PDA

View Full Version : What is your favorite type of pizza?

Childbride
July 20th, 2008, 05:23 PM
Shiner and i are cooking. i think i love the recipes where we work side by side the best.

we're making pizza.

boarshead pepperoni sliced at number one, grilled onions, garlic, mushrooms, black olives... slathered with deli mozzarella.

yummy.

[although if we're just ordering out, it would be a domino's thin crust deluxe with an order of cheesy bread]

what's your favorite pie?

Robert
July 20th, 2008, 05:57 PM
I like the Swedish pizza. It's different than in North America. Not sure how to explain the difference. It has a different crust, a thin yummy one.

In Canada, I like Panago pizza - see www.panago.com

just strum
July 20th, 2008, 06:25 PM
We have a place called Theresa's Pizza near us. I like mine plain, double cheese and lite sauce. I use to like pepperoni and sausage but the doc says :nono:

http://www.teresaspizza.net/

Childbride
July 20th, 2008, 06:31 PM
Robert, i had pizza once in Bergen, when i was visiting my sister.

that was truly interesting. they have combinations of ingredients that i would never have thought of. i liked it very much. :)

tot_Ou_tard
July 20th, 2008, 06:34 PM
Margherita. Simple, delicious.

Thin crispy crust, rough chopped fresh roma tomatoes, fresh basil, garlic, & fresh mozzerella (preferably buffalo milk).

A nice red wine & you've got heaven.

marnold
July 20th, 2008, 07:06 PM
The one that's in front of me.

Otherwise I'll have a supreme (aka junk) or pepperoni-mushrooms-ham. I prefer a thinner crust unless I'm having a REAL Chicago deep-dish.

evenkeel
July 20th, 2008, 07:11 PM
Arturo's. Houston St., NYC.

Forget the Famous Rays, Original Rays, Famous Original Rays. Arturos is the place.

PS: Anchovies :AOK:

Katastrophe
July 20th, 2008, 07:34 PM
I'm not picky when it comes to pizza... It's all good.

There was/is a place in Leander (and in Austin) called Saccone's that used to have pizza that rose to a whole new level... It's what other pizzas aspire to be.

Other than that, I'll take a Gatti's Pan Pepperoni, please.:AOK:

Spudman
July 20th, 2008, 11:04 PM
Free is my favorite.:D

The one tOt describes sounds really good. I'd like to try that one. All the commercial pizzerias here are just the same chain type of stuff.

However, I do mine from scratch and use whole wheat and unbleached flower for the crust and then the sauce has mucho garlic and herbs and a tangy tomato sauce. So I guess I'd have to say my own is really my favorite. I do a nice Greek pizza with onions, olives and feta cheese on occasion.

Jimi75
July 21st, 2008, 01:38 AM
My favourite Pizza is the simple one my grandma in Sicily always made. It's just some mixture of tomatos and salami, some olives, mozarella and that's about it.

I once had a great Pizza in Washington D.C., it was a pepperoni Pizza.

My personal favourite is the Pizza Hawaaii, cooked Italian Prosciutto cotto, which is cooked ham, pineapple, cheese and garlic.

:beer:

Never ate Swedish pizza before, but I will definitely try it when I'm up there.

Ch0jin
July 21st, 2008, 02:10 AM
I'm mighty partial to a pepperoni with olives anchovies and fresh chilli :)

street music
July 21st, 2008, 04:52 AM
I'm allergic to the sauce , so my favorite comes from Little Ceasar's with lots of beef , mushrooms and banana peppers. :pancake:

tot_Ou_tard
July 21st, 2008, 05:08 AM
:AOK: Anchovies :AOK:

Not just for pizza.

If you like'em put'em on Greek Salad (Feta, Kalamata olives, tomatoes, onions sliced thin).

Try some on spaghetti too!

luvmyshiner
July 21st, 2008, 07:10 AM
Man, y'all are giving me some excellent ideas to try out. Spud, I used to have a recipe for pizza dough that somehow got misplaced in the first divorce. When CB and make pizza we usually use one of those Boboli crusts and then add on whatever we want. But I'd love to give your dough a try if you wouldn't mind posting the recipe (I need detail because I'm an idiot when it comes to cooking).

warren0728
July 21st, 2008, 09:32 AM
it's hard to beat a nice ny style cheese pizza....there is something about the simple mix of crust, sauce and cheese that is just the perfect food! :beer:

ww

Ch0jin
July 21st, 2008, 05:19 PM
:AOK: Anchovies :AOK:

Not just for pizza.

If you like'em put'em on Greek Salad (Feta, Kalamata olives, tomatoes, onions sliced thin).

Try some on spaghetti too!

And of course Ceaser Salad!!

Rocket
July 21st, 2008, 05:27 PM
I do a nice Greek pizza with onions, olives and feta cheese on occasion.
Greek?... Is that the one where you pack the cheese in the bottom?

warren0728
July 21st, 2008, 05:41 PM
Greek?... Is that the one where you pack the cheese in the bottom?
:crazyguy: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :crazyguy:

just sayin'....

ww

player
July 21st, 2008, 06:44 PM
Being from Chicago I guess I'm am partial to theirs really nothing in the Bluegrass state can even come close except mine made from scratch.shiner if you can find any try some pastorelli pizza sauce it is outstanding in a lot of dishes requiring sauce.Mostaccioli for instance(not sure that is spelled right) but you get the idea.in Florida Ci Ci's was the ticket with so many kinds to choose from.it was $3 all you can eat plus beverages all you want :AOK:

warren0728
July 21st, 2008, 07:01 PM
Being from Chicago I guess I'm am partial to theirs really nothing in the Bluegrass state can even come close except mine made from scratch.shiner if you can find any try some pastorelli pizza sauce it is outstanding in a lot of dishes requiring sauce.Mostaccioli for instance(not sure that is spelled right) but you get the idea.in Florida Ci Ci's was the ticket with so many kinds to choose from.it was $3 all you can eat plus beverages all you want :AOK:
i like a good chicago style pizza now and again too....only place around here to get it is pizzeria uno's....it's pretty good....my kids love ci ci's pizza so we go there a couple of times a month...not my favorite pizza but like you said....it's cheap! :beer:

ww

tot_Ou_tard
July 21st, 2008, 07:33 PM
i like a good chicago style pizza now and again too....only place around here to get it is pizzeria uno's....it's pretty good....my kids love ci ci's pizza so we go there a couple of times a month...not my favorite pizza but like you said....it's cheap! :beer:

ww
I tried pizzeria uno's...once.

It seemed greasy & unremarkable.

Steve206
July 21st, 2008, 08:29 PM
I take a Tombstone Supreme Combo and deconstruct it.

Pull off the pepperoni and re-distribute the sausage and green and red peppers. Liberally add Garlic powder, ground oregano, red pepper flakes.

Open and drain a small can of cheap mushrooms. Keep a small jar of spaghetti sauce in the fridge and use a couple of tablespoons of it strategically placed, on the pie.

Add the shrooms and any other veggies that you might have laying around. Lay on the mozzarella cheese and then put the pepperoni back in place.

Heat and eat.

Steve

Bloozcat
July 21st, 2008, 08:35 PM
NY pizza...Brooklyn in particular. Thin crust, all fresh ingredients, cooked in a coal fired brick oven...

Grimaldi's, DiFara's, Totonno's on Coney Island...

I've heard that Franny's is good too, but I've never had it. Same with Spumoni Gardens...famous, but I've never been there.

In Manhattan, Lombardi's. John's on Bleeker street also get's great reviews, but I'haven't been there either.

There are plenty of NY transplants here in Florida that advertise "NY style pizza", but all fall way short. The ingredients are different, they don't use coal fired brick ovens, and believe it or not, the water's not the same and that affects the taste.

I'd rather make my own at home than order out around here. I don't have a coal fired brick oven, but my sauce is better, all my ingredients fresh, and NO SKIM MILK MOZZARELLA...

Spudman
July 21st, 2008, 10:40 PM
in Florida Ci Ci's was the ticket with so many kinds to choose from.it was $3 all you can eat plus beverages all you want :AOK:

$3 for all you can eat! Holy moley Batman. That will almost get me to move to Florida right there...except for the bugs, tornadoes, hurricanes, humidity, etc.:D

I'd be there eating my way to a heart attack every day. What a deal!

tot_Ou_tard
July 22nd, 2008, 06:08 AM
Thin crust, all fresh ingredients, cooked in a coal fired brick oven...

Yup, that's it.

Bloozcat
July 22nd, 2008, 08:12 AM
Get yourself one of these:
http://www.kitchenaid.com/assets/images/product/LargeView/k45sswh-largeview.jpg
...a pizza stone and a peel (ignore that somewhat suspect looking pizza in the picture):
http://www.cooking.com.edgesuite.net/images/products/shprodde/140979.jpg
Our mixer is one of the original Hobarts that are now marketed as Kitchen Aid (as pictured). It's 25 years old now. Our pizza stone isn't white like pictured, it's almost black now from years of baking pizza's (and calzones, stromboli, etc). It really makes a difference when you can make your own dough and bake it on a stone. You'll never buy frozen again...:)

mrmudcat
July 22nd, 2008, 08:57 AM
NY pizza...Brooklyn in particular. Thin crust, all fresh ingredients, cooked in a coal fired brick oven...

Grimaldi's, DiFara's, Totonno's on Coney Island...

I've heard that Franny's is good too, but I've never had it. Same with Spumoni Gardens...famous, but I've never been there.

In Manhattan, Lombardi's. John's on Bleeker street also get's great reviews, but I'haven't been there either.

There are plenty of NY transplants here in Florida that advertise "NY style pizza", but all fall way short. The ingredients are different, they don't use coal fired brick ovens, and believe it or not, the water's not the same and that affects the taste.

I'd rather make my own at home than order out around here. I don't have a coal fired brick oven, but my sauce is better, all my ingredients fresh, and NO SKIM MILK MOZZARELLA...

Right on!!! Lombardis is awesome!!Grimaldi's and Johns on Bleeker are both great.There is a nice stretch in New Haven? Connecticut but I have yet to try both places.(same family but friendly rivals.)

Pepes and Sally's .Heard both are super.

Lastly as stated thin crust,fresh deli slices of mozzarella and fresh ingredients.(try placing the cheese slices on first then drizzle the sauce on after) Ok no more of my cooking secrets;)

Also The New York water is the difference.....................its true folks!!!!!!:rockon: :AOK:

mrmudcat
July 22nd, 2008, 09:08 AM
Blooz have you tried the stone outside on the grill.I have made some nice ones outside to everyones amazement.

Do you use corn meal on your stone to make the pizza slide easily???

Bloozcat
July 22nd, 2008, 12:50 PM
Blooz have you tried the stone outside on the grill.I have made some nice ones outside to everyones amazement.

Do you use corn meal on your stone to make the pizza slide easily???

I haven't tried the stone on the grill yet, but I've heard that you can make some really good pies on it that way.

No, I never use corn meal on the stone or in the crust (although I know that's done with Chicago style pizza). I just use flour on the pizza peel and the stone to make it slide easier. Again, it's the way they do it with NY pizza, and that's how I learned it. I actually read somewhere about a comment a NY pizza parlor owner made that among other things that he considered "non-traditional", that he never used corn meal to slide his pizza. You'd only see flour in his oven for that according to him.

To me, there's traditional, Italian pizza like Napoli and NY style, and I like it just so. But then there are lots of things you can do with "pizza" (for lack of a better name) that a narrowly focused "pizza nazi" would say is an abomination. The choices are only limited by your imagination. I made some rye bread dough once and topped it off with some pastrami, sauerkraut, Emmenthaler Swiss cheese and some Russian dressing. Pastrami Ruben pizza....and it was great! I make a Tandori pizza, Mexican pizza, four cheese pizza (quattro formaggi), eggplant pizza, and several others, most of which I just made up. Again, you're only limited by your imagination.

My wife doesn't like pizza much at all. I almost didn't marry her when she told me that. It's un-American not to like pizza...am I right? ;)

I do make one pizza that my wife does like though. I make it with goat cheese, roasted garlic, olive oil, capers, sun dried tomatoes, scallions, baby portabella mushrooms, Kalamata olives, fresh basil, sliced plum tomato, and a little mozzarella and Pecorino romano sprinkled on top.

She says it doesn't taste like pizza, that's why she likes it. It's still rock n' roll to me.....:AOK:

mrmudcat
July 22nd, 2008, 06:42 PM
Oh crap id marry ya based on that last pie alone!!!:master: ;)

You had me at goat cheese.........................:rotflmao: :beer:

I use flour and not corn meal.I was curious as the locals do that at the stores around here.I drive 30 minutes to a city to get mine takeout.(3rd generation Greeks) Never heard of using c.m.
Not bad but still about a 6-7 by my standards.:rockon:

I agree its unamerican/uncanadian untherestofyas;) to not like /love pizza:rockon:

peachhead
July 22nd, 2008, 07:35 PM
Best pizza I ever had: Zucchini Brothers, Canberra, Australia. Hand made, huge and unbelievably good. I watched 'em make it. I wish I could have another one but not gonna happen anytime soon...
Second best: Gino's East, downtown Chicago, at the old Planet Hollywood I think. I had one from a different location that wasn't quite as good as that one. Both were pretty much meat lover type pizzas.

I like most pizza around these parts as long as there are no anchovies involved. I keep saying I'm going to make my own but I never do.

pes_laul
July 22nd, 2008, 10:35 PM
eh I have ever had anything more than a pepperonie pizza from pizza hut

Kazz
July 23rd, 2008, 01:55 AM
I used to manage for Little Caesars...so as far as store bought I would be partial to theirs altho the franchisee pulled up stakes shortly after I moved on to other pastures.

I still make home made pizza from time to time and the girls (wife included) rave about it when I do......last time I attempted a Giordano's Chicago Style and it came out ok....but I think I should stick to what I know best....seriously thin cracker style pizza in the Una tradition. Sausage Mushroom and Pepperoni are the preference, but dead cat would probably work too......the one true saying about pizza is it is much like s e x....even when it is bad....it is still pretty darn good.

tot_Ou_tard
July 23rd, 2008, 05:09 AM
Blooz, you can need nice dough for bread in a cuisinart. It allows you to get more moisture into the dough, which is essential. I'm sure it'd work for pizza dough as well.

Lastly as stated thin crust,fresh deli slices of mozzarella and fresh ingredients.(
OK, what are you & CB meaning by deli mozzarella?

Are you referring to fresh mozzarella, the kind that is floating in water?

If so, I'm down with you, that is the shizzit, but go for the stuff without salt. You can always sprinkle some kosher salt or sea salt on the pie if you want it.

thearabianmage
July 23rd, 2008, 08:32 AM
Uh-oh. . . Pizzas. I've eaten around 1500 pizzas in the last 6 1/2 years if not more. Margherita is the numero uno out-of-the-freezer, but if I'm feeling adventurous, I'll get some Encona (hot hot Jamaican sauce), basil, oregano, coarse black pepper, and garlic salt and mix it in.

Other than that, supreme, peperoni, or vegetable pizzas. All with Encona.

Most cheeses are acceptable, but Mozzarella and/or mature Cheddar are preferred.

Deep dish, thin-crust, average, cheese-filled crust, it's all good.

And never too light on the tomato sauce! I once had an Italian pizza that was garlic and cheese - with no tomato sauce! Apparently tomato sauce isn't amazingly popular in Italy. Weird, eh?

Now I want a pizza. . .

thearabianmage
July 23rd, 2008, 08:40 AM
(try placing the cheese slices on first then drizzle the sauce on after) Ok no more of my cooking secrets;)

Yep, that's the best way! Or, even better (if you don't have high cholesterol or something) pizza base + cheese + sauce + more cheese + all of your favorite toppings = good times :AOK:

mrmudcat
July 23rd, 2008, 10:57 AM
Tot ,yes im referring to the real shiat!:master:

Danzego
July 23rd, 2008, 01:54 PM
I love Chicago pizza, preferably from Home Run Inn, Connie's, Giordano's, or Obbie's (a local place near where I used to live in Chicago).

Oregon pizza, on the other hand.....is just depressing. :( I don't even list pizza as one of my favorite foods anymore since moving here because it just evokes painful memories (though it did get back on the list temporarily when I visited Chicago last summer).

tot_Ou_tard
July 23rd, 2008, 05:29 PM
Tot ,yes im referring to the real shiat!:master:
That stuff is heavenly.

Fresh baguette

(crunchy, crackly crust with chewy moist interior & big irregular holes in it)

Caprisi salad

(fresh mozzarella, fresh basil, good ripe fresh local tomats--try heirlooms!--good olive oil, kosher salt n' peppa)

& I'm happy.