PDA

View Full Version : Guitar resonance

M29
July 21st, 2008, 06:26 PM
Hello,

I was curious what everyone thinks about a guitars resonance. I put a Squier Strat (rosewood FB) neck on my Highway 1 body until I can afford a Fender (maple) neck and this thing just bounces all over the place as I strum it. It is very resonant. Would you say the more a guitar vibrates or resonates the better it is? It actually feels kind of odd it vibrates so much. I assume it is a good thing, everything is tight and put together well. I am not a big fan of a rosewood neck on a Strat but I kind of like this neck. The action is good, the frets are fairly narrow but it plays pretty good. I will put a nice bone nut on it soon and that should make it even better. The neck has a nice light flame to it and it is aged with a nice amber tone.

M29

Katastrophe
July 21st, 2008, 06:35 PM
DON'T CHANGE THE NECK ON THAT STRAT!

You've hit upon a magical combination of a neck and body that work well together. It's kinda like what Clapton did with Blackie, by taking the best parts off of a number of Strats to make one good one. I don't care if the neck just came in contact with a baboon's butt, if it sounds good, keep 'er there!

Resonant = Sustain. Sustain = Good. Therefore, Resonant = Good.

Throw in some good pups and a bone or brass nut and call 'er done!

Spudman
July 21st, 2008, 10:44 PM
Lucky you hit the lottery with only one ticket.

If it resonates well I'd be pretty happy. I try to look for that when I buy a guitar but I've found out some, not all, electric guitars can sound pretty good in spite of that lack of resonance. Yours is a bonus.

M29
July 22nd, 2008, 06:54 AM
Thanks guys I thought it was a good thing but I didn't know how much. If some is good more is better I suppose:D When I hit an open E it really resonates and is nice and clear. I play my guitars unplugged a lot and this one along with my Jazzmaster really sound good by themselves, but they really jiggle.
Cool, I am happy now:D

M29

dws
July 22nd, 2008, 06:59 AM
Yeah, just to reiterate, keep it.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Plank_Spanker
July 22nd, 2008, 05:05 PM
You definitely hit the lottery, M29. :AOK: