PDA

View Full Version : Painting a pickguard

tot_Ou_tard
July 27th, 2008, 08:41 AM
I think the color of the pickguard on my Godin SD is butt-ugly & replacement Godin pickguards are not that easy to find.

Can I just paint it? If so, what do I use so that it won't peel, flake, or chip?

just strum
July 27th, 2008, 08:48 AM
I think the color of the pickguard on my Godin SD is butt-ugly & replacement Godin pickguards are not that easy to find.

Can I just paint it? If so, what do I use so that it won't peel, flake, or chip?

Make one - Shiner for one, has made a few of them and I'm sure he would be happy to tell you how he's done it.

To be honest, I am not familiar with Godin, what are we talking about (type of guitar).

tot_Ou_tard
July 27th, 2008, 08:55 AM
Make one - Shiner for one, has made a few of them and I'm sure he would be happy to tell you how he's done it.

To be honest, I am not familiar with Godin, what are we talking about (type of guitar).
It has to be easy, if I am gonna make it. I assume I just buy the pickguard material & trace my old pickguard. Cutting it is the hard part.

Yup, type of guitar:

http://www.godinguitars.com/godinwhatsnewp.htm

just strum
July 27th, 2008, 08:59 AM
It has to be easy, if I am gonna make it. I assume I just buy the pickguard material & trace my old pickguard. Cutting it is the hard part.

I don't know if he uses a router, I guess it depends on the material. Over at Washburn, pick guard making was/is almost as common place as changing strings.

Is your pick guard glued to the body or is one that rides above the body?

Yup, type of guitar:

http://www.godinguitars.com/godinwhatsnewp.htm[/QUOTE]

wingsdad
July 27th, 2008, 09:32 AM
tot-
This outfit makes the stock pg's for G&L and replacements for almost any brand. They show only one model Godin, not the SD. But this link to their Ordering page explains how you can get any pg made-to-order:
Ordering From Chandler Guitars Pickguards (http://www.pickguards.us/pgordinst.htm)

luvmyshiner
July 27th, 2008, 10:16 AM
Tot, I used wood veneer to make my pick guards. They weren't that difficult to cut because the material is so thin. I used an X-acto knife. The more difficult part was finishing them. Because the material is so thin you have to be careful not to break it. I usually made three or four at a time with the expectation that I would ruin one or two of them.

Make sure you get your pattern before you remove the pick guard. The process of removing it pretty much ruins the pick guard, which is the problem with painting your existing pick guard. The only way to do that without ruining it would be to paint it while it's on the guitar, and I would feel pretty uncomfortable about trying that.

Here's a couple of pictures of some I've made.

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m159/luvmyshiner/P8050007.jpg

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m159/luvmyshiner/P7140007.jpg

tot_Ou_tard
July 27th, 2008, 10:30 AM
tot-
This outfit makes the stock pg's for G&L and replacements for almost any brand. They show only one model Godin, not the SD. But this link to their Ordering page explains how you can get any pg made-to-order:
Ordering From Chandler Guitars Pickguards (http://www.pickguards.us/pgordinst.htm)

Thanks Wingsdad. I remember seeing that site a year or so back. It's great to have a link.

If I went the custom route, I'd first want to pick the pups (see another thread) because I may not use standard HSS pups.

The best idea seems to be get the pups, the time frame on this would be about a year, trace my old pickguard with the new-sized cutouts for the pups & send in the tracing plus my old pickguard to Chandler (or some other site) to have a custom one made.

Those pickguards look sweet Shiner, but are not what I am looking for on the Godin (it's an electric).

Does anyone know the answer to the original question? Could I paint it, if the mood siezed me?

luvmyshiner
July 27th, 2008, 10:42 AM
Gotcha Tot, sorry I was thinking acoustic. I wouldn't imagine there would be a problem painting it. But I would sand it lightly with a high grit sandpaper first to make sure the paint adheres. Worse case scenario, it doesn't work and you have to buy a new one, which is pretty much where you are right now.

just strum
July 27th, 2008, 10:43 AM
Thanks Wingsdad. I remember seeing that site a year or so back. It's great to have a link.

If I went the custom route, I'd first want to pick the pups (see another thread) because I may not use standard HSS pups.

The best idea seems to be get the pups, the time frame on this would be about a year, trace my old pickguard with the new-sized cutouts for the pups & send in the tracing plus my old pickguard to Chandler (or some other site) to have a custom one made.

Those pickguards look sweet Shiner, but are not what I am looking for on the Godin (it's an electric).

Does anyone know the answer to the original question? Could I paint it, if the mood siezed me?

It sounds as if you are set on painting it. I still don't know how this pick guard is attached, but hey paint the damn thing and if it sucks, have a backup plan. What is the material of the current guard?

tot_Ou_tard
July 27th, 2008, 11:04 AM
If I paint it, I'd rather use the right kind of paint...if there is such a thing.

Strum you just tied my number of posts 3,841.

This post is to keep ahead of you.

Of course, I joined in March 2006, whereas Strummy-With-A-Bullet joined in Sept. 2007.

just strum
July 27th, 2008, 11:12 AM
If I paint it, I'd rather use the right kind of paint...if there is such a thing.

Strum you just tied my number of posts 3,841.

This post is to keep ahead of you.

Of course, I joined in March 2006, whereas Strummy-With-A-Bullet joined in Sept. 2007.

Tot, I assume this is easily removable, so moving on to the next step, what is available in paint for fiberglass. Not that your pick guard is fiberglass, but if there is a paint for that, I would assume it would work for your application.

As for posts, 99.9% of mine are useless, so if we counted worthwhile content, it's not looking too good for me.

tot_Ou_tard
July 27th, 2008, 11:50 AM
Tot, I assume this is easily removable, so moving on to the next step, what is available in paint for fiberglass. Not that your pick guard is fiberglass, but if there is a paint for that, I would assume it would work for your application.

As for posts, 99.9% of mine are useless, so if we counted worthwhile content, it's not looking too good for me.
I'll look into fiberglass paint.

Your posts are not worthless Strum. You add a great deal of humour & good energy to this place.

But my opinion might change once you zoom past me in posts ;).

just strum
July 27th, 2008, 12:11 PM
I'll look into fiberglass paint.

Your posts are not worthless Strum. You add a great deal of humour & good energy to this place.

But my opinion might change once you zoom past me in posts ;).

Tie - your serve

tot_Ou_tard
July 27th, 2008, 12:30 PM
Tie - your serve
It was Advantage Strum.

We're back to Deuce now ;).

How about using a primer for plastic surfaces first?

http://www.rustoleum.com/product.asp?frm_product_id=357&SBL=1

just strum
July 27th, 2008, 12:37 PM
It was Advantage Strum.

We're back to Deuce now ;).

How about using a primer for plastic surfaces first?

http://www.rustoleum.com/product.asp?frm_product_id=357&SBL=1

A primer will help for the finish coat to adhere. You know what my concern would be every time it's scratched it will display the primer or original color. Although I still have no idea what this pick guard looks like, I am not getting any good vibe with painting it.

tot_Ou_tard
July 27th, 2008, 12:41 PM
A primer will help for the finish coat to adhere. You know what my concern would be every time it's scratched it will display the primer or original color. Although I still have no idea what this pick guard looks like, I am not getting any good vibe with painting it.
Yeah, that was my concern. That the painted surface wouldn't take the pick abuse.

The color?: Butt Ugly.

just strum
July 27th, 2008, 12:51 PM
Yeah, that was my concern. That the painted surface wouldn't take the pick abuse.

The color?: Butt Ugly.

Now you are tying this in with the tp thread.

evenkeel
July 27th, 2008, 02:03 PM
Some considertions re: a fiberglass paint.

The typical paint for use on fiberglass surfaces is a single part or two part polyester, urethane paint. The single part paints are easier to work with have but less depth of shine. The two part paints are also more durable. With the two part paints you mix a catalyst with the base paint. These paints are pretty much the same as auto body paints.

You'll probably want to prime the pickguard first. Sand the pick guard with 200 grit paper and apply the primer. Then you will likely need to sand and prime again.

Also be advised these paints are very volatile and the solvents contained in the paint are very agressive. Be VERY, VERY careful and don't get them on the guitar finish.

I'd be very reluctant to try it. An awful lot of work for minimal reward.

ShootTheGlass
July 27th, 2008, 02:41 PM
Having sprayed a lot of car parts (plastic arch extensions, bumpers etc), this somewhere I can answer pretty confidently!

You have one of two options: the first is to add a plasticiser to the paint you are going to use, should be able to get it from any car paint supplier. You just mix it in prior to spraying, and then spray as normal. The plasticiser allows the paint to expand and contract with the plastic of the pickguard as it changes temp.

The other way is just to lay the paint on a little thicker, has roughly the same effect, but youll spend a bit of time buffing it to a good finish.

Either way, use a dedicated plastic primer, you can get this from any bodyshop supplies place.

As mentioned above, 2pack paints are awesome, just be VERY careful if you end up using them; im not sure what regulations are like in the US, but its easy to get isocyanate/xylene based 2pack paints here in the UK; neither of them are very pleasant to work with, but the results are great.

Id be very surprised if you manage to significantly scratch the finish on a heavy 2pack paint - I painted my race car with that, and if regularly left tools on the roof, with next to no marks. Youd need to strum like a beast to mark it with a bluntish nylon pick!

Hope that helps.

tot_Ou_tard
July 27th, 2008, 03:50 PM
Yow that sounds like alot of work & I don't own an airbrush or paint sprayer.

I would take the pickguard off of the guitar before painting so there'd be no chance of getting anyyhing on the guitars finish.

I'll probably just stick with Butt Ugly for a while.

ShootTheGlass
July 27th, 2008, 06:35 PM
well, you can just sand it, use a rattle can of plastic primer, and then a rattle can of the desired colour over the top. Costs about £4 each here, so probably about $2 in the US lol

tot_Ou_tard
July 27th, 2008, 06:41 PM
well, you can just sand it, use a rattle can of plastic primer, and then a rattle can of the desired colour over the top. Costs about £4 each here, so probably about $2 in the US lol
That was what I was hoping I could do.

It won't chip or flake or anything like that?

ShootTheGlass
July 27th, 2008, 06:48 PM
Ive done some dashboard plastics for cars in the same way, so I guess not. Thats even on the heater vent surrounds, which get moved around a lot; and living in scotland theyll heat up and cool down a LOT over the course of a couple of months, so I imagine if its fine here you should be good. :)

As long as you key it with some sandpaper, give it a couple of coats of dedicated plastic primer, then spray the colour on top and clear lacquer it, it should be fine. I just use general auto paint, so if you fancy matching your pickguard to your car, its no problem :)

As I say, the plastic primer should be available from anywhere that stocks rattle cans of car paint.

ShootTheGlass
July 27th, 2008, 06:51 PM
just as an additional, I have an old shagged bit of dashboard trim like I was talking about, here with me just now. I tried scratching it, and I actually need to give it some to scratch it or flake it off. Youd need to spend a fair bit of time to scratch it with a pick, thats for sure.

Forgot to say; before priming the plastic the first time, give it a quick wipe with degreaser. A spot of washing up liquid is fine.

Remember, the finish is all in the preparation ;)

just strum
July 27th, 2008, 07:04 PM
Tot, you sound like you are determined to do it. Before you go and get yourself some cans of paint, price out your back-up plan. You either make one yourself or go to where Wingsdad suggested. If you are ok with the back-up plan, then get those cans of paint and have at it.

tot_Ou_tard
July 28th, 2008, 05:28 AM
My backup plan is to scream

Holy Sh!t! What the F@CK have I done?

A working Butt Ugly pickguard is heaven compared to this freakin' monstrosity.

& then drink myself into a stupor & fall asleep crying.

or I suppose I could try to huff the remaining paint & turn myself in to the law.

http://extimages.christopherestep.com/Somethingsjustmakeyoulaugh_E54F/TheHuff.jpg

just strum
July 31st, 2008, 05:19 PM
My backup plan is to scream

Holy Sh!t! What the F@CK have I done?

A working Butt Ugly pickguard is heaven compared to this freakin' monstrosity.

& then drink myself into a stupor & fall asleep crying.

or I suppose I could try to huff the remaining paint & turn myself in to the law.

http://extimages.christopherestep.com/Somethingsjustmakeyoulaugh_E54F/TheHuff.jpg

Missed this until now, stick with drinking yourself into a stupor & fall asleep crying.

thearabianmage
July 31st, 2008, 06:01 PM
Just my 2p/2c (I can't remember if you're American or British)

As ShootMyGlass mentioned, auto spray-paint is just fine for painting guitars. I did it with my guitar that I've done recently (but I'm not the best spray-painter and spray-painting in the wind is tricky, trust me :D ) so I won't show pictures, but it can be done!

These sites offer excellent advice for newcomers to paint jobs:

http://www.reranch.com/basics.htm

http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/tutorial5.htm

And, again, because I seem to remember you being British for some reason, here is a website to obtain high-quality spray-paints - £2.75 for a 400ml can - amazing! (just make sure you buy ALL you need in one go - shipping is killer!)

http://www.thelayup.com/premium.html

If you are American, I gotcha covered - the first link also make their own range of spray paints designed especially for guitars.

Hope this helps, have fun!!

just strum
July 31st, 2008, 06:03 PM
Just my 2p/2c (I can't remember if you're American or British)

You haven't been around long enough, he's not even from this planet.

thearabianmage
July 31st, 2008, 06:09 PM

My bad. . . :D

ShootTheGlass
July 31st, 2008, 07:16 PM
Good links there!

I may be repainting my Ibanez after I pick it up on Sunday, might do a photo montage of it all getting done, just need to find the needle for the spray gun first!

tot_Ou_tard
August 1st, 2008, 05:02 AM
That's true, but we occaisionally get reports of brown Unidentified Parcel Saucers. It is rumoured that they are piloted by american accented earthoids.

The biggest mystery is that we often find packages full of gear on the deck of our spaceport after such a sighting.

We believe that it is earthoid excrement. It remains a complete mystery as to why our's stink while your's rawks.

Brian Krashpad
August 1st, 2008, 10:45 AM
I painted the pickguard on my DeArmond M-72:

http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/3460/honeyof4.jpg

However, I lucked out, the pickguard was CLEAR, so I painted the underside and didn't have to worry about chipping or peeling. Fwiw, though, I used regular spraypaint and it did not seem like it would chip or peel. I know other people who use regular rattle-can spray and apparently have not had probs.

Fwiw, ymmv.

just strum
August 9th, 2008, 10:20 AM
Tot,

Here's another place to keep on file

www.terrapinguitars.com/

tot_Ou_tard
August 9th, 2008, 11:30 AM
Yeah I found that site too Strum.

Man! Now you have over 100 more posts than I do. :master: :master: :master: :master:

I'm gonna wait on the pickguard until I decide on the pups. There may be some modding to do.

just strum
August 9th, 2008, 11:38 AM
Yeah I found that site too Strum.

Man! Now you have over 100 more posts than I do. :master: :master: :master: :master:

post nonsense like me.

tot_Ou_tard
August 9th, 2008, 12:02 PM
post nonsense like me.
I do, just not as quickly nor as often ;).

ShortBuSX
August 10th, 2008, 02:34 PM
If youre gonna paint it Id highly recommend "Krylon Fusion"...its made for plastics, you wont need a primer...its what all the car guys use to paint their interior plastics with. Its cheap and you can get it at Walmart or the like.

BUT I wouldnt paint it(itll show wear), even though nobody still knows what kinda pickguard youre talking about, your link just goes to the Godin site home page...but alot of the Tele guys will just buy a 3M kinda garbage can(black) and cut out the shape they want...Im sure you can find garbage cans of different colors if you look around.

tot_Ou_tard
August 10th, 2008, 03:50 PM
If youre gonna paint it Id highly recommend "Krylon Fusion"...its made for plastics, you wont need a primer...its what all the car guys use to paint their interior plastics with. Its cheap and you can get it at Walmart or the like.

BUT I wouldnt paint it(itll show wear), even though nobody still knows what kinda pickguard youre talking about, your link just goes to the Godin site home page...but alot of the Tele guys will just buy a 3M kinda garbage can(black) and cut out the shape they want...Im sure you can find garbage cans of different colors if you look around.
Garbage can?!?

I would'a never would'a ome up with that. I don't have a digital camera, but my pickguard is exactly like the one below. My guitar is blue with a maple board however.

http://www.sisterraysmusic.com/images/products/small/SD.jpg

just strum
August 10th, 2008, 04:19 PM
I figured this out, you have deployed a wear down tactic - you think one of us will eventually breakdown and just buy the damn prick guard for you. Well buddy, me and my money don't part company that easily.

warren0728
August 10th, 2008, 04:31 PM
one of us will eventually breakdown and just buy the damn prick guard for you.
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :poke: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

count me out on that purchase....just sayin'....

ww

just strum
August 10th, 2008, 04:37 PM
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :poke: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

count me out on that purchase....just sayin'....

ww

Hah, that was an honest mistake, but funny.

warren0728
August 10th, 2008, 04:45 PM
Hah, that was an honest mistake, but funny.
best kind... :AOK: :beer:

ww

marnold
August 10th, 2008, 06:13 PM
What, are you Blackie Lawless or something?

http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/1/17/Blackielawless.jpg

just strum
August 10th, 2008, 06:14 PM
What, are you Blackie Lawless or something?

http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/1/17/Blackielawless.jpg

Ahhhhhhhh, oh man that one got me. Soda on laptop screen.