upon arrival than it was when it was orignally shipped...

Rocket
July 27th, 2008, 03:13 PM
yeah but he should have gotten a partial refund, because it was obviously somewhat lighter upon arrival than it was when it was orignally shipped...
Why lighter?
Didn't lose mass... just structure.

peachhead
July 27th, 2008, 03:38 PM
The hole looked like it went all the way through the case, and by extension, I figured the box as well.

But, mainly because it just seemed funnier that way.

bigoldron
July 30th, 2008, 02:44 PM

At least you're not in Georgia, 'cause it's more like, "Cuzin' Shiner, take me to the jail to see Maw.", etc., etc.

Ah, the sweet twang of banjo music.... :whatever: :crazyguy:

peachhead
July 30th, 2008, 05:51 PM
At least you're not in Georgia, 'cause it's more like, "Cuzin' Shiner, take me to the jail to see Maw.", etc., etc.

Just watch out for that danged old train. :D

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: good one, Ron!

bigoldron
July 30th, 2008, 07:57 PM
Just watch out for that danged old train. :D

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: good one, Ron!

Ah, another DAC fan! At least it's not rainin'... :D

Bloozcat
August 1st, 2008, 10:02 AM
Well, here's a good illustration of the differences in the shipping speed of UPS vs. FedEx...

I ordered an SX SST 57 mahagony w/P-90's from Rondo on Wednesday morning of this week. The tracking information from UPS says that estimated delivery is next Tuesday. OK, that's six days, not bad, I thought. That's right on the date that I thought it would arrive.

When I was browsing through the Rondo site yesterday afternoon (Thursday), I noticed an SX dual humbucker tortoise shell pickguard there. Since I had planned to try a set of humbucking pickups in this guitar along with the P-90's, I ordered it.

Well, the estimated delivery date for the pickguard from FedEx is the same day as the UPS order placed the day before and in the morning. So, it looks like I'll be getting both pieces at the same time...which is both good and bad in a way, I guess...:confused:

luvmyshiner
August 1st, 2008, 10:13 AM

Just saw this post. Of course you're right Ron. There's always something to be thankful for.:D

ShortBuSX
August 2nd, 2008, 08:45 AM
To add to the shipping conversation, our company receives alot of packages from different carriers, but the thing that I ALWAYS notice with UPS delivered packages is that tape dont match! Everything always appears to have been opened at some point in time and then re-taped closed...usually with obviously different tape. Not that anything is ever missing...just still makes me uneasy.