PDA

View Full Version : Tightening the nut on the jack/strap button

just strum
July 26th, 2008, 08:02 PM
I thought I recalled someone posting a tool they used for tightening the nut on the jack/strap button located on the inside of the guitar.

I don't remember if it was here, or at Washburn, or even some other site, but I recall someone posting a picture of what they used because they couldn't get their arm far enough into the sound hole to tighten the nut with a conventional open end wrench.

Anyone remember the post or have a way of tightening the nut? Excluding the suggestion of getting someone with thin/little arms.

Katastrophe
July 26th, 2008, 08:17 PM
I would think a nut driver would do the job nicely.

just strum
July 26th, 2008, 08:32 PM
I would think a nut driver would do the job nicely.

Nope, it has to be open end. The end inside the guitar has wired connected to it and the one I had experience with I believe had the wires coming out of the end. So, you can't use a box wrench, socket, or nut driver.

Katastrophe
July 26th, 2008, 08:36 PM
Okay, I've seen some open end wrenches where the end was angled at 90 degrees to the handle of the wrench. Would something like that work?

just strum
July 26th, 2008, 08:41 PM
Okay, I've seen some open end wrenches where the end was angled at 90 degrees to the handle of the wrench. Would something like that work?

That should work if it had a decent length handle.

Katastrophe
July 26th, 2008, 08:55 PM
Stew-Mac to the rescue...

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Wrenches/Endpin_Jack_Wrench.html

It's a nut driver, but with a slot cut in specifically designed for what you were talking about, I think.

tot_Ou_tard
July 26th, 2008, 09:02 PM
Stew-Mac to the rescue...

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Wrenches/Endpin_Jack_Wrench.html

It's a nut driver, but with a slot cut in specifically designed for what you were talking about, I think.Cool-O!

Ya gotta love Stewart-MacDonald.

Katastrophe
July 27th, 2008, 12:28 PM
Strum, is that the tool you were looking for?

Curiosity kills the Kat, you know...:D

just strum
July 27th, 2008, 12:39 PM
Strum, is that the tool you were looking for?

Curiosity kills the Kat, you know...:D

I think that may be it.

Hey Shiner, did you buy this tool? Maybe that's where the memory of a previous discussion is coming from.

luvmyshiner
July 27th, 2008, 01:23 PM
Yup. I used to to tighten the end jack on CB's (your) EA20. If you need to use it let me know and I'll mail it to you.

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m159/luvmyshiner/P8220004.jpg

just strum
July 27th, 2008, 01:30 PM
Yup. I used to to tighten the end jack on CB's (your) EA20. If you need to use it let me know and I'll mail it to you.

No, I don't need it, I was just trying to help someone out in another forum and I told him I recalled someone had a tool that did the trick - thanks for the offer though (Hint: new guitar doesn't require one of those tools).

PAPPY
July 27th, 2008, 03:37 PM
A small basin wrench should work also.

Kazz
July 28th, 2008, 04:46 AM
(Hint: new guitar doesn't require one of those tools).

Well that just narrowed it down....its either an Electric....or it is not an Acoustic Electric :-)