PDA

View Full Version : Played a gig today and one more tonight

Spudman
July 19th, 2008, 02:49 PM
Just got done playing a gig in the park after the parade. It was to benefit a youth foundation and I don't know which one.

Anyway...a keyboard player sat in with us and sounded great. He's gigged in L.A. for some time and is living here now. He just happens to work where Mrs. Spud works too. No rehearsals. I just wrote down the song titles and keys and off we went. It sounded really good and put the other bands to shame (modestly repeating what I was told).

Tonight we are doing a large outdoor party ala Krashpad style. It's out of town along a creek in the forest and is an annual event. Darrin the keyboardist will be playing with us also. He's packing a Hammond B3 and Leslie. What a monster...but it sounds great.

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w149/srspud/Gigs/July192008019.jpg

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w149/srspud/Gigs/July192008029.jpg

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w149/srspud/Gigs/July192008013.jpg

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w149/srspud/Gigs/July192008006.jpg

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w149/srspud/Gigs/July192008021.jpg

street music
July 19th, 2008, 02:59 PM
Sounds like a great time, good music brings out good people for fun , food and drink.

jpfeifer
July 19th, 2008, 03:57 PM
Sounds like a lot of fun Spudman. Have fun that the gig tonight!
Send some more pictures.

That Steve Lukather guitar looks great.

-- Jim

just strum
July 19th, 2008, 04:28 PM
The Spudster with the Luke:AOK:

luvmyshiner
July 19th, 2008, 04:40 PM
Sweet! Break a leg tonight brother.

evenkeel
July 19th, 2008, 04:48 PM
Very nice. Sounds like a great time.

Hammond B3 and some whirling Leslies. Another flashback!!

tot_Ou_tard
July 19th, 2008, 04:57 PM
The Spudster with the Luke:AOK:
That's why his name is Luke Skyrawker.

It used to be Spud Skyrawker until he got the Luke.

How was the H&K Spud?

just strum
July 19th, 2008, 05:02 PM
How was the H&K Spud?

I didn't even catch that in the background. Yep, interested in hearing how the amp performed at the gig(s).

Spudman
July 19th, 2008, 05:32 PM
How was the H&K Spud?

It performs very well. No lack of anything. I might have even been a little loud. ha ha 20 watts...go figure.

This baby takes a Tube Screamer very well. I'm almost afraid to use the ZYS for fear that when I hear it it will be time to die as I have experienced complete tonal nirvana. All my pedals sound better with the H&K actually.

just strum
July 19th, 2008, 05:43 PM
This baby takes a Tube Screamer very well. I'm almost afraid to use the ZYS for fear that when I hear it it will be time to die as I have experienced complete tonal nirvana. All my pedals sound better with the H&K actually.

Great when it works out that way.

Childbride
July 19th, 2008, 05:47 PM
Very cool! :D

just strum
July 19th, 2008, 05:52 PM
Crocs?

Spudman
July 19th, 2008, 06:24 PM
Crocs?

If anybody has some I'll be sure to take some pictures.;)

warren0728
July 19th, 2008, 07:36 PM
cool...bet the organ player was a nice addition... :AOK:

ww

tot_Ou_tard
July 19th, 2008, 08:38 PM
It performs very well. No lack of anything. I might have even been a little loud. ha ha 20 watts...go figure.

Glad to hear that ;).

Are you running wireless?

sumitomo
July 19th, 2008, 09:58 PM
Way to go Skyrawker,looks as if you guys will need the force to move that organ around,oh no Im not going there I mean the Hammon B3.I know you guys better now.Sumi:D

SuperSwede
July 20th, 2008, 04:38 AM
Ooh.. Luke!

I see that the force is with you young padawan!

sunvalleylaw
July 20th, 2008, 10:16 AM
:D Luke and Kettner, sounds good! Go ahead, try that ZYS next time. I bet you rock and can't pass on because you need to experience that feeling a bunch more times. Looking good!, but your knees are showing!??? :confused: ;) :D

Glad you had so much fun bro, and wish I could have heard you.

Spudman
July 20th, 2008, 10:37 AM
Made it through the evening gig.

We were told there would be a large enough generator to get us through but when the guy pulled it out of the box it turned out to be much smaller than originally thought. Everything electrical was going haywire when the bass player and organist would hit a hard note together. We didn't blow anything but it felt like at any minute we could.

To the rescue
It just so happened that at the early gig that afternoon I saw an old friend and she told me she was getting married soon and then introduced me to her fiance'. They mentioned they would be coming to the gig at night and so they did. When they discovered the generator issue they drove all the way back to town and got theirs for us.:AOK: They really saved the day and now want us to play at their wedding reception. So that worked out nicely.

The last two sets were pretty darn cold as we were in the mountains. We could see our breath and our fingers were getting very sluggish but we managed to play on. We were able to come up with about 6 songs that we had never done before so it allowed us to stretch the sets. Yes Warren the keyboardist is a great addition and we'll be doing more gigs with him for sure. He'll be coming to rehearsal, um the open mic, tonight and we'll get to do it all over again and then some. More invention.

It was a good junior boxing event for some of the women and I'm sorry to report their were no Crocks in sight.

Tibernius
July 20th, 2008, 11:18 AM
Slightly Off-Topic, but...

Did you have to run it through a PA system, or was it loud enough on its own?

I've been thinking about getting a 15 watt Valve-Jr based amp, but I didn't think it would be loud enough for gigs.

Spudman
July 20th, 2008, 12:17 PM
Slightly Off-Topic, but...

Did you have to run it through a PA system, or was it loud enough on its own?

I've been thinking about getting a 15 watt Valve-Jr based amp, but I didn't think it would be loud enough for gigs.

That really depends on the gig. If you are pushing vocals through the P.A. you might as well get some guitar in there too. But if everyone is considerate of their volume it will do well not miced in venues up to about 75. If the crowd noise goes up then just drape a mic over it so that the PA can get it above the heads of everyone.

Robert
July 20th, 2008, 06:02 PM
Nice pics! So tell us more about your band (and members). How did you hook up? You might have told us, but I am old and forgetful.

I thought you had long hair, man! What happened? You look like a schoolboy now.

Spudman
July 21st, 2008, 08:05 AM
Here is the only salvageable picture from the evening gig. The camera operator was having a little trouble getting pictures to come out correctly. I think the settings were off.

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w149/srspud/Gigs/IMGP4920.jpg

tot_Ou_tard
July 22nd, 2008, 06:10 AM
Here is the onloy salvageable picture from the evening gig. The camera operator was having a little trouble getting pictures to come out correctly. I think the settings were off.

Nice euphemism there. ;)