PDA

View Full Version : Kurt Vonnegut

tot_Ou_tard
May 16th, 2006, 12:47 PM
I've *always* loved that guy.

Breakfast of Champions!

The original post that inspired this has been moved from the tubes thread to here to avoid confusion. Had I figured out that I could do this I would've done it to start with. I'm just stupid...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

terry_kilgore2003@yahoo.com
Terry Kilgore is a professional musician who's most notable association was with Dave Lee Roth on his first album and tour after splitting with Van Halen. Terry has an extraordinary ear for tone, and he finds tubes that no one else can. He is often first to find tubes that become the latest "must have", and he is reasonably priced. His tubes are mostly NOS. E-mail Terry with specific requests or to ask general questions about his stock. Be prepared for an entertaining reply...Terry is a real character with an ear of gold.

I can't read the name Terry Kilgore without thinking of Kilgore Trout and Kilgore Trout without thinking of Warren Trout which brings us back to Warren :D

Added later: EXCEPT as Voodoo points out Warren = Walter. But Kilgore is still Kilgore.

Terry Kilgore sounds like my kind'a guy! I love characters! I'll have to look into those tubes someday.

BTW, Spud'll send a free Flower Kings CD to the first one who recognizes who Kilgore Trout is.

Myles
May 16th, 2006, 01:05 PM
Who is Kurt Vonnegut?

Tim
May 16th, 2006, 01:42 PM
Yep, I agree that I never of heard of this guitar player!

duhvoodooman
May 16th, 2006, 03:00 PM
Never heard of world-famous axeman KURT VONNEGUT??? Here's a photo from a recent performance:

Well, OK, not much of a guitarist, but he's done amazing things with a typewriter over the years....

tot_Ou_tard
May 16th, 2006, 03:01 PM
Never heard of world-famous axeman KURT VONNEGUT??? Here's a photo from a recent performance:

Well, OK, not much of a guitarist, but he's done amazing things with a typewriter over the years....

That is beAUtiful Voodoo!!

By the way, someone once told me that Vonnegut said that people get depressed because they don't understand the seasons. They think that there is something called Spring or Fall when in reality there is only unlocking and locking.

Everytime I hear someone express the inevitable shock that "I thought this was supposed to be spring, last week it was gorgeous & warm & today...SNOW! Gasp! :eek: " I tell them what didja expect? It's unlocking!

----

Yep, I agree that I never of heard of this guitar player!
O, so you found the Vonnegut thread Tim? But don't talk about geetars here that belongs in a geetar thread! :D

Spudman
May 16th, 2006, 05:24 PM
That photo looks a little like Buck Dharma from Blue Oyster Cult so I think the geetar line has been breached. What a coincidence, both camps write Sci-fi.

tot_Ou_tard
May 16th, 2006, 07:21 PM
That photo looks a little like Buck Dharma from Blue Oyster Cult so I think the geetar line has been breached. What a coincidence, both camps write Sci-fi.
Certainly Vonnegut writes Sci-Fi, but I wouldn't catagorize him that way. It's more crotchedy old human wisdom.

I haven't heard Blue Oyster Cult (please envision a gratuitous umlaut) since high school!

Buck Dharma? I didn't know that was his "name"...pretty good.

Bloozcat
May 17th, 2006, 05:56 AM
Certainly Vonnegut writes Sci-Fi, but I wouldn't catagorize him that way. It's more crotchedy old human wisdom.

I haven't heard Blue Oyster Cult (please envision a gratuitous umlaut) since high school!

Buck Dharma? I didn't know that was his "name"...pretty good.

I don't know if any of you are fans of the History Channel, but I've seen Kurt Vonnegut interviewed several times on shows about WWII. He served in the Army in Europe, and I believe it was the Battle of the Bulge that he was interviewed about. I didn't realize he was that old until I saw the show.

tot_Ou_tard
May 17th, 2006, 06:33 AM
I don't know if any of you are fans of the History Channel, but I've seen Kurt Vonnegut interviewed several times on shows about WWII. He served in the Army in Europe, and I believe it was the Battle of the Bulge that he was interviewed about. I didn't realize he was that old until I saw the show.
Yes, he is that old. His war experiences are at the root of alot of his writing.

He has a son, Mark Vonnegut, who was institutionalized after a mental breakdown. He has also written some books, but I have never read any of these.

BTW. The first person to name the title of a book *written* by the character Kilgore Trout gets a CD from Spudsy. :D

I hope you have a case of Paradox Hotel handy Spudman!

Bloozcat
May 19th, 2006, 11:06 AM
Am I losing my mind....:confused:

Weren't there additional posts on this topic that aren't here now? Did they get lost in the transporter or something?

Myles
May 19th, 2006, 01:09 PM
Here is a fairly decent list of Books by Kilgore Trout
* Asleep at the Switch
* Barring-gaffner of Bagnialto or This Year's Masterpiece
* The Big Board
* The Dancing Fool
* The Era of Hopeful Monsters
* First District Court of Thankyou
* Gilgongo!
* The Gospel from Outer Space
* The Gutless Wonder
* Hail to the Chief
* How You Doin'?
* Maniacs in the Fourth Dimension
* The Money Tree
* Now It Can Be Told
* Oh Say Can You Smell?
* The Pan-Galactic Memory Bank
* The Pan-Galactic Straw Boss
* The Pan-Galactic Three-Day Pass
* Plague on Wheels
* The Planet Gobblers
* The Protocols of the Elders of Tralfamadore
* The Smart Bunny
* The Son of Jimmy Valentine
* This Means You
* 2BR02B
* Venus on the Half-Shell << This is probably the one you were hoping us to choose.

tot_Ou_tard
May 19th, 2006, 06:56 PM
Am I losing my mind....:confused:

Weren't there additional posts on this topic that aren't here now? Did they get lost in the transporter or something?
No I am losing mine.

Robert edited several of my posts together.
I guess I tripled posted without knowing it. Although I think I was responding at different times to different posts, but I could be mistaken as I am often forgetful.

One must do alot of cut & pasting on the Fret if you wish to respond to more than one post.

The weird thing is I once had a post totally disappear so the next time I logged on I went hmmmm where did that go? So I rewrote the post.

For all I know, there are others missing, as well.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ooops! In fact, I just accidentally did it again here. So here is my response to Vital where it legally belongs.

Here is a fairly decent list of Books by Kilgore Trout
* Asleep at the Switch
* Barring-gaffner of Bagnialto or This Year's Masterpiece
* The Big Board
* The Dancing Fool
* The Era of Hopeful Monsters
* First District Court of Thankyou
* Gilgongo!
* The Gospel from Outer Space
* The Gutless Wonder
* Hail to the Chief
* How You Doin'?
* Maniacs in the Fourth Dimension
* The Money Tree
* Now It Can Be Told
* Oh Say Can You Smell?
* The Pan-Galactic Memory Bank
* The Pan-Galactic Straw Boss
* The Pan-Galactic Three-Day Pass
* Plague on Wheels
* The Planet Gobblers
* The Protocols of the Elders of Tralfamadore
* The Smart Bunny
* The Son of Jimmy Valentine
* This Means You
* 2BR02B
* Venus on the Half-Shell << This is probably the one you were hoping us to choose.

WOW!!!

I like the title "Maniacs in the fourth dimension".

How does anyone, maniacs included, fit into one dimension even if it is the fourth one? They must be be points.

Somehow I think I'll sleep fine tonight. I've got better things to worry about than maniacal dots.

Even worse: the fourth dimension is time. So these maniacs are like Feb 22 2006 and November 14 1977, but with NO physical extent.

Ruuuuunnn aaaiiieeeEEeeeeeee

Yes, Venus on the Half shell is the only one I have read. :D

Spud do you have that case of Flower Kings handy?