PDA

View Full Version : Squire Jazz Bass

Tone2TheBone
May 15th, 2006, 09:20 AM
Just picked one up from a friend of mine for dirt cheap. Always liked Jazz Basses so this deal was just too sweet. Most of my favorite players are JB players. The neck alone on this bass was worth double what I paid for it!

If any of you have one...what are your preferences for volume/tone between the JB pups. I'm thinking all out on both neck and bridge volume would produce a nice punchy sound...altering the tone knob for taste. Also I'm thinking a set of Duncan Quarter Pounders would be great for that bass. I installed the P Bass version of the Quarters on my Yamaha and it rules. Any Jazz users here? Rob R.? :)

ps - Rob....get an amp.

The G-string
May 15th, 2006, 09:49 AM
Congrats!

My electric is a Fender Precision II.

I can't really answer your questions - - but I have one for you ...

...any thoughts of playing any jazz tunes on it and if so - - what songs?

I'm currently listening to Ray Brown on "That's All." :)

Tone2TheBone
May 15th, 2006, 09:56 AM
What amp are you running it through right now?

I'm ignorant when it comes to real Jazz. My bad I know, you'd think I'd know better. But I'm sure I can come up with something if I find a few tunes I really like. As long as the player has a great tone I think I'd be interested in copping his/her licks. I've heard some really crappy sounding Jazz bass tones that were supposed to be awesome (won't name names). I like deep bass sound with bright shimmer on top. Or even just deep tone nice and round. Farty mids should not be allowed.

The G-string
May 15th, 2006, 10:01 AM
I understand what you're saying...

I'm just using a Peavy microbass amp - - nothing super spectacular. I prefer my dad's amp - - I'll have to ask him what it is. He can get that amp to make my electric *almost* sound acoustic - - I mean, not exactly - - but you know - - it's got that rich, but clear and deep jazz sound ... like a good cup of strong, rich, but not burnt tasting coffee. *LOL* Now see if you get *that* analogy!

Tone2TheBone
May 15th, 2006, 10:07 AM
An acoustic sounding electric bass would be almost a transparent sounding thing. That's a good useable sound. As long as you get good tight low end. I got the analogy - good description. :)

Robert
May 15th, 2006, 10:48 AM
I play jazz, you bet. I haven't experimented with pup settings enough yet to have an opinion. I love my SX 57 Jazz!

Tone2TheBone
May 15th, 2006, 11:01 AM
Did you get your bass amp then Robster? Gimme some good bass playing references...ones from guys with good tone though. LOL ;)

The G-string
May 15th, 2006, 12:19 PM
My votes are Ray Brown and John Clayton but both are acoustic/upright.

Tone2TheBone
May 15th, 2006, 12:21 PM
Thanks GS. I'll give those guys a shot. :)

Robert
May 15th, 2006, 01:09 PM
My favorite electric player - Gary Willis - www.garywillis.com

Tone2TheBone
May 16th, 2006, 09:22 AM
Robert - Wheres the bass guitar in the audio and video there?? Gimmie bass man!

Speaking of "jazz" I remember completely loving the groovy moderne sounds of Jean Luc Ponty ('member him???) and his cast of marvelous instrumentalists. Oft times you'd get to hear Steve Smith's amazing drumming along with Allan Holdsworth's blazing stylings layered over the bottom line of Ralphe Armstrong's bass. Thats my kind of "jazz".

LowEndWonder
December 29th, 2007, 10:20 AM
What amp are you running it through right now?

I'm ignorant when it comes to real Jazz. My bad I know, you'd think I'd know better. But I'm sure I can come up with something if I find a few tunes I really like. As long as the player has a great tone I think I'd be interested in copping his/her licks. I've heard some really crappy sounding Jazz bass tones that were supposed to be awesome (won't name names). I like deep bass sound with bright shimmer on top. Or even just deep tone nice and round. Farty mids should not be allowed.
Stick to the P-Bass then. Jazz Basses are more nasal in sound.
Me personally I like the Barky, funky, mid range but to each his own I guess.
I still have a love for the P-Bass though because it was the Original Electric bass.