PDA

View Full Version : Hey Shiner

evenkeel
July 18th, 2008, 04:47 PM
Just tried a Shiner beer. Hefeweizen. Very nice stuff. :bravo:

Have also tried the traditional bock beer, also good stuff.

Maybe you Texas boys do know your beer!! :poke:

luvmyshiner
July 18th, 2008, 05:17 PM
Glad you enjoyed them Keel!:beer:

I wish Texas could take full credit for them, but the folks who started the Spoetzl Brewery back in 1909 were German immigrant farmers who missed their home brew.

http://www.shiner.com/home.php

And ya gotta love a good Hefeweizen don't ya? Especially with a slice of lemon or even orange. Lately I've been enjoying the Bohemian Black Lager myself. It's a little bit heavier(?) fuller bodied beer. They also have free public tours of the facility AND free beer at the end of the tour.:bravo:

Funny thing is I've never actually been to the brewery even though it's only about three hours away from Waco.:cry: I might have to make that pilgrimage before the end of the summer.

tot_Ou_tard
July 18th, 2008, 08:08 PM
I love a good Hefeweizen.

Send some my way.

Katastrophe
July 18th, 2008, 08:10 PM
I tried the Bohemian Black Lager recently, and it was tasty.

I have to admit that Shiner Bock is my favorite.:beer:

just strum
July 18th, 2008, 08:46 PM
Anyone know how many states the beer is sold in? I'll work a trade 6 pack of Shiner for a bottle of fortified wine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thunderbird_(wine)

A couple of stores in the area have beer from different location around the US, I will have to see if they carry it.

I would like to try some of the Rev's beer. All the home brew I've had has a bite that is lacking in the store brew.

luvmyshiner
July 18th, 2008, 09:21 PM
I've been able to find Shiner in every State I've traveled to in the last three years, including (but not limited to . . . :D <-legal disclaimer thingie) New Mexico, Nevada, Kansas, Missouri, Arizona and . . . um . . . Georgia) but for some reason they charge import prices for them (eight bucks, OH EXCUSE ME 7.99 a six pack).

Check the liquor stores Strum. If you can't find them there, let me know and I'll ship you a six pack (fed-ex only, I don't trust those SOB's at UPS:D ).

Steve206
July 18th, 2008, 09:55 PM
On an extended 3 day pass out of Heidelberg, a group of us, some military and some civilian, rolled into Munich for the Octoberfest.

Got there at dawn and made it to the Lowenbrau brewery around 8 am. I believe that the tours started around 8:30 or 9:00 and the bunch of us were first in line. After the tour we repaired to the lobby/gasthaus and talked to each other about the beauty of the hop. They woke me up around 10:30 as I had claimed a side corner of a stone bench to relax on.

Went to the big tent thing that afternoon and ended up with a dozen or more of those fantastic Litre-sized, beer steins. Oom-pah-pah bands and swaying from side to side with folks from around the world, while drinking beer in a hall where Adolph Hitler made speechs can seem like a strange right of passage.

Safer than running with the bulls.

Steve