PDA

View Full Version : How do you use effects loops?

GREENMACHINE
July 26th, 2008, 08:28 PM
Hey Guys,
My pedals sound much better when going through the effects loop at the back of my amp, but I can't figure out how to put my guitar through the amp and my pedals through the effects loop on the back, I know the pedals need to be connected in the return input but I can't get my guitar to go through the amps main input so that I can use my amps distortion and treble,mid,bass settings.

I need a run down on what inputs and outputs my lead goes into and so on.
Can anyone here help me please?

All comments much appreciated.
GREENMACHINE:D

ted s
July 26th, 2008, 09:37 PM
where you been !!!???

GREENMACHINE
July 26th, 2008, 09:41 PM
Hey Ted,
I have been practicing guitar and had school exams so yeah I haven't been able to get on for ages!!!! Which is really annoying!!!!.

GREENMACHINE

t_ross33
July 26th, 2008, 10:19 PM
I know the pedals need to be connected in the return input but I can't get my guitar to go through the amps main input so that I can use my amps distortion and treble,mid,bass settings.

Your guitar goes into the main input on your amp. Your chosen pedals need to be fed the "send" signal -> route through your pedal chain -> feed the output of your pedals back into the "return".

If you search TheFret there is lots of info on what effects sound better in the FX loop, order of effects etc. but in general OD and Dist go into the guitar "in", modulation FX like chorus, flange, etc. sound better in the loop.

GREENMACHINE
July 27th, 2008, 01:59 AM
Hey T Ross,
Right ok thanks very much for your help. I guess I got some of it right then haha. Thanks very much again for your help, I will go try that tomorrow and see if I can get it going.

Cheers
GREENMACHINE

tot_Ou_tard
July 27th, 2008, 06:19 PM
If you search TheFret there is lots of info on what effects sound better in the FX loop, order of effects etc. but in general OD and Dist go into the guitar "in", modulation FX like chorus, flange, etc. sound better in the loop.
Do clean boosts work well in the loop?

t_ross33
July 27th, 2008, 06:36 PM

I've never tried, but my guess is it would be more effective on the front end, unless you need to bring your signal up a little bit after it has been modulated/processed.

Try it and see what works for ya...

tot_Ou_tard
July 27th, 2008, 06:44 PM
I've never tried, but my guess is it would be more effective on the front end, unless you need to bring your signal up a little bit after it has been modulated/processed.

Try it and see what works for ya...
I was just wondering if I could keep the preamp tubes low & hit the power tubes hard.

I'll give it a try.

Gutmann
July 28th, 2008, 10:01 AM

They do work well to increase the signal-level without getting more overdrive from the preamptubes. For example, to get a louder leadsound.
It doesn't make a big difference if you only play clean.
In front of an overdriven amp, the cleanboost will increase the drive, so put the boost in the loop and it will increase the level.

Greets, uli

Blaze
July 28th, 2008, 12:23 PM
Wah-comp-od -booster: straight in the amp..

Flanger - Chorus -Delay -Reverb : in effects loop

Thats the best set up for me ..

Try it

Blazes

tot_Ou_tard
July 28th, 2008, 08:12 PM
They do work well to increase the signal-level without getting more overdrive from the preamptubes. For example, to get a louder leadsound.
It doesn't make a big difference if you only play clean.
In front of an overdriven amp, the cleanboost will increase the drive, so put the boost in the loop and it will increase the level.

Greets, uli
Thanks Uli!

GREENMACHINE
August 29th, 2008, 07:27 PM
Hey guys,
I finally got a new lead so I can put my pedals in the effects loop, but I was wondering where should a modelling pedal go? Through the effects loop or through the main input. I have the Eric Clapton pedal and its got a mixture of distortions and reverbs, choruses...... Where should I put it?

Cheers,
GREENMACHINE

tot_Ou_tard
August 30th, 2008, 06:42 AM
Hey guys,
I finally got a new lead so I can put my pedals in the effects loop, but I was wondering where should a modelling pedal go? Through the effects loop or through the main input. I have the Eric Clapton pedal and its got a mixture of distortions and reverbs, choruses...... Where should I put it?

Cheers,
GREENMACHINE
From what I understand the reverbs, choruses....want to be in the loop. The distortions want to be in front of the amph. You decide.