PDA

View Full Version : Replacing Tubes in Valve Jr

just strum
July 19th, 2008, 03:44 PM
Ok, the tube thing is a new arena for me, so it will come with stupid questions.

today we will start with - How do I remove the tubes in the Valve Jr?

Now let me cut off some of the introductions to the responses.

1) I am not going to have it plugged in and on.

2) I am not going to stand in a full pale of water.

I've done that twice, I'm not falling for it a third time.

I went to Eurotubes and they get into technical jargon that means little to me at this point. I'm the guy that won't pull into the gas station to get directions, so I'm not going to make an effort at technical jargon at the moment.

A) The one tube in the amp has a clip with springs - do I just pull that down and move it to the side?

B) The other has an aluminum housing around it, how do I remove it?

c) Do I need to concern myself with skin oil getting on the tube during installation?

That's my stupid questions for the day.

Spudman
July 19th, 2008, 03:49 PM
You can't. Those are disposable amphs and you just recycle them when the tubes are shot.

It isn't rocker science. It's is a tube that plugs into a socket. Free it up and gently but firmly wiggle it slightly and pull. Out it will come.

just strum
July 19th, 2008, 04:25 PM
You can't. Those are disposable amphs and you just recycle them when the tubes are shot.

It isn't rocker science. It's is a tube that plugs into a socket. Free it up and gently but firmly wiggle it slightly and pull. Out it will come.

Thanks for a couple of things

1) assuring me that there was no secret removal technique.

2) Explaining the BIC label on the back.

and a thanks to Dreadman for the finger flashlight. It makes showing Spudman so much more meaningful.

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h16/auroraohio/DSC00308.jpg

Spudman
July 19th, 2008, 05:35 PM
and a thanks to Dreadman for the finger flashlight. It makes showing Spudman so much more meaningful.

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h16/auroraohio/DSC00308.jpg

Hmmm. Looks like you got the brown off.:D

So did you get the tubes pulled or not?

just strum
July 19th, 2008, 05:42 PM
So did you get the tubes pulled or not?

Yep, she's cooking right now. Nice improvement.

I figured if I didn't check with someone I would end up yanking a tube only to have someone post "oh, you never do it that way".

Thanks,

sumitomo
July 19th, 2008, 09:51 PM
What tubes did ya use strum? I've had mine for awhile maybe its time to try some.Sumi:D

Kazz
July 21st, 2008, 04:45 AM
Since strum asked and it went pretty much unanswered....is it still a big deal about not getting fingerprints and hand oil on the tubes?

I seem to recall hearing about that back in the day when TVs still had tubes.

I guess sooner or later I am going to have to change the tubes in the old classic 30.....or better yet I guess I should just hold tight and let the new owner change them himself....seeing he should be all practiced up :-)

mrmudcat
July 21st, 2008, 08:08 AM
Kazz in my opinion it is best to avoid doing exactly that.:D

I am real anal about it to the point ill use a rubber glove(like doctors or dishwashers;) ) or hold it with a tissue!:bravo:

luvmyshiner
July 21st, 2008, 08:31 AM
Mudcat, when I installed the tubes on the Firefly, I used my hands, but then wiped all the fingerprints off with a cotton cloth. Is that sufficient or should I avoid touching them at all?

Rocket
July 21st, 2008, 09:03 AM
The old fingerprint tale with tubes was with projector tubes... they were extremely bright and generated very high heat. The skin oils left on those tubes would sizzle and make the thin glass swell up, blister, and eventually blow out and shatter the tube. Didn't take very long either!
Amp(h) tubes don't generate that kind of light & heat and I've never had a problem handling them... but Mudcat is right... should keep clean anyway.

tot_Ou_tard
July 21st, 2008, 09:41 AM
Jeez, I'm happy to know that fingerprints aren't really an issue, because I've never heard of this before.

I'll be more careful in the future, however.

mrmudcat
July 21st, 2008, 03:00 PM
Rocket ive always used an old t-shirt or cotton cloth(gloves) when changing /installing tubes.I still believe and clearly in my opinion the oils from your skin if left on can cause hotspots eventually leading to cracks etc. The oil will heat up when the tubes do therefore causing more wear on those spots.(again strictly my opinion):rockon: :beer: etc.

mrmudcat
July 21st, 2008, 03:02 PM
Mudcat, when I installed the tubes on the Firefly, I used my hands, but then wiped all the fingerprints off with a cotton cloth. Is that sufficient or should I avoid touching them at all?

Sufficient in my opinion:AOK:

Bloozcat
July 22nd, 2008, 08:30 AM
You might want to try picking up one (or two) of these tubes while they're still available:
http://www.tubemonger.com/1980s_Reflector_Russian_MIL_6P14P_EB_EV_EL84M_p/329.htm

Since the Valve Jr. only uses one power tube, matching isn't an issue. So, the fact that these tubes are only available in singles doesn't matter. This tube is one of the last of the affordable NOS EL84 types out there. It's a Russian Mil. 7189 - 6P14P-EB(EV) - to be exact. It's a suitable EL 84 replacement that can handle ungodly plate voltage and not even burp. The only caveat that I would offer is that these tubes have a break-in period. They can sound a little harsh at first, but after several hours of use, they mellow out. They have a bit more upper-mid/highs than say, a JJ, but in a Valve Jr. this can be a good thing (especially if it's an un-modified VJ).

Anyway, I just thought I'd pass this along in case you might have some interest.

BTW, I have two matched quads of these tubes stashed away...:D