PDA

View Full Version : Capo question

KrisH
July 27th, 2008, 08:51 PM
This is weird, but I think it means something.

On one of my guitars, placing a capo on the neck makes it sound better -- fuller. It changes the tone, not just the pitch. I don't know if I can really describe it, but it tends to sound flat and flabby when played with open strings and more resonate or sustaining, even deeper, when capoed. It doesn't matter whether it's on the first fret or the fifth.

Why would this be? Does it mean the nut is deficient? Or does it mean my imagination is way too overactive? Anyone?

pes_laul
July 27th, 2008, 08:52 PM
how old are your strings?

Rocket
July 27th, 2008, 09:29 PM
I have a Traveler Speedster and I often clamp a capo on the headless end to add some mass:

http://cachepe.zzounds.com/media/fit,400by400/quality,85/brand,zzounds/speedster_red_frt-part397-024491-5ce7d370be7b07c8ee4ebf0d3c9f8a70.jpg

KrisH
July 28th, 2008, 05:01 AM
The strings have been on for about 3 months. They are the D'Addario flat-tops, and still sound bright. They haven't been used heavily since they were put on.

Is mass at the headstock part of the equation? Or maybe a tightening the strings?

marnold
July 28th, 2008, 08:47 AM
Try just clamping the capo to the headstock itself. If you still get that "magic sound" then headstock mass is your answer.

As I posted elsewhere I think my Floyd just sounds better tuned to Eb instead of standard tuning. I can't explain it. It doesn't make sense to me logically. It may be a placebo effect. I have no idea. But to me it sounds better. And, finally, since the only person I have to impress is me . . .