PDA

View Full Version : How are you getting it to the computer?

Justaguyin_nc
October 24th, 2005, 03:02 PM
Well, I noticed we all must have a computer and have yet to see how each person's recording setup is to their computer. Come on we all do it!
Mine is pretty simple as is my playing. Computer is AMD powered and only 1800+ speed with a Nvidia Graphics Card. Having a J-Station, V-Amp2, multiple of stomp boxes and a microcube I have enough effects going into the computer and just run into a basic SoundBlaster live card using (Once called CoolEdit) Adobe Audition 1.5. Using the J-Station or V-amp2 Direct I always felt it had a bit of Sterile sound to it so I added a Behringer Tube UltraGain MIC200 before going to these digitals and the sound filled and warmed nicely.. venturing into a cheap Mic'ed setup for the stomp boxes, I Play through an old Harmony tube amp that I like, I set a cheap Behringer XM8500 Mic centered about 6 inches away which then runs to a cool little box called once again Behringer Tube UltraGain MIC200 and this goes direct to the soundcard with again some warmth not found without the pre-amp. Audition 1.5 seems to handle the line in just fine and I cannot justify at this point getting anything else except another Behringer Tube UltraGain MIC200 (Actually probably the UltraGain Pro for both) and one of the mixing boards to add vocals at the same time if I do not want to use the seperate track setup in Audition which seems to work fine.. I usually put a backing track to one track, play guitar to another and vocals to yet another when I want to get fancy. umm thats it for right now anyways.

Tone2TheBone
October 24th, 2005, 04:25 PM
Lets hear some of your stuff.

Justaguyin_nc
October 24th, 2005, 04:41 PM
Im not anything but a home player.. enjoying my time... http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/Roland_Microcube/files/ has a few clips of what I "TRY" to sound like.

Tone2TheBone
October 25th, 2005, 08:23 AM
The link applies to members...can't view the page.

Justaguyin_nc
October 25th, 2005, 08:55 AM
Oh well.. this brings up the question.. where is the best place to place such clips on the net without cost? (im also a cheapy)

Robert
October 25th, 2005, 10:37 AM
You can upload mp3's here on the board, not too many of course. Try it!

Robert
October 27th, 2005, 08:11 AM
Okay, let's up it a bit. It was set to 5 MB, now it's 8 MB. Hope that works.

Justaguyin_nc
October 27th, 2005, 08:20 AM
Welp: think there is an upload issue... here is the exact error I get when I try.
this is the message it returns at the top of the upload screen...

Phaser_MicroCube_Solo_Clip.mp3:
File Too Large. Limit for this filetype is 78.1 KB. Your file is 786.2 KB.

Robert
October 27th, 2005, 10:50 AM
Okay, I think I fixed it - please try again. File size limit is 5 MB.

Justaguyin_nc
October 29th, 2005, 02:30 PM
Ok thanks Robert, The uploads work now.. Umm..so here is a clip with the neck pickup on the squier 51 through a MicroCube. :eek:

Robert
October 31st, 2005, 01:23 PM
Hi Justaguyin_nc (can we use a shorter nick for you?), the sound quality was a little weird, what is the backing track?
Is that a tremolo effect on the guitar? It sounds pretty cool, but maybe try with a clean sound so we get a better idea of what the Microcube sounds like? Nice to hear some swing! I love that stuff.
Thanks for posting, keep em coming!

Justaguyin_nc
November 1st, 2005, 01:26 AM
Heh... its probably my playing thats wierd Robert :D... reason I am here.. to learn more reading and asking questions between practicing which I need much much more of.... Just call me Justa... Yeah thats tremo and was ment to sound like that I think..worked for me at the time..lol.. Thats JAZZ JAMTRAX by Ralph Agresta 32bar swing backing trac.. I got ummm.. bad ears and fingers.. not in your league.. This one is High Pitched sounds I scare cats with next... just the MicroCube with some reverb on blackface.. Think backing from More Blues Jamtrax for Guitar by Ralph Agresta. I like the series from Ralph Agresta which includes Chicago Blues, Jazz, Blues and more blues. Think they help me explore and maybe learn something in the process which might not show lol... Can be found on Amazon.com etc.

Robert
November 1st, 2005, 09:16 AM
Justa, what's your recommendation for direct recording, J-Station or V-amp2 or Microcube? Or something else? I haven't played any of those. My Vox does not work well for direct recording.

Hey man, don't put yourself down! It sounds good! I just meant the backing track sounded so distant. Remember, music is not competition! We are all just having fun. I used to be very self critical, but then I got tired of that. "Screw it, I'm just gonna play and have fun doing it!" was my thinking, and still is.

Justaguyin_nc
November 1st, 2005, 10:51 AM
Ha Robert... we all say just screw it... thats why I uploaded the files in the first place.. I don't care..heh and we are critical of ourselves.. think being critical helps us... thanks for the comments.. as for the direct recording thats what I started this post about.. what to use?... myself I think they all sound sterile going direct with the J-Station probably sounding the best and the Vamp2 sounding the most trebley and a zoom 707 the most muddy synth'ed but thats so subjective isn't it. In the end the sounds seem to have less highs and lows once recorded.. I ended up adding that Ultragain MIC200 (Link info: http://www.behringer.com/MIC200/index.cfm?lang=ENG )right after or before every digital box I have. I am now to the point that Mic'ed is better then direct but it may be because of just the sound blaster live card instead of a better quality soundcard I really do not know. I just know it sounds more like what ya hear in the room. I have heard some great clips from people using these digital boxes, I just do not know how to get it exactly right yet without boosting the levels usually once inside the computer.

Justaguyin_nc
December 8th, 2005, 02:45 AM
Anyone have an opinion on the E-MU 1212M PCI card?

Description:
Features mastering-grade 24-bit, 192kHz converters (the same converters used in the ProTools HD 192 I/O interface) and flexible connectivity with 2 - 1/4" balanced analog I/Os, 24/192 ADAT I/O switchable to S/PIDF, 24/96 S/PDIF I/O switchable to AES/EBU, MIDI I/O, plus a FireWire port. The 32-bit multi-effects processor offers over 16 simultaneous hardware-accelerated studio-grade effects with no CPU overhead and the plug-in architecture allows you to add new effects as needed. 32 channels of zero latency mixing/monitoring with super-flexible virtual patchbay and full compatibility with most popular audio/sequencer applications make it project friendly. Also includes a powerful software studio package.

or another like it in the under $200.00 range?

Robert
December 8th, 2005, 09:20 AM
Sounds like a great card to me! I recently got a Tascam US-122, which is working out good for my needs. What you mention is definitely a higher end solution compare to mine, and I although I don't have experience with it, I'm sure it would be good purchase.

SuperSwede
December 9th, 2005, 04:16 AM
How is the audio quality on the Tascam US-122 Robert?
Perhaps a few clips coming up? ;)

Robert
December 9th, 2005, 10:13 AM
The quality is excellent. Yes, a few clips soon! I am planning on making a bunch of play-along mp3's for download on my site. Life has been crazily busy for me lately and time is hard to find. I am currently teaching 5 guitar students and I've gigged more than usual. Christmas break - here I come!

Justaguyin_nc
December 9th, 2005, 12:17 PM
Been looking forward to hearing that Tascam US-122 and more of the Robert Renman clips...

Robert
December 22nd, 2005, 03:37 PM
I finally got an SM-57, so hopefully I can get some clips done over the holidays. I'll share them with you if I can get them done! Miking the AD50VT works great - use line out on the amp sucks so bad - never do that!

Tim
December 22nd, 2005, 04:39 PM
Justa...,

Sounds pretty good for your first post. I am not playing that well to upload anything. But I would like to learn how to play with a backing track while recording myself. I have Band-In-A-Box 2004 and understand it can make backing tracks (I have not figured out how yet).

I have a VAmp2 which connects to my soundboard through a midi connection. I do not know the "hows" of getting it all into the computer or what other software I may need.

Any help from other members be appreciated. At least I can record myself as I progress in my playing skills and see where I need improvement.