PDA

View Full Version : Meatloaf

scgmhawk
July 22nd, 2008, 01:35 PM
Not really guitar related but I was watching a documentary last night (on Madison Square Garden Network) on Meatloaf (the performer, not the food!). I'm not a fan -- but I have to admit that I did like Paradise By The Dashboard Light back in the day. The film basically followed him around on his recent tour, which I believe is still going on (I didn't watch the whole documentary). It was interesting to get a behind the scenes glimpse of an Arena rock tour and what goes into putting on the shows that we go to.

Spudman
July 22nd, 2008, 01:46 PM
He's quite an entertainer. His music is borderline progressive especially "Paradise." I was lucky to get to spend an evening with him while he checked out my band when we were playing an out of the way club in a very small town. As he headed out the door we got a thumbs up from him which made our whole weekend.

He was also in the movie "Roadie" and was quite good in it.

street music
July 22nd, 2008, 04:53 PM
I was lucky enough to get to see Meatloaf perform at the start of Bat OUT OF HELL II and front roll at that with my wife and son. He still talks about that show today. Meat is a great entertainer , they do have different music for sure. Spud, that had to be so cool to have been in your shoes.

R.B. Huckleberry
July 22nd, 2008, 05:00 PM
Leftover Meatloaf is still tasty: I was listening to Bat Out Of Hell not too long ago. It's a damned powerful record!

Spudman
July 22nd, 2008, 05:24 PM
Spud, that had to be so cool to have been in your shoes.
Actually I was pretty nervous that he was gong to ask to sit in. I didn't know any of his material. I still don't so don't say anything to him.;)

street music
July 22nd, 2008, 05:30 PM
Spud, you should listen to some of his songs. You might get another idea for a great backing track.:rockon:

Ch0jin
July 23rd, 2008, 02:33 AM
look for a TV series called "Classic Albums"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classic_Albums

I've seen/have most of them and they are super amazing, but in the context of meatloaf the 'bat out of hell' episode is a real eye opener as to the massive talent that Mr Loaf (as they call him) really is and the way that the original concept for that album (which was a lot closer to a theatrical musical) was turned into one of the classic albums of all time.

They are all good as I said, but some more interesting than others. The Bob Marley one is a must if you are keen to see how "real" Regge was turned into "USA Market Friendly" Regge by the studio guys.

Anyway, OT i guess...just click on the wiki ;)