PDA

View Full Version : anyone?

player
July 20th, 2008, 12:06 PM
has anyone out there played around with these chords?C,C7,F,Fm,C,G7,C...
thinking a blues progression of sorts with this I swear I've heard it before.keep one thing in mind here the Fm played going from F is a barre on the E,B,G strings.been many years fooling with these.in as much as putting lyrics to them for different lyrics.as stated if anyone plays these I could swear they go to something else.
as a suggestion strum each one once to find the correct rhythm pattern to play them. it could be 1,2,3,4 then 1,2,3 after C and C7 ending in 1,2 on G7 and C
any input welcome about this Thank You :AOK:

aeolian
July 21st, 2008, 09:31 AM
I don't follow what you are saying about the rhythm pattern; you are apparently not playing each chord for a bar. If you can be more specific about the rhythm pattern I may give it a try.

The chords themselves are essentially chords in the scale of C; C being the 1 chord, F is the 4, and G is the 5. There is some interesting use in the chords though. C7 is not a chord in the C scale, the dominant 7 (Bb) is not in the scale of C, although this is very common in C blues scales. the Fm has the flat-6 of the C scale; that is not in the C scale either, but again quite common. The G7 is normal in the C scale as the dominant 5 chord. Without playing the chords and listening I can imagine this could be a blues progression in C.

player
July 21st, 2008, 10:55 AM
I don't follow what you are saying about the rhythm pattern; you are apparently not playing each chord for a bar. If you can be more specific about the rhythm pattern I may give it a try.

The chords themselves are essentially chords in the scale of C; C being the 1 chord, F is the 4, and G is the 5. There is some interesting use in the chords though. C7 is not a chord in the C scale, the dominant 7 (Bb) is not in the scale of C, although this is very common in C blues scales. the Fm has the flat-6 of the C scale; that is not in the C scale either, but again quite common. The G7 is normal in the C scale as the dominant 5 chord. Without playing the chords and listening I can imagine this could be a blues progression in C.

Thanks for the mini theory lesson.did I not suggest strum each chord once to help you or anyone find the pattern?
I play those kind of on the brisk side C and C7 anyway.the F and minor to it as described are open to interpretation as everyone does and plays things different.it is an interesting mix for sure that is why the only rule in music is there are no rules per se.there are progressions and patterns though.not sure if those fall into either except to say they are interesting to play(fool with).:D

should no one on this board care to try them out I'm sure another board out there might or will.in fact this same thing was dissed on another so I figured I would give thefret a shot.oh and the key word(s) there should be finding your own rhythm pattern.what works for one does not work for everyone.the pattern is also open to change

evenkeel
July 21st, 2008, 11:06 AM
The chord progression you describe (with some additions and minor variations) is used in lots of music genres. Blues, country, rag time.

For example with the addition of a A7 after the second C and a slightly different turn around you have the chord progression for the old Jonathan Edwards tune, Shanty. With other small variations the chord progression is used in Jesse Fullers, San Francisco Bay Blues (covered by Tom Rush and Eric Clapton, among many others).

Hope this helps.

player
July 21st, 2008, 06:22 PM
The chord progression you describe (with some additions and minor variations) is used in lots of music genres. Blues, country, rag time.

For example with the addition of a A7 after the second C and a slightly different turn around you have the chord progression for the old Jonathan Edwards tune, Shanty. With other small variations the chord progression is used in Jesse Fullers, San Francisco Bay Blues (covered by Tom Rush and Eric Clapton, among many others).

Hope this helps.

Thanks Evenkeel.grew up with Clapton and Jeff Beck so roots are in Blues and Rock n roll.no telling where or which genre I may have heard it.also Thanks for confirming it is a progression.

It Helped :D