PDA

View Full Version : New to this forum

The Wayner
July 22nd, 2008, 09:52 PM
Hey everyone! I wanted to introduce myself. I have been playing guitar since I was twelve years old, I'm now 56. My mother introduced me to it. She showed me a couple of chords and I have gone from there.

Having been around small Pentecostal churches most of my life, it has limited my exposure of gifted guitarist. My wife and I have sang together for many years, playing in several churches between Arizona and Missouri. For years I played rhythm guitar behind my wife as she played piano. However for the past 7 years I have begun to play lead guitar in the church band where I pastor. I have a country/blues style and love to play.

I bought a Fender Nashville Deluxe in 2001 and love it very much.

It's great being a musician and would like to communicate with other musicians as well.

pes_laul
July 22nd, 2008, 09:56 PM
welcome dude! this is a great forum.

I too started pretty young I'm 14 and have been playing for 5 years.

Oh yeah say no to the pancakes:pancake:

Robert
July 22nd, 2008, 10:00 PM
Hi The Wayner! Thanks for joining us. Enjoy this hangout.

mrmudcat
July 22nd, 2008, 11:10 PM
Welcome!!

tot_Ou_tard
July 23rd, 2008, 05:05 AM
Another pastor?

Watch out for the other one, he's wild. :AOK:

Welcome!

Katastrophe
July 23rd, 2008, 06:04 AM
It's great being a musician and would like to communicate with other musicians as well.

You've come to the right place! Enjoy, and post often.:AOK:

Brian Krashpad
July 23rd, 2008, 06:14 AM
Welcome Wayne!

I played in my last church for about 10 years. Wonderful experience, very different than gigging out in bars and non-church venues.

warren0728
July 23rd, 2008, 07:48 AM
welcome wayner....this is a great forum....i think you will like it here....

ww :pancake:

note: this welcome copyrighted 2008...no unauthorized use of this welcome will be tolerated

luvmyshiner
July 23rd, 2008, 08:18 AM
Welcome aboard Wayner. There's a lot of good and knowledgeable folks here . . . and then there's me.:D

street music
July 23rd, 2008, 02:49 PM
Welcome Wayner!

jpfeifer
July 23rd, 2008, 03:11 PM
Welcome Wayner,

I've been playing every Sunday at various churches with my wife for the past 20 years now. It's great experience and now my kids are also involved in our group so this as evolved into a family thing.

One of my best friends was a guitarist at a Pentacostal church, and he was the best guitar player that I ever knew. He played like a mixture of Chet Atkins and Jerry Reed styles (really great player).

You will like this forum. There are players representing lots of styles, ages, countries, etc. It's a great bunch of people.

-- Jim

The Wayner
July 24th, 2008, 10:12 AM
After re-reading my post I realized that I implied I had not met any good players in church, but I have indeed met quite a few. It's been my experience that a lot of churches have gotten away from the more traditional gospel music and away from the guitar to more keyboard.

In the church I pastor we have a keyboard, organ, drums, bass, my guitar and even a violin. Love to make beautiful music.

Trying to watch out for the pancakes. lol

magoo
July 24th, 2008, 04:03 PM
Hi wayner, welcome.

just strum
July 24th, 2008, 04:06 PM
Welcome. Have you had the pleasure of hearing or seeing Phil Keaggy?

The Wayner
July 24th, 2008, 10:26 PM
Welcome. Have you had the pleasure of hearing or seeing Phil Keaggy?

No I have not.

oldguy
July 27th, 2008, 09:14 AM
Welcome to TheFret!:)

Algonquin
July 27th, 2008, 02:51 PM
Welcome to the Fret Wayner.
Cheers :beer:

just strum
July 27th, 2008, 04:11 PM
No I have not.

Take a trip to youtube and check him out.

dws
July 28th, 2008, 10:50 AM
Welcome!
Great group of people here. You'll love it. :)

The Wayner
July 28th, 2008, 06:42 PM
Take a trip to youtube and check him out.
Wow! I went to you tube and checked out a couple of vids. He is good. The more I see and hear other players the more I realize how little talent I have.

You can tell he enjoys playing and singing. Thanks for the tip Just Strum.

evenkeel
July 29th, 2008, 02:30 PM
Welcome!!!!

warren0728
July 29th, 2008, 03:52 PM
The more I see and hear other players the more I realize how little talent I have.
i'm right there with you bro! :thwap:

ww

sumitomo
July 30th, 2008, 02:18 PM
Konnichiwa Wayner.Sumi:D

sunvalleylaw
July 30th, 2008, 06:45 PM
Welcome there the Wayner!

duhvoodooman
August 2nd, 2008, 09:17 AM
An overdue WELCOME to The Fret, Wayner!! Glad to have you with us. And keep an eye out for Reverend Rawk! He's lurking here someplace.... :AOK: :dude: :rockon:

The Wayner
August 2nd, 2008, 09:58 AM
An overdue WELCOME to The Fret, Wayner!! Glad to have you with us. And keep an eye out for Reverend Rawk! He's lurking here someplace.... :AOK: :dude: :rockon:
Thanks for the warm welcome. I love this site already and it's nice to know I have a fellow minister here to watch my back. I'll be looking for Reverend Rawk.