PDA

View Full Version : playing and singing

evenkeel
July 24th, 2008, 07:13 AM
So this is the deal. Beatles tune Blackbird. I can play it OR I can sing it. Playing and singing, just can't seem to get it together. There are other tunes I cover that are equally "difficult" and I seem to be able to muddle thru.

Frustrating. :thwap:

Anybody else have this happen? Any good tips on putting the two pieces together?

wingsdad
July 24th, 2008, 07:28 AM
Have you tried a dry run, just humming along the tune as you play? Takes less 'brain focus' than singing. Once that's lcoked in the brain cells, converting the humming to vocals can go mindlessly.

Spudman
July 24th, 2008, 08:16 AM
Two things come to mind since I do this tune too:

1. Play the piss out of the song without singing it and visualize yourself singing while you do this. Just don't sing. You'll build muscle memory and won't have to concentrate on the changes as much and it will free part of your brain to make room for singing.

2. Adapt the vocal phrasing to what is more comfortable to fit the words in with the playing. Think like you are Taj Mahal doing a version of Blackbird. You know he isn't going to do it the same as the Beatles version. Just do it your own way and make it work for you.

The more you do both things the easier it will become.

marnold
July 24th, 2008, 08:17 AM
I think almost everyone has his problem. You have to get both parts down so well that your brain really doesn't need to be engaged at all. For some reason, I find it much easier to sing and play guitar than I ever did singing and playing bass.

luvmyshiner
July 24th, 2008, 08:42 AM
I've run into the same problem with "Never too late" by Three Days Grace. I've got the finger picking down pretty well, but the timing is so unusual that I run into problems when trying to sing it. I haven't worked on it in awhile because I've been working on a couple of other songs, but one thing I've been doing is listening to the song alot and trying to count the beats so I can eventually (hopefully) nail the timing.

dws
July 24th, 2008, 11:45 AM
Two things come to mind since I do this tune too:

1. Play the piss out of the song without singing it and visualize yourself singing while you do this. Just don't sing. You'll build muscle memory and won't have to concentrate on the changes as much and it will free part of your brain to make room for singing.

2. Adapt the vocal phrasing to what is more comfortable to fit the words in with the playing. Think like you are Taj Mahal doing a version of Blackbird. You know he isn't going to do it the same as the Beatles version. Just do it your own way and make it work for you.

The more you do both things the easier it will become.

This works quite well.

Also, there's the option of trying to sing and play the song (at the same time) extremely slowly, until you start to feel comfortable. It really, truly doesn't matter how long it takes until you get the song down. But, once you do, all singing and playing will be much easier for you.

evenkeel
July 24th, 2008, 12:55 PM
Thanks for all the good advice. Like spuds "vizualization" comment. Makes a lot of sense. And wings "humming". :master:

Also good to know I'm not the only one who has struggled with this. Right now it feels like the pat your head and rub your stomach at the same time thing. Can't do that either, come to think of it.

ShortBuSX
July 24th, 2008, 01:57 PM
Why not try to sing a song that is simpler first?

Im not a singer, nor do I ever see myself as being one...but from what I understand, Wreckless Eric's "Whole Wide World" is supposed to be a good easy 'un to start with...just 3 chords, no fancy finger work.

Worked wonders for Harold Crick!
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8jS7AD-lqwA&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8jS7AD-lqwA&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Spudman
July 24th, 2008, 03:25 PM
Why not try to sing a song that is simpler first?

Im not a singer, nor do I ever see myself as being one...but from what I understand, Wreckless Eric's "Whole Wide World" is supposed to be a good easy 'un to start with...just 3 chords, no fancy finger work.

Worked wonders for Harold Crick!
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8jS7AD-lqwA&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8jS7AD-lqwA&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Totally! That is what it's all about. Just get good enough to get chicks to make out with you. Ha ha. I loved that movie and had forgotten that scene.