PDA

View Full Version : ...and in the 60's...

just strum
July 18th, 2008, 07:32 PM
http://moreoldfortyfives.com/TakeMeBackToTheSixties.htm

warren0728
July 18th, 2008, 08:14 PM
cool post....i was just a kid in the 60's (born in '62) but i remember a lot of that stuff! :AOK:

ww

evenkeel
July 19th, 2008, 06:01 AM
Thanks Strum. Very cool video.

I was born in '53 so it was a real fun trip down memory lane.

just strum
July 19th, 2008, 06:20 AM
Thanks Strum. Very cool video.

I was born in '53 so it was a real fun trip down memory lane.

54 here, it was a trip.

M29
July 19th, 2008, 06:44 AM
Cool Strum:AOK: My birthday was 53 as well. I see one of those Schwinn Stingray five speeds in the opening picture? I remember one was an Orange Crate. Oh man all the drag racing, the Beatles, Moody Blues, Stones, the Who smashing their gear. I was just starting to play drums then and could not believe they smashed that gear. Oh yeah the Dave Clark Five, Beach music......What a great time to grow up:bravo:

M29

Katastrophe
July 19th, 2008, 09:50 AM
Unfortuantely, I missed out on the 60s (born in 72), but I remember the 70s...

That was a great slideshow, though.

marnold
July 19th, 2008, 06:33 PM
Man, you guys are OLD! :)

I barely snuck in for the last 22.5 months of the 60s.

just strum
July 19th, 2008, 06:53 PM

I actually said 54 so the other guys didn't feel out of place. I was born in uh, um, um - 71. Yep, 71 it says so right here on my license - see?

evenkeel
July 19th, 2008, 07:08 PM

Rotten, snot nose kids!! No respect for his elders. Sounds just like me, in the 60's!! :D

Childbride
July 19th, 2008, 09:19 PM
very cool clip, strum.

i was born three months before the 60's were over though, my baby book had neil armstrong in it. :)

i enjoyed it.

piebaldpython
July 19th, 2008, 09:47 PM
OK, ya young'uns........here's the reality of the 60's......born in '56 in Philly......because of our massive Naval shipyard and other governmental agencies, we were one of the top targets if the Commies wanted to nuke us. Every week, we had "air raid" practice in school. I lived 2 blocks from the Navy Depot and we had the "air raid" siren that went off every Wednesday. Of course, being a kid in the 60's, only two things mattered......one, that the Phils choked in '64....and two, that the Sixers won the NBA title in '67. Oh yeah, and by the late 60's, the music finally got good!! ahhahahaahha

sumitomo
July 19th, 2008, 10:08 PM
I'm 51 so I was pretty young but ya see I have an older sister and I remember all that stuff real well ya know my sister still has her orginal stones album and revolver too.Sumi:D

marnold
July 20th, 2008, 11:54 AM
I was just old enough (9 mos) to watch the Tigers win the World Series--an event which basically kept the entire city of Detroit from burning to the ground. Still waiting for that Lions' championship . . . the last one was when I was -11.

Spudman
July 20th, 2008, 12:12 PM
Aaayiiiiiieeeeeee! Nostalgia overload.:thwap:

I started feeling really strange watching that. Being a kid in the 60's was great. I want to go back. Mainly so I could tell my folks not to sell the Model T and to not sell the property in Monterey and so I could warn myself to stay away from Charlene.

just strum
July 20th, 2008, 12:42 PM
I was just old enough (9 mos) to watch the Tigers win the World Series--an event which basically kept the entire city of Detroit from burning to the ground. Still waiting for that Lions' championship . . . the last one was when I was -11.

I was at the Henry Ford Museum earlier in the day and we stayed at a hotel that was on one of the roads that lead right to the stadium. I had completely forgot about the World Series and laying in bed watching TV, suddenly the outside erupted. Don't really know if we were listening to fireworks or guns, but we didn't venture out.

bigoldron
July 20th, 2008, 04:50 PM
Born: July 12, 1961 in a small town in Southwest Georgia. Lived here all of my life. Being a small, rural town in the South, I didn't get to experience some of the late 60's culture, but we made up for it in the late 70's. Except for the butt-busting of the freshmen, the movie "Dazed and Confused" is way too scarily familiar. We did all the partying, drinking and dope-smoking and had our popular hangouts too.

Fortunately, most of us lived to outgrow most of that junk. I'm now a graying, over-weight, middle-aged old fart, but I still love my Classic Rock and Southern Rock. I don't miss an opportunity to embarrass my 17 year old daughter with my rock-and-roll and love every minute of it.

The 60's and 70's, to me, were the era of some of the greatest rock and roll of all time. I've stated before, that I'm not a fan of the 80's and 90's, but I'm sure some of it's really good. Anyway, that's my 2 cents worth. :dude:

TS808
July 20th, 2008, 06:12 PM
I was born in 1960 and was much too young to appreciate alot of the music and events. Here I am now at 47, listening to 60's music, appreciating artists like Hendrix, old Bluesmen, etc.

I do remember things like the Beatles of course, the Stones, and the Ed Sullivan show.

TS808
July 20th, 2008, 06:15 PM
The 60's and 70's, to me, were the era of some of the greatest rock and roll of all time. I've stated before, that I'm not a fan of the 80's and 90's, but I'm sure some of it's really good. Anyway, that's my 2 cents worth.

I'm right there with you in agreement. The music of the 60's and 70's was the best, in my opinion. Think about the bands...the Beatles, the Stones, the Who, Eagles, Badfinger, CCR, Grand Funk, Hendrix.....you just don't see bands with that notoriety or longevity these days. Plus, no one has really been able to capture that sound of some of those bands these days.