PDA

View Full Version : Still Love my JV Strat

stingx
July 22nd, 2008, 06:32 PM
More than three years have passed and this guitar still gets lots of attention from me. I haven't had any issues and even though I live in a part of the US that gets humid, I haven't had to adjust it very much. It's rock solid. I have been entertaining buying another pickguard loaded with noiseless singles just to see if I would like it. The other thought was to replace the singles in the guard I have now with DiMarzio Virtual Vintage pups like I have in my Lonestar. They sound great and are dead silent. Any JV owners swap out the originals and if so with what?

http://stubble.org/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/jv-glow.jpg

birv2
July 22nd, 2008, 08:22 PM
I too love mine. In fact, the more I play it, the more I love it!:bravo:

I bought it used, and the previous owner had swapped out the original pickups and put in custom shop Fat 50's. I liked them at first, but after a while they sounded too clean to me. So I swapped them out and put in a set of Mighty Mite Tex-Mex pickups, figuring they should sound like the originals. Since I've never had Fender T-M pickups, I don't know how close they are. They are definitely hotter and louder than the Fat 50's. So far, I'm digging them A LOT.

Everything about the guitar feels right -- I love the string spacing, the maple neck, the medium jumbo frets, and the neck is absolutely amazing. It plays like a dream, and every guitarist who picks it up has a hard time putting it down!

Thank you, Jimmie Vaughan, for an affordable GREAT guitar!

Bob

just strum
July 22nd, 2008, 08:58 PM
More than three years have passed and this guitar still gets lots of attention from me.

This one would be on my "not for sale" list.

tot_Ou_tard
July 23rd, 2008, 06:01 AM
More than three years have passed and this guitar still gets lots of attention from me.

It's great when a reasonably priced guitar gets so much praise.

SuperSwede
July 24th, 2008, 01:27 AM
Pete, that guitar is such a beauty!
I´ve played a couple of JV´s and they all felt and sounded just right.
The stock pickups sounds pretty damn good too imho.

Justaguyin_nc
July 24th, 2008, 12:13 PM
Still love my JV... couldn't think of changing a thing on it...
I really dig the stock pups..

I have often thought of getting a black one and changing to CS 69's and making a gilmourish type blackie out of it...

I just love the neck on these guitars sooo much..

Just feels right...

sumitomo
July 24th, 2008, 01:59 PM
That's great.When the neck fits your hand,man it's hard to put the axe down.I'll have to try one cause the neck on my 90's strat plus just does not do it for me and I can always change necks.Sumi:D

TS808
August 1st, 2008, 07:20 PM
I had a MIM strat and had put in some Vintage Noiseless pups and thought it sounded fantastic. The clarity even on high gain settings was amazing. I'd recommend giving them a serious try.

dan P
August 1st, 2008, 07:44 PM
Very nice strat, had two...more into my own versions though, actually bought CS69's and threw them into the second..still didn't do it for me, so on we go.....still a very good players strat....tex-mex pups are great..!

stingx
August 1st, 2008, 08:11 PM
Was thinking of auditioning these:

http://store.guitarfetish.com/nepvinopiset.html

http://us.st12.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/yhst-50206111187217_2010_15885855

F_BSurfer
August 2nd, 2008, 03:57 AM
If something were to happen to my hwy 1 the JV is the way I would go as I do not like the new hwy's and every JV has been exceptional.If you go with the Neovin's can't wait to hear what you think have not seen any reviews yet .

ShortBuSX
August 2nd, 2008, 08:18 AM
Im thinking of wiring my MIM standard like the JV cause I loath that bridge pup without a tone knob...but how do yall like the middle pup sans tone knob?
Ever wish it had a tone knob???

stingx
August 2nd, 2008, 08:27 AM
Im thinking of wiring my MIM standard like the JV cause I loath that bridge pup without a tone knob...but how do yall like the middle pup sans tone knob?

Nah!

I am mostly on the neck pup or I will double it up with the middle. I like how the JV is wired and prefer all my Strats that way now.

dan P
August 2nd, 2008, 08:41 AM
I like mine wide open middle pup too, so I just moved the pot to the bridge...

F_BSurfer
August 3rd, 2008, 05:28 AM
Stingx I came across a video demo of the NeoVIn power rock set I posted it on a different thread they sound really good here is the link in case you haven't seen it
http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?p=91371#post91371

stingx
August 3rd, 2008, 07:36 AM
Stingx I came across a video demo of the NeoVIn power rock set I posted it on a different thread they sound really good here is the link in case you haven't seen it
http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?p=91371#post91371

Thanks :) That's Frets99 from HCGF. Cool video but it isn't the same as auditioning them live. Too much coloration to the sound in those videos.

birv2
August 3rd, 2008, 10:12 AM

I LOVE the middle pickup wide open. Not sure how to describe the sound, but it's kind of jazzy in a Gibson sort of way, to my ears. btw, that's how Robin Trower always plays his Strat, supposedly.

Bob

ZMAN
August 3rd, 2008, 11:42 AM
Birv2: have you heard any of Robin Trower's blues stuff. Really well done.
He also uses large strings and tunes down a whole step.

birv2
August 3rd, 2008, 11:51 AM
Birv2: have you heard any of Robin Trower's blues stuff. Really well done.
He also uses large strings and tunes down a whole step.

I've heard pretty much everything except his blues stuff: Procol Harum, BLT, his own trio, etc. I'll have to check it out. I'm a huge blues fan, but also love the Trower style as well.

Bob

ShortBuSX
August 3rd, 2008, 08:08 PM
Nah!

I am mostly on the neck pup or I will double it up with the middle. I like how the JV is wired and prefer all my Strats that way now.

I LOVE the middle pickup wide open. Not sure how to describe the sound, but it's kind of jazzy in a Gibson sort of way, to my ears. btw, that's how Robin Trower always plays his Strat, supposedly.

Bob

Thanks for the advice guys, I did the mod and it sounds great! :beer:

ZMAN
August 6th, 2008, 07:05 PM
Birv: Sorry for the late reply. His most recent album Another Days blues is a bit of a rehash of some of his older blues albums but is killer. Dewar died and he has a new singer Jamie Pattison and he is a Dewar clone. I just love this album and I play along with it all the time and tune down a whole step.
I think he excells at the blues but I think his Bridge of sighs album is The best rock album of all time. Numero Uno.

F_BSurfer
November 10th, 2008, 07:53 AM
Well in my search to replace my gear I wound up with a 60th ann. JV strat it is used but in excellent condition.........Guy that owned it put a push/push pot in it...besides all the normal pickup selections for a JV strat it added the combination of the neck and bridge.Will post some pics soon as I replace my camera

Jimi75
November 10th, 2008, 08:05 AM
My JV Strat is already an old lady. I think I bought her in 1995 or 1998 or so. It is a briliant guitar and I love the feel of the entire instrument. It is such a pleasure to play that neck! Man, what a bang for the buck!

I found the Tex Mex PUs alittle harsh, they weren't bad sounding, but I thought the composition of the instruemnt was so great that it could be upgraded with pus. My JV is equipped with a set of Texas Specials.

It is the perfect Strat!

F_BSurfer
November 10th, 2008, 08:18 AM
Agree good bang for buck for what I paid for this almost felt bad. Pups are harsh have lowered them help some a pickup change is on the list

birv2
November 11th, 2008, 11:10 AM
Still loving mine.

I'm on my 3rd set of pickups, though. Bought it used with Fat 50's, thought they were too "weak", put some Mighty Mite Tex-Mex in, thought they were too "strong", now I have CS 54's.... *sigh* It just never ends.

But I DO love playing it -- amazing neck, love the maple fretboard... it just feels right.

Bob