PDA

View Full Version : Epi Valve Special??

duhvoodooman
May 16th, 2006, 08:39 AM
We've had beaucoups discourse here about the Valve Jr., but I wondered if anybody had any experience with the Valve Special? Looks pretty much like a Valve Jr. with a slightly larger speaker, plus some DSP effects and a couple of additional tone controls. Any other significant differences, esp. any with deleterious tonal implications??

Bloozcat
May 16th, 2006, 12:12 PM
No, not the Valve Special, but I am waiting for this one to come out....:D

Here's the Epi combo I was speaking of in my earlier post:

http://images.music123.com/products/full/Epiphone/462302.jpg

Here's the specs:
Epiphone Blues Custom 30 tube amp Features:
· Power: 30 AB/15 A W
· Type: 100% Tube
· Class: A & AB
· Rectifier: Tube- 5AR4
· EQ: Two Modes-Independent and Interactive
· Preamp : 12AX7 (5)
· Power: 5881 (2)
· Speaker Type: 2X12" Lady Luck by Eminence
· Tube Reverb
· Channels: 2
Outputs: 4 Ohm (2), 8 Ohm (2) & 16 Ohm

And it just so happens (what a suprise!) that I have a matched pair of NOS 6L6WGB's (5881's), and an NOS 5AR4 (GZ34) sitting at home with nothing to do...for now, anyway... oh, and speakers too...;)

Tone2TheBone
May 16th, 2006, 12:22 PM
Oooo thats a cool amph. Doesn't look like it has effects so I think I'd like it.

duhvoodooman
May 16th, 2006, 12:30 PM
No, not the Valve Special, but I am waiting for this one to come out....:D
Yeah, I've seen that one, too. Looks sweet, but I already have a nice 30W blues amp. But a little 5W job that I could crank the **** out of would be a nice addition to the DVM Tone Brigade. :DR

Nelskie
May 16th, 2006, 12:40 PM
But a little 5W job that I could crank the **** out of would be a nice addition to the DVM Tone Brigade. :DR
DVM - It appears you're talking the language of the Valve Jr. I've read some mixed reviews about the DSP effects on the Valve Special, many of which weren't all that flattering. The Special, as you know, is a smidge bigger, and also has a bigger speaker (10" vs the Jr.'s 8") - but they both run 5W. Don't let that fool you, though - the Jr. is plenty loud! Since you already have a good collection of pedals, there's no reason you shouldn't at least consider the Jr., or the Jr. head version. Plus, it would give you something else to mod out, and fool around with. They're great little amps, and a total gas to play through. ;)

Bloozcat
May 16th, 2006, 01:07 PM
Oooo thats a cool amph. Doesn't look like it has effects so I think I'd like it.

That's what I liked about...nice and clean. Class A in 15 watt mode, class AB in 30 watt mode. Tube rectifier for that nice vintage sag. This amp sounds like it's going to be built like a point-to-point wired amp, but with a circuit board instead. If the same thought that went into the simple Valve Jr. goes into this amp....it should be killer.

Bloozcat
May 16th, 2006, 01:17 PM
Yeah, I've seen that one, too. Looks sweet, but I already have a nice 30W blues amp. But a little 5W job that I could crank the **** out of would be a nice addition to the DVM Tone Brigade. :DR

Shhhhh....I'm trying to delude myself into forgetting that I already have a good 30 watt tube amp too.

Nelskie's right about that Valve Jr. Set at 12:00 with a good Tube Screamer, or a Sparkle Drive, and that little thing just SCREAMS. If you already have a cabinet or two, buying the head is really just like another pedal price-wise.

duhvoodooman
May 16th, 2006, 01:28 PM
Nelsk & Blooz,

Yeah, other things being equal I'd definitely be looking at the Valve Jr. perferentially, but I've got a line on a potentially good deal on a used Valve Special, hence the questions. Thanks for your inputs--nothing like the knowledge & experience of a couple of longtime "tube guys"!

Nelskie
May 17th, 2006, 08:40 PM
Hey, if you can get a deal on a Special, more power to you. It's essentially the same as a Jr., and you'd be groovin' that sweet Class A mojo through a bigger speaker. And if you didn't like the effects, you already have plenty of 'em, so that's pretty much a wash. If the reverb sounds good, or even OK, then you're really cookin' with that rig. Really, you can't go wrong either way. ;)

Bloozcat
May 18th, 2006, 06:55 AM
Hey, if you can get a deal on a Special, more power to you. It's essentially the same as a Jr., and you'd be groovin' that sweet Class A mojo through a bigger speaker. And if you didn't like the effects, you already have plenty of 'em, so that's pretty much a wash. If the reverb sounds good, or even OK, then you're really cookin' with that rig. Really, you can't go wrong either way. ;)

Agreed. What's the worst that can happen? You get extra stuff that may be useful, and if not, so what? If the price is right, go for it!

duhvoodooman
May 18th, 2006, 03:03 PM
Hey, if you can get a deal on a Special, more power to you. It's essentially the same as a Jr., and you'd be groovin' that sweet Class A mojo through a bigger speaker. And if you didn't like the effects, you already have plenty of 'em, so that's pretty much a wash. If the reverb sounds good, or even OK, then you're really cookin' with that rig. Really, you can't go wrong either way.

Agreed. What's the worst that can happen? You get extra stuff that may be useful, and if not, so what? If the price is right, go for it!
Well, the best laid plans of mice & men....

What was shaping up as an excellent price for this Valve Special on eBay suddenly evaporated, as it was bid up well over the price of the Valve Jr. Since I really don't need the extra bells and whistles, I didn't intend to bid more than what I could get the Valve Jr. combo for new. I figured the price would probably shoot up near the end of the auction, and it has--up to $175 including shipment, and it ain't over yet. There will probably be a couple of last second "snipe" bids even higher than that. No surprise, really....