PDA

View Full Version : Robben Ford - jazz and blues chords

Robert
July 18th, 2008, 08:23 AM
Good video.

BGhiRie4V_k

jpfeifer
July 18th, 2008, 09:50 AM
Fantastic! Thanks for sharing that video.
These are two of my favorite things, Robben Ford and cool chord voicings, a double whammy.

I really like what he says about the guitar being primarily a rhythm instrument and how important it is to play clean chordal parts in the pocket. It's so easy to get wrapped up in working on playing fast single-note solo things that we forget to exercise the other part of guitar playing, being a good rhythm player first and foremost.

It's one of the things that I really liked about so much of the guitar music during my formative years in the late 70's. There were lots of great rhythm guitar parts to be found in music all over the radio. I used to love to listen to Chuck Mangione's guitar player Grant Geissman for his rhythm parts. Earth Wind & Fire always had really cool groove-oriented guitar parts that were fun to play also.

It's one of the things that I really like about Stevie Ray's playing too. He has such a powerful groove when he plays rhythm parts and it really carries over into his solos too.

Great video. Thanks for sending that link.

-- Jim

tot_Ou_tard
July 18th, 2008, 10:05 AM
Very nice Robert. I like his attitude. I love groove which sits tight in the pocket, but throws off funky & jazzy bits now & then.

My plan was to work on rythym until I could get a real tight funky groove going, but I got sidetracked by electric fingerstyle blues. There's too much to learn & it takes waaaaay too long to learn each thing.

I'll get back to rythym later.

sumitomo
July 18th, 2008, 10:47 AM
He's great I bought a couple of tapes of his back in 1993 on I still try to learn from them,he is a little hard for me to follow because of his claw type approach which is great but you better know your fretboard cause rather than bend a note he will hop all over the fretboard to play to it.Sumi:D

warren0728
July 18th, 2008, 05:31 PM
great video...the more i listen and watch this stuff....the more i realize how little i actually know about playing these darn things! :greenguitar: :thwap:

ww