PDA

View Full Version : Ibanez RG470?

ShootTheGlass
July 25th, 2008, 06:37 PM
Sorry to start another "what do you think of this guitar" thread..

Having failed in my last Ibanez acquiring mission, im now looking at an RG470. Its some distance from me, so I cant really try it out before I buy, and theyve been discontinued for some time as far as Im aware. However, I can get a mate whos local to it to pick it up, and I should be able to bag it for about, or less than $200.

I thought about having a look on the net, but people seem loathe to give an honest opinion on how bad the gear theyve bought is: every guitar on Harmony Central seems to be awesome :D

The one thing that does seem agreed on, is that the Lo-TRS trem in the RG470 is a bit rubbish - wearing out quickly and general tuning instability.

Hence, has anyone tried one of these/have an opinion on it?

Rocket
July 25th, 2008, 06:48 PM
...people seem loathe to give an honest opinion on how bad the gear theyve bought is: every guitar on Harmony Central seems to be awesome
Human nature... people tend to want to positively justify their investment. Those that returned what they didn't like for a refund wouldn't bother reviewing something they didn't keep.

ShootTheGlass
July 25th, 2008, 07:11 PM
Human nature... people tend to want to positively justify their investment. Those that returned what they didn't like for a refund wouldn't bother reviewing something they didn't keep.

Good point.

I think Im too cynical/honest, and will do my best to tell anyone whos interested (and those who arent :) ) how bad something is if Ive experienced its crapness first-hand! :D

Spudman
July 25th, 2008, 09:48 PM
I have one in Grape Ice and absolutely love it. I get great sounds from it and the bridge is actually very good but mine is Japanese I think. $200 is a great price and you'll be happy with it as long as it's been cared for and not junk when you get it.

Radius
July 26th, 2008, 03:25 AM
That's a good price, but I'd still watch out for that bridge if I were you, it's not bashed for no reason ;)

marnold
July 26th, 2008, 08:54 AM
Generally speaking on a site like H-C, I use the Olympic scoring system. Throw out the highest and the lowest scores and go from there. Whatever is being reviewed probably isn't worth 10s across the board. It probably also isn't worth 1s.

One reason for many high scores besides purchase justification is that people post reviews too soon. You really should wait a bit until that "new guitar smell" has worn off. Only after playing it for about a month or so do you really have a grip on what it is.

WRT this guitar, I've never played one but I've heard an awful lot of bad things about that tremolo. That's what always put me off from getting any kind of whammy bar. You had to spend ~$1000 before you'd get a guitar equipped with an Original Floyd Rose. That's what I jumped at my Floyd. The Speedloader (and OFR for that matter) was selling for $170 alone and I got one with a nice guitar around it for $149. I'm no math major but even I could figure that one out :)

ShootTheGlass
July 26th, 2008, 09:37 AM
Yeah Ive seen some people say on the net you can use the original Lo-TRS posts, and put in an OFR or Gotoh bridge. Ill see if OFRs are pretty available here, and if so, Ill try and find someone whos actually swapped them, just to make sure.

All depends if its cost effective in the end I suppose.

stingx
July 26th, 2008, 12:54 PM
It's an excellent guitar for the $200 mark. Donut worry about the trem, you can always buy an OFR or a better Ibby one like the LO-PRO. Do you play like Vai? Do you plan to take it to pools and use it to dive from? :whatever:
Take what you read with a grain of salt please. Just as many people over-hype their guitars as do others berate them.

If you are willing to spend more you could always look on the bay for used RG550s. It will become one of the best guitars you'll ever own. That much is no bullshit...

Spudman
July 26th, 2008, 12:57 PM
Gosh, just get the thing and then decide if the bridge has to go. I have that bridge on 4 guitars and no complaints or issues. My bridges say Lo TRS Trem II. Is that different than yours?

stingx
July 26th, 2008, 01:00 PM
Most of the *****ing is over the Trem III. I really don't know why but I suppose you have to ***** about sumfin' :whatever:

Most of the people are very demanding of their tremelo in their bedrooms. These are the same twats who spank it awfully hard and go sans lube too I suppose...

ShootTheGlass
July 26th, 2008, 02:33 PM
Which is why I ask on this forum, I already respect the opinions of those on here more than elsewhere. New guitar acquisition in progress, pics to follow hopefully :)

pes_laul
July 26th, 2008, 02:52 PM
I played one of these guitars at the local music store. I personally liked it but I felt like it wasn't finished if that made sense.

the frets were a little high which caused buzzing and little things like that but once you fixed those it would be a player:AOK:

marnold
July 26th, 2008, 03:13 PM
Most of the *****ing is over the Trem III. I really don't know why but I suppose you have to ***** about sumfin' :whatever:

Most of the people are very demanding of their tremelo in their bedrooms. These are the same twats who spank it awfully hard and go sans lube too I suppose...
That may be a bit harsh :)

But as far as I am concerned, if I have a trem bridge it better come right back into tune no matter what I do to it.

The good news is that it's all moot. According to the bottom of this page (http://www.jemsite.com/jem/trems.htm) on Jemsite, an Original Floyd Rose (or a Speedloader too for that matter) is indeed a direct drop-in replacement for the TRSs.

I like the looks of that guitar. Before I got my Floyd I had my eyes on an Ibanez RG350MDX (http://www.ibanez.com/eg/guitar.aspx?m=RG350MDX). Maple fretboard with black sharkies. :drool:

Allow me to be the first to say: Pics! And clips for that matter!

Spudman
July 26th, 2008, 04:51 PM
Which is why I ask on this forum, I already respect the opinions of those on here more than elsewhere. New guitar acquisition in progress, pics to follow hopefully :)

Yea! :bravo:

stingx
July 26th, 2008, 05:27 PM
That may be a bit harsh :)

But as far as I am concerned, if I have a trem bridge it better come right back into tune no matter what I do to it.

The good news is that it's all moot. According to the bottom of this page (http://www.jemsite.com/jem/trems.htm) on Jemsite, an Original Floyd Rose (or a Speedloader too for that matter) is indeed a direct drop-in replacement for the TRSs.

I like the looks of that guitar. Before I got my Floyd I had my eyes on an Ibanez RG350MDX (http://www.ibanez.com/eg/guitar.aspx?m=RG350MDX). Maple fretboard with black sharkies. :drool:

Allow me to be the first to say: Pics! And clips for that matter!

I was to some extent in jest. I never had anything but OFR and very high-end Ibby trems but I would buy a guitar that felt and played well to me especially at a steal of a price knowing I could buy a replacement for the trem on the 'bay.

marnold
July 26th, 2008, 08:24 PM
I was to some extent in jest. I never had anything but OFR and very high-end Ibby trems but I would buy a guitar that felt and played well to me especially at a steal of a price knowing I could buy a replacement for the trem on the 'bay.
No worries. I hear what you're saying. I just couldn't overcome my "snide comment" gene. It is, however, good to know before you get it that a) you might want to pay close attention to the whammy bar and b) if it sucks, all is not lost.

Gonna go whammy me up a storm now :)

Katastrophe
July 26th, 2008, 08:29 PM
STG, you're gonna love this guitar. I've had an RG 570 since the early 90s, and it was a shredding, metal machine. I ended up having a Seymour Duncan Invader pickup installed, and it's still my favorite sounding guitar for aggressive playing.

On the other hand, I can't stand the FR tremolo on it. It's a supreme pain in the butt to change strings and intonate, and I've had a problem with keeping the bridge level for a long time now. I used to take it to a tech to set up before gigs, and everyone of them commented on how it was a bear to set up properly.

I'm about ready to pop in a tremol-no or similar device and use the thing like a hardtail, or get a replacement Floyd. When she's behaving, she's a fine, fine instrument, though!