PDA

View Full Version : Automotive Rant (Really Long)

Katastrophe
July 21st, 2008, 01:38 PM
[RANT=ON]

UGH!

So, the Mommymobile (05 Hyundai Santa Fe) breaks down this past weekend, where the A/C stopped working on a 100 degree (Fahrenheit) day. We were about 15 minutes away from home, so we rolled down the windows and made the best of it until we got home. Mrs. Kat, Baby Kat and I were a little sweaty, but otherwise okay when we got home.

Took it in to a trusted local shop to look at it (thought it was a broken belt). Turns out it was the harmonic balancer. :thwap: That meant that it was a warranty issue, and I had to deal with the dealer. The dealer gave me a number to call for customer service, which I called. The automated message gave me a second number to call for my particular problem. I called that number. I went through the following process all the way through TWICE before I was given a third number to the correct department, which handled the problem efficiently and quickly, with nary a hiccup.

Note to customer service companies:

1. I really don't care if the call center has been outsourced overseas. It brings much needed jobs to areas of the world that need them, and it's good for the CS company's bottom line. But, couldja please, PLEASE use the name your mama gave you? I know for fact certain that in the area I was calling that there are few people with the name of "Mike." It does nothing to shorten my wait to talk, and does not give me a sense of familiarity with the operator. In fact, don't tell me your name. If I have a complaint, I won't be able to use it anyway, nor will I be able to contact you directly after we terminate the call. My freakin' car is broken down and I just need a tow, 'kay?

2. Don't interrupt me with inane questions. Let me finish with my problem, and maybe that'll answer some of the questions that you have. You should be able to look up my information on your computer from when I bought the car. I'll confirm the information when you give it to me.

3. Don't transfer my call. Listen to the problem, find a solution and implement it.

4. If the person to whom I'm speaking is not able to make decisions to help me with my problem, then WHY do I have to go over the same story with them before I can get someone who can really help me? GRRRRR.

5. If I have problems understanding the person that I've been transferred to, don't tell me that there is no problem because the phone on YOUR desk is turned all the way up. The volume's too low, period.

6. No, I don't have my VIN number "handy." If you had been listening, I stated that the car is at a mechanic's shop, and I don't carry my insurance card around with me. It's all on my information that you looked up when we went through my story the first time. I just want a tow to the freakin' dealer, please?

7. No, this tow is not part of a "package," that I purchased separately from the vehicle. Part of the selling points on this vehicle were that I had free roadside assistance, to tow my vehicle should a breakdown occur. I am not responsible for the towing costs above $50.00. The other car you have listed was traded in over a year and a half ago, and is not part of this discussion! I don't care that I have the "package" on that car, thank you. Can I have my tow now???

8. If you are going to transfer me to yet another number, please tell me why you couldn't handle my problem, since I was transferred to you in the first place. Car broke. Need tow. Hot day. No A/C. No A/C bad in Texas during summer. Need car fix. Tow car, please?

[/RANT OFF]

Sorry this was long. Had to vent.

Incidentally, the last call I made took 5 minutes to complete, and the tow was arranged. The tow truck driver called me with his arrival time, and we met within two minutes of my arrival. That one operator was able to complete in 5 minutes what the previous two calls, 5 transfers and three holding times couldn't accomplish in an hour.

Jackie with Hyndai Roadside Assistance, you are a saint. As promised, I took your survey at the completion of my tow and gave you all "Excellent" marks, wishing that I could give higher. Kudos to the service guy at the Hyundai dealer who listened to my problem, apologized for the difficulties I was having, and found a solution within 2 minutes. That's good CS.

Thanks for reading this mini novel. I now return you to your regularly scheduled day!

Rocket
July 21st, 2008, 01:51 PM
I had the same type CS issue with DishTV last week.
First call got a Paki named Shirley (well, sure!)... dropped call on transfer. Second call got Phyllis (I think) from Phillipines... also dropped call on (simulated) transfer. When I called again I immediately asked for rep "IN THE USA"... immediately transferred (successfully) to Dave in TX... all problems resolved.
From now on, that's how I'll roll... just ask for US rep right off the bat.

luvmyshiner
July 21st, 2008, 01:54 PM
Rant on brother, rant on!:bravo: You get no argument from this end.

aeolian
July 21st, 2008, 02:23 PM
I understand the frustration, but it is not atypical with any call center.

A couple of months ago I had a prescription coverage question with my company's health insurance. I called the insurance's main number and after going through the "dial 1 now" thing a couple of times I actually got to talk to a real live person. Eventually they told me that the prescription coverage question has to be answered by another company that handles drug prescriptions but they will transfer me. After the transfer I had to go through a couple more transfers to finally talk to a person who supposedly should be able to help me. They told me that no, they don't handle the situation I'm in, but they can transfer me to the people who does handle it. I asked to be transfer and ended up back talking to the group of people I originally talked to when I first called in. Twenty five minutes into this phone call I'm back to where I started. Oh, joy!

tot_Ou_tard
July 21st, 2008, 05:04 PM
Oh man, how many times have I gone through this song & dance.

On a similar note. If you have a particular issue that you know won't be addressed by their automated system & why would you be calling if it could? You'd look it up on the internet.

Most companies try to make you go through three billion layers of pressing 9 for other.

What I do is push no buttons & if the system is voice activated I say things like

"Customer Service"
"Operator"
"Help"

sometimes one of these will trigger a transfer to a human. At the very least after x-many times of telling you to repeat what you said they'll transfer you.

At which point, lucky you, you get to go through Kat's story.

Spudman
July 21st, 2008, 05:13 PM
As for the automated stuff someone showed me this a while ago.
http://gethuman.com/

just strum
July 21st, 2008, 05:29 PM
If any of you have Windstream, try calling customer service. The box outside our development was not functioning properly for about two months. That's two months of on and off headache. I call them one night after spending time trying to get the internet connection to work. I am not in the best of moods and when I call, who do I get? I should say where do I get? - India. The guy proceeds to tell me there is nothing wrong with the box. I remind him where he is and where I am - and then raise my voice and drop an f bomb or two. I request the US, I get his supervisor and I request the US - I get his supervisor. Finally switched to the US and expected to get S. Carolina, Atlanta, Texas...

So the guy gets on the phone and no accent. I tell him about "the box" and he replies "oh, I know the box you are referring to" Prompting me to ask "where the hell are you located" the response "five miles down the road from your house". I did get lucky, because it's usually out of state.

Oh, the box was fixed during the night and the system was fully functional. But after traveling halfway around the world and back - I was tired.

tot_Ou_tard
July 21st, 2008, 05:35 PM
As for the automated stuff someone showed me this a while ago.
http://gethuman.com/
Spectacularly cool, Spud!

SuperSwede
July 22nd, 2008, 01:11 PM
Dang Kat, it must be horrible to travel without AC in that heat... poor baby kat.

Katastrophe
July 22nd, 2008, 02:18 PM
Yep, we were very concerned about Baby Kat, and getting her out of the heat. Thank God that we didn't get stranded and had to wait for a tow truck, as there is all of one convenience store in between San Marcos and Lockhart, and it's four miles away from the house. We always pack drinks and snacks for Baby Kat when we go anywhere, but there wouldn't have been anyplace to stop for a little while after we left town.

Just got the update from the service guy. They are replacing the harmonic balancer, window trims on both sides of the vehicle (they were rusted) and seals on the two cargo windows on either side of the rear of the vehicle (they were leaky), all covered under warranty.