PDA

View Full Version : Naming guitars.

tot_Ou_tard
July 20th, 2008, 05:29 AM
So who else besides Brian names their guitars?

I haven't yet.

If you have a photo, you can post it here. If you want the Fret to name it, I'm sure that we'll come up with something ;).

Brian, how about posting the photo of your stable again & tell us all the names.

just strum
July 20th, 2008, 05:50 AM
This comes up on almost every forum. I've seen it on car forums as well.

Here is my standing rule, they came with birth names and I keep them with their birth names. WildKat, Dot, Strat... If I have multiples of the same, then it's white Strat, red Strat. So far it's worked out just fine, I've had no race wars between the guitars.

sunvalleylaw
July 20th, 2008, 10:11 AM
Nope. And I am not convinced mine are girls either. More like "The Strat", "The Fully", etc.

sumitomo
July 21st, 2008, 07:44 PM
I name all my guitars and my cars also,My fender strat is Camile,my custom tele is rosie,I have three newer ones no names yet,one is comming out for my parker (piece of crap).Sumi:D

tot_Ou_tard
July 21st, 2008, 07:48 PM
Iyet,one is comming out for my parker (piece of crap).Sumi:D
Wasp?

Or per Sir Spudly: Fred or Barney.

Gil Janus
July 21st, 2008, 08:24 PM
I've named my electrics. My one acoustic doesn't have a name.

I use Japanese names - I like they way they sound. I've also named my 2001 Mazda Miata - a British Racing Green SE - it's named Washu - after an anime character - the character always wears green and is a scientist. I know, I've been called crazy.

My electrics:

2005 Squier '51 - Black - 7+ lbs - named Taka (Hawk)
2006 Squier Standard Stratocaster - Special Edition Cherryburst - 8 lbs - named Yume (Dream)

I've got another Strat comming, but I'm still working on a name for it. Until I have it hand it shall remain unnamed.

Gil :cool:

just strum
July 21st, 2008, 08:29 PM
Do any of these named guitars actually come to you when you call them?

Gil Janus
July 21st, 2008, 08:43 PM
No, but I get ignored by the dogs too :thwap:

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb33/giljanus/Vermont/DSC00019.jpg

See one dog ignoring me, and the other trying to command me - Open the door dummy :poke:

That's Pepa ignoring me, and Sherlock commanding me. :bravo:

Gil :cool:

just strum
July 21st, 2008, 08:45 PM
No, but I get ignored by the dogs too :thwap:

I have a wife and kids that do that. In fact, the guitars tend to listen better.

luvmyshiner
July 21st, 2008, 09:11 PM
My guitars tell me their names. In fact, say hello to my first male guitar.

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m159/luvmyshiner/My%20DAquisto/P3240002.jpg

Say hello to . . . TROGDOR!!

http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail58.html

Spudman
July 21st, 2008, 10:36 PM
I named my first new Strat. It was an ash hardtail that looked like Richie Blackmore's so I named it Rainbow. That was the only one I've ever named. Can you imagine how hard it would be for me to remember all their names now? Sheesh.

Ch0jin
July 22nd, 2008, 02:04 AM
I've always thought of my cars and guitars as females, but never named them apart from derivatives of their actual names "The Strat" "The Hardtop" etc..

tot_Ou_tard
July 22nd, 2008, 05:54 AM
Can you imagine how hard it would be for me to remember all their names now? Sheesh.
& they'd get all mopey & unresponsive if you called one by the wrong name.

My guitars tell me their names. In fact, say hello to my first male guitar.

Say hello to . . . TROGDOR!!

http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail58.html
Burninating the Countryside!

Great to see anothe Homestar Runner fan here.

But I have to say, that is the most untrogdor-looking guitar I've ever seen. ;)

luvmyshiner
July 22nd, 2008, 07:06 AM
Yeah, CB doesn't like that name either Tot. But it's definitely a red dragon!:rotflmao:

evenkeel
July 22nd, 2008, 07:17 AM
I'm with strum and svlaw on this one. "The Guild", "The Martin".

The names can vary slightly. When I'm struggling with a new tune, or restringing the slot head. Then it's, "The %^&*(@ Guild", etc., etc.. :thwap: :D

Brian Krashpad
July 22nd, 2008, 08:00 AM
So who else besides Brian names their guitars?

I haven't yet.

If you have a photo, you can post it here. If you want the Fret to name it, I'm sure that we'll come up with something ;).

Brian, how about posting the photo of your stable again & tell us all the names.

OK.

http://a776.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/121/l_e1d954fe962189add3ca3c3ee407b837.jpg

Left column, top to bottom:
Pearl
Stormy
Joan
Seven
Violet
Chrissie
Cassandra (Cassie)
Rose/Rosie
Ruby
Cherie
Nell

Right column, top to bottom:
Goldie
Corrine
Sonia
Candy
Ol' Blue
Theresa
Valerie
Brownie
Raquel
Rickie
Blondie

Obviously, a lot of the names are simply a reference to the color, finish, or appointments of the guitar. A goodly number of others are references/puns to the model name. A handful are rather obscure, but each has an actual explanation to it; in no case did one get a name, like say "Chrissie" just because I picked the name at random or because I felt the guitar should have that name for some unknown reason.

I'll see if you all can guess the origins of each name, but will tell you that the following are nigh on impossible to figure out without more info than the above visual and the model name: Seven, Chrissie, and Nell. Seven is basically impossible to figure out. For Chrissie and Nell I will give clues: Chrissie is so named because she is a Hamer Special (this is very obscure), Nell is a color reference (also very obscure, although some of you Canucks in particular might make the connection). Violet is also a color reference but you'd probably need a better/larger pic to "get" that'un.

Let's hear some guesses. :AOK:

Spudman
July 22nd, 2008, 08:15 AM
Pearl = pickguard
Stormy = tempest
Goldie = metal parts
Corrine = coral pink
Valerie = viper
Raquel = curves

Brian Krashpad
July 22nd, 2008, 08:30 AM
Pearl = pickguard
Stormy = tempest
Goldie = metal parts
Corrine = coral pink
Valerie = viper
Raquel = curves

Those are good guesses! The first three are correct.

Corrine is a model name reference, the model is "Choirboy," so it's sorta an alliteration. The color on that'un is an old Fender custom color match, Burgundy Mist, so she coulda been Misty. However, I have an acquaintance named Misty who had something of a falling-out with the lead singer in one of my bands, so that was out. ;)

Valerie is also a model name reference, the model is "Valkyrie."

Knowing those 2, revise your guess as to "Raquel." :poke:

just strum
July 22nd, 2008, 10:09 AM
Can you imagine how hard it would be for me to remember all their names now? Sheesh.

George Foreman solved that problem.

mrmudcat
July 22nd, 2008, 10:33 AM
I name all my guitars and cars:whatever:

Yes all are female:bootyshake:

ShortBuSX
July 22nd, 2008, 11:02 AM
Nell

Nell Carter? From the Facts of Life?

http://www.sitcomsonline.com/photopost/data/985/nell6.jpg

If not, try and forget that when you pick her up! :rotflmao:

Brian Krashpad
July 22nd, 2008, 11:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudman

George Foreman resolved that problem.

That's why all my guitars are named based on some relationship between the guitar (model, color, etc.) and the name. If I used just random names I'd never be able to remember them all.

Brian Krashpad
July 22nd, 2008, 11:11 AM
Nell Carter? From the Facts of Life?

http://www.sitcomsonline.com/photopost/data/985/nell6.jpg

If not, try and forget that when you pick her up! :rotflmao:

No, "Nell" is based on the guitar's colors, red and black. Any good Canuck (or any Blue Oyster Cult fan) can tell you that red and black are the colors of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, or Mounties. The most famous Mountie ever was the fictional Dudley Do-Right cartoon character.

Whose girlfriend's name was...

wait for it...

Nell!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/e/e3/DoRightCast.JPG/350px-DoRightCast.JPG

Simple really, wunnit?

Katastrophe
July 22nd, 2008, 11:42 AM
My guitars all have the same name...

Mine!

:D

Steve206
July 22nd, 2008, 12:27 PM
And for the final answer,,,,

The name of Dudley's Horse?????

Steve

Rocket
July 22nd, 2008, 01:08 PM
And for the final answer,,,,

The name of Dudley's Horse?????

Steve
"Horse"

Childbride
July 22nd, 2008, 04:55 PM
all of mine are named but the strat... sometimes they take awhile to tell me their names.

Trogdor... i refuse to believe that a guitar that beautiful told him that name. :messedup:

KrisH
July 22nd, 2008, 05:37 PM
They all have pretty generic names: the Dot, the Strat, the Folk, etc. Except for the first Washburn I bought ("the Tank") and the EB-3 -- "My Precious".

warren0728
July 22nd, 2008, 05:41 PM
my kids name my guitars....

http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/thum_35476d1d2011b73.jpg (http://www.thefret.net/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=183)
left to right: cheesy (they think the quilted maple top looks like cheese), red, thunder....the only one i named (named after johnny thunders who was a friend of my buddy i got the gibson from....johnny played several les paul specials), reso, tele, blackie, blue...

ww

mrmudcat
July 22nd, 2008, 05:51 PM
all of mine are named but the strat... sometimes they take awhile to tell me their names.

Trogdor... i refuse to believe that a guitar that beautiful told him that name. :messedup:

Yea to me she looks like Sunset Suzie;)

just strum
July 22nd, 2008, 05:58 PM
Yea to me she looks like Sunset Suzie;)

this is a side of you I never expected.

mrmudcat
July 22nd, 2008, 11:16 PM
Hey my creative juices have to flow somewhere. Since taking a wing shot I HAVE BEEN BORED;)

tot_Ou_tard
July 23rd, 2008, 05:22 AM

You can call it Marzipan

http://www.hrwiki.org/images/6/6a/NewestMarzipan.png (http://www.hrwiki.org/index.php/Image:NewestMarzipan.png)

just to spite him ;).

No, "Nell" is based on the guitar's colors, red and black. Any good Canuck (or any Blue Oyster Cult fan) can tell you that red and black are the colors of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, or Mounties. The most famous Mountie ever was the fictional Dudley Do-Right cartoon character.

Whose girlfriend's name was...

wait for it...

Nell!

Simple really, wunnit?
So you play the frog&toad--Road game eh?

When I was a kid, I'd sometimes see how long a loop of connections I could make.

I'd start with a word & move to a related word. It could rhyme or be another name for the same thng or be connected by a common phrase. In the end you had to come back to the same name.

We had no TV at the time (ours broke & my dad refused to buy a new one) ;).

Brian Krashpad
July 23rd, 2008, 06:10 AM
So you play the frog&toad--Road game eh?

When I was a kid, I'd sometimes see how long a loop of connections I could make.

I'd start with a word & move to a related word. It could rhyme or be another name for the same thng or be connected by a common phrase. In the end you had to come back to the same name.

We had no TV at the time (ours broke & my dad refused to buy a new one) ;).

Interesting. I'd never heard of frog&toad but that is how my mind works anyhow.

We always had a TV. My dad is an electrical engineer and worked in communications in the navy. Of course, back in the day at most there were 3 commercial networks and PBS.

On the frog&toad point, here's another of my odder name explanations, for my Hamer Special. She's called Chrissie, after Chrissie Hynde.

Now, Ms. Hynde is well-known as a Tele player, not a P-90 gal. So wot's the connection?

Remember the song "Brass in Pocket?"

Remember the catch phrase in the chorus?

That's right, you got it...

"I'm special..."

OK, I know, I'm weird.

tot_Ou_tard
July 23rd, 2008, 06:14 AM
Interesting. I'd never heard of frog&toad but that is how my mind works anyhow.

That's a Brit-thing.

Let's go down the frog (ie road because frog & toad -- Road).

OK, I know, I'm weird.
That's why we like you. ;)

Brian Krashpad
July 23rd, 2008, 06:17 AM
That's a Brit-thing.

Let's go down the frog (ie road because frog & toad -- Road).

Ah, OK, like Cockney rhyming slang. I dig.

wingsdad
July 23rd, 2008, 07:50 AM
Yes, I've always named my guitars, various logical or illogical names. It's not a matter of how to remember them; it's about the 'relationship'.

I just put these insurance rider group shots in the 'How many' thread. But since the names are legible, I'll throw them here.

Electrics:

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b81/wingsdad/ElectricGuitars042608bAnon.jpg

Acoustics & Misc:

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b81/wingsdad/AcousticGuitars021008anon.jpg

Brian Krashpad
July 23rd, 2008, 07:56 AM
Noyce!

I have a Candy and a Honey too. And a Cherie (somewhere between your Cherry and Sherry).

Great minds think alike. :AOK:

wingsdad
July 23rd, 2008, 08:08 AM
Great minds think alike. :AOK:
I s'pose so, Brian. ;) Like you naming 'Special' after the line in the Pretenders tune, the Wash NV100C semi-solid nylon string, 'Lola' is named because the first thing I played on her in the store when I was buying her was that tune. Not a reso like Ray Davies used, but sure does the job going from those big chords of the intro to the fingerpicking under the opening verse.

luvmyshiner
July 23rd, 2008, 08:22 AM
Hey Wings, I completely forgot about that lap steel. If I recall correctly, you had to clean that baby up quite a bit! How's she sound?

I still think my favorite of your guitars is the NV100C. I just love the thin body on that puppy. It's a shame Washburn isn't making those things anymore. I really need to give some thought to adding a classical to my collection at some point.

thearabianmage
July 23rd, 2008, 08:59 AM
Washu - after an anime character - the character always wears green and is a scientist. I know, I've been called crazy.

Tenchi Muyo!!!

I name the guitars that mean something to me, or are special in some way. Bessie is my baby - my first real guitar (3rd ever) - and she's a BC Rich NJ Series Warlock with a quilted maple top and trans red paint.

Poop is my buddy, he's my Jackson DKMG - and I named him 'Poop' because he's not. . .

Lady Ivy or just The Lady is my nylon-string, electro-acoustic. She's got a shallow body and a fine vine inlay - thus the name.

And the last guitar I've named is my recent project that is almost complete. That cheap Strat copy I bought for £7.50 and - over the past 2 months - have turned into a keeper. That's 'Bubba'. And I carved it into the headstock, so it's final as well.

So as far as 'the family' is concerned, I've got, respectively, my baby, my buddy, my mistress, and my son.

My bass and two fretless acoustic guitars don't have names, sadly.

Katastrophe
July 23rd, 2008, 09:36 AM
You have to post pics now of "Bubba."

That, and I don't think I've ever seen a fretless acoustic! How do they play?

thearabianmage
July 23rd, 2008, 10:27 AM
You have to post pics now of "Bubba."

That, and I don't think I've ever seen a fretless acoustic! How do they play?

I just lacquered Bubba yesterday, so in a couple weeks, I get to polish him/her (p800-p1200-rubbing compound-guitar polish-hand buff) and then I plan to share Bubba with everyone here on TheFret with some pics and sound clips (I've got the Chromacaster installed, and they are, indeed, excellent. This is my 2nd, in fact)

Both of my fretless acoustics are nylon strings and, well, they are interesting. The first is one I bought off of Ebay, and it had a pretty shoddy conversion. The second is a 1/2 size that I made fretless myself. Both have their own sounds to them, but they generally sound very 'dry' and 'cold' (more like 'bitter') which is exactly what I wanted because I play 'arabesque' music on them. I tune them to DADGAD (the only alternate tuning I use) and use the bass strings as drones and play the melodies with the treble strings. Nice effect.

Definitely worth a check, if you are interested in this kind of thing. Next project: fretless electric.

just strum
July 23rd, 2008, 10:43 AM
I just lacquered Bubba yesterday,

There's a visual:D

Brian Krashpad
July 23rd, 2008, 11:35 AM
My bass and two fretless acoustic guitars don't have names, sadly.

I've named my basses, but not my acoustics. I wonder why that is.

just strum
July 23rd, 2008, 03:52 PM
I forgot, I did name my three air guitars.

Windy
Blue
Thin

but I still can't tell them apart.

thearabianmage
July 23rd, 2008, 04:40 PM

Windy
Blue
Thin

but I still can't tell them apart.

wah. . .wah. . .wah. . .<bdm chsssh> :D

bigoldron
July 23rd, 2008, 08:06 PM
Hey my creative juices have to flow somewhere. Since taking a wing shot I HAVE BEEN BORED;)

Speaking of that, how's the arm coming along? Any good news to share? :confused:

We're all hoping you get that arm straightened out soon. Let us know, bro!

luvmyshiner
July 23rd, 2008, 08:56 PM
Speaking of that, how's the arm coming along? Any good news to share? :confused:

Ditto brother. Prayers and mojo from the Shiner household.

Rocket
July 23rd, 2008, 09:18 PM
I think I saw them sitting on a rack in Glasgow:

http://www.frederiksamuel.com/blog/images/963rockradio.jpg

Brian Krashpad
July 23rd, 2008, 09:40 PM
I think I saw them sitting on a rack in Glasgow:

http://www.frederiksamuel.com/blog/images/963rockradio.jpg

Every time I see that photo I have to wonder if anyone tried to take one of those racks. Those are sweet.

;)

wingsdad
July 23rd, 2008, 11:04 PM
Hey Wings, I completely forgot about that lap steel. If I recall correctly, you had to clean that baby up quite a bit! How's she sound?
I forgot to take 'before' pics when I got her from the pawn shop with one string, all the tuning pegs rotted off, 40 years of smoke & grime on her body, and a mildewed case. But her '57 Tele pickup was quite alive & well, and I think some of Leo's, or somebody's, blood dripped in her body cavity when they wrote the build date and stamped the serial number in there. I have no clips to share, but I'm working on a bit of a project here (CB may have tipped you about it), and she'll have a role.

I still think my favorite of your guitars is the NV100C. I just love the thin body on that puppy. It's a shame Washburn isn't making those things anymore. I really need to give some thought to adding a classical to my collection at some point.
One of the best guitars they ever produced, if only for about 3 years. First year NV's were American-made and twice the price, then 1 or 2 years in Korea. Then Samick closed the Korea factory, where mine was made, according to Washburn Cust Svc, and that was the end of the NV Series.

If you can find one, jump on it. It's meant to be a plug n' play, but it does have surprising unplugged volume and tone; just a bit heavy, weighs in like at 8 lbs.

mrmudcat
July 23rd, 2008, 11:38 PM

Not much to speak of,,,,,,,,,,unfortunately.:confused: (It was one of the nastier breaks according to DR. Dickhead:rotflmao: ) Rehab soon and maybe progress.:dude:

I have been building some skateboard stuff for the boys and think im going to restore some old ones I grab off ebay.(one on the way in fact)

I have had the urge to purge.:thwap:

In other words sell some guitar s$%t:confused:

On the brighter side im awake all night again,I live for the night:beer:

ANYWAYS BACK TO NAMING GUITARS:D