PDA

View Full Version : Played on a Genz-Benz amph recently...

Katastrophe
July 26th, 2008, 08:12 PM
And I must say, with the right guitar, this amph could be a deadly blues weapon!

It was a Black Pearl 30 tube amph.

Remarkable versatile, there was one knob with settings from Dark to Bright. The EQ worked well (mid, bass and treble knobs).

The magic happened when I turned the pre volume up all the way, with the Master volume at about half power.

WOW. Soft, rich, warm drive that sounded fantastic! I played with both an Ibanez Artcore (like Warren's - same color and everything) and a MIM 70s Strat.

The amph and the tones that were happenin' dictated the type of music to play, and it was blues time, friends. I made an idiot of myself in the music store, but I didn't care because of the tones I was getting. Cleans were sparkly, and I was able to get that "clean, but with a tiny amount of grit" tone that's been sounding so good to my ears lately.

Incidentally, the more I played on the Artcore, the more I liked it. The neck was great, and the trem unit was great for adding a little shimmer to chords and at the end of phrases. Great guitar, and very resonant. I got some of the coolest feedback at one point. The Strat, on the other hand, was a different story. Loved the neck, and the construction was great. The pups sounded thin and reedy unless I cranked all the way back on the treble, and used the "thick" setting on the amph.

Anybody else played with one of these amphs??? I wish I had more time to tweak the amph, 'cause there was definitely a lot of versatility there.

Robert
July 27th, 2008, 10:44 AM
I'd like to try one! I have heard good things about this amp. I've seen pics of Brent Mason endorsing these.

hubberjub
July 27th, 2008, 11:21 AM
I almost bought on last year. I think they are a great amp for the money.