PDA

View Full Version : DC power converters

tot_Ou_tard
May 17th, 2006, 07:22 AM
I need a DC power supply for my portable CD player.

I have a question that I thought that I'd ask here, what with all the pedal knowledge.

The specs are: 200 mA, 5-12 VDC, center pin positive 5.5 outer diameter barrel, 2.1 inner.

Question 1) Is it better to get something at the low end of the voltage range, the high, or the middle?

Question 2) The Radio Shack Dude told me that 300 mA would be fine, you just need at least 200 mA. Is this correct? If so, would it be better to get 200 mA, 300 mA, or higher or does it just not matter.

Thanks!

ZoSo65
May 17th, 2006, 05:37 PM
The biggest thing I could suggest is,,,find out what the specs are for the PS, that originally came with the unit, and go by that for a replacement.

Did you check to see if the manufacture of your player has replacement parts? That would be your best bet by far.

And as far as the RS dude saying a PS that's 100 mA over what your player needs,,,to me is just his way of getting a sale,,,,take what those dudes say with a grain of salt.
Personally, I wouldn't stray away from the factory specs.

Also, I've seen quite a few third party PS not work with some equipment, due to some very minor differences(prioritized). e.g. A friend of mine bought an effects pedal, that the original owner claimed didn't work(actually the guy gave it to him),,he tried several PS and a couple universal PS, no go, he ended up taking it to a tech, and the first thing the tech asked for was the PS, well obviously he didn't have it, the tech had one(personal stock) plugged it in and it worked.
So in the end my friend ended up with a pedal worth about $450 but only paid $25 for the PS to make it work.

Hope this helps ya, tard ;)

tot_Ou_tard
May 17th, 2006, 08:05 PM
That sounds like good advice ZoSo...thanks!

ray82609
May 18th, 2006, 01:48 PM
A 300ma power supply is a perfectly fine replacement for a 200ma supply. ma or 100th's of an amp are what the load calls for. For example a 60watt bulb uses 120v/60w = 2 amps or 2000ma. If you have a 200 amp panel, that's 24,000 watts available, but the bulb still only uses 60 watts. As long as the power supply has at least the current rating for the device it's fine. If you get a supply with more voltage than the product is rated for it will probably burn up.
-Ray

tot_Ou_tard
May 19th, 2006, 07:03 PM
A 300ma power supply is a perfectly fine replacement for a 200ma supply. ma or 100th's of an amp are what the load calls for. For example a 60watt bulb uses 120v/60w = 2 amps or 2000ma. If you have a 200 amp panel, that's 24,000 watts available, but the bulb still only uses 60 watts. As long as the power supply has at least the current rating for the device it's fine. If you get a supply with more voltage than the product is rated for it will probably burn up.
-Ray
Thanks Ray. Does it help at all to have a higher current rating?

So if the voltage is rated as 5-12 V, do you suggest staying at the low end, or somewhere in the middle, say 9V?