PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed buying a Washburn D10

Lev
July 28th, 2008, 06:56 AM
To all the Washburn experts,

Last weekend we had a family gathering in our house and I was called upon to play some guitar, there was quite a crowd of singers, clappers and hummers etc so my Takamine Acoustic had a hard time being heard. Although I love the sound of my Takamine plugged into an amp it lacks any real power when played acousticly due to it's small body.

So I decided to have a look at what good value dreadnoughts are out there that will do a good job for acoustic sing alongs without breaking the budget. After doing some research I found the Washburn D-10S, solid spruce top with mahogany back and sides - gets some great reviews and it's at an affordable
price.

I noticed also that there are some Limited additions available for an extra €20 with different woods in the back and sides:

Washburn D10S Walnut Limited Edition
Washburn D10S Bubinga Limited Edition
Washburn D10S Ovangkol Limited Edition

Does anyone have any experience with these limitted editions? and for those of you who own a D10 can you tell me how good the acoustic volume is on this model.

Any info would be much appreciated...thanks

t_ross33
July 28th, 2008, 07:34 AM
Go for the D10S solid spruce top - plain and simple and should have the punch you are looking for. The D10 is a comfortable guitar to play. I think you'd like it.

I think my next acoustic is going to have a solid spruce top, but maybe in a jumbo format just for fun ;)

luvmyshiner
July 28th, 2008, 08:07 AM
I don't have any experience with the limited editions Lev, but the plain old D10S was my first guitar, and she still gets as much play time as any of my others. She's a great guitar and you certainly can't beat the price. I did spend a little extra money and upgraded to a bone nut and saddle, and in my opinion it was money well spent. I don't think you'll have any problem with the acoustic volume on the D10S, but I would suggest playing one before you buy to make sure it's what you're looking for.

Kazz
July 29th, 2008, 03:08 AM
I had a D10S a few years back....mine was an older model 94 if I recall, and I wish I had held on to that one.

wingsdad
July 29th, 2008, 07:34 AM
Lev,
I've got a Tak FXC body guitar (EAC38C) like your EF261 has, but it's rosewood b/s and spruce top. Yours has a cedar top, and that also softens (mellows) it's sound somewhat. What are you stringing it with? If I go with D'addario EJ-16's or EFT-16's (Flattops) or equivalent (.012-.053 bronze wound), I get more volume than with a lighter gauge ("extra-light",.010-.047). The lighter gauge gives a bit 'slacker' strumming sound/tone. I ultimately found I like Silk n' Steels better on this particular guitar...Da'dd EFT-40's, that also have an uncommon set of gauges, heavier trebles, lighter basses (.011-.047).

If you already string with bronze wound 12's or heavier, then you're about maxed out with acoustic volume with that FXC body.

Any solid spruce top, hog b/s dread is gonna sound like a cannon compared to an FXC body with a cedar top. The Wash D10S is an excellent value in that breed, especially at it's price point. But like Shiner suggests, try one out if you can, and while you're at it, try other similar guitars around that price range and go with the one that asks you to take it home.

EDIT: Just to add one thing that's often overlooked about acoustic or especially acoustic/electric guitars: you can mod them with saddles, nuts or bridge pins of various density materials (tusq, bone, etc), but these will only efect the guitar's constant tone and volume factors, the others being body shape/size, bracing and tonewoods. Once youv'e got that settled, besides technique (fingerstyle or picker) the variable in the tonic/sonic equation is strings. Strum's favorite subject ;) . Gauges, wrappings. You can transform the same guitar into different sounding guitars with various string types. And then tunings. Open tunings, slack string tunings, etc., etc., etc.

Lev
July 29th, 2008, 09:13 AM
I use D'addario bronze wound 012-053 generally, I remember when I first bought it trying various strings to get the right balance between feel and volume and these were what I settled on.

Any solid spruce top, hog b/s dread is gonna sound like a cannon compared to an FXC body with a cedar top. The Wash D10S is an excellent value in that breed, especially at it's price point.

This is what I was hoping to hear - I can get one of the limited exotic wood editions online here for €160 with a gig bag which is really amazing value for a solid top acoustic. If it's a guitar that'll last a lifetime then this is well worth a punt. I don't know of any local stores stocking these guitars so it's unlikely I'll get a chance to try before I buy.

The final question I have is on the wood for the back and sides, are they laminates or real mahogany/walnut/zebra etc? The washburn site claims they are mahogany (D10S) but I've read some sites calling them laminates. I'm assuming the tone won't be greatly affected by which wood I chose on the back and sides, it's more a cosmetic thing?

luvmyshiner
July 29th, 2008, 09:29 AM
Only the top is solid wood on the D10S. The back and sides are laminate.

wingsdad
July 29th, 2008, 09:35 PM
...I'm assuming the tone won't be greatly affected by which wood I chose on the back and sides, it's more a cosmetic thing?

There's a fair amount of debate on that, Lev. I think a consensus would be that the back & sides have more to do with effecting projection and volume rather than tone, but that said, a harder, denser back like maple will reflect more crisply, and thus, project mids & trebles with more volume, than a rosewood, which will reflect with more 'warmth' and thus, a bit more bottom. Mahogany is probably more 'balance' and so it's most popular. Laminate vs. solid? Of practically no consequence on tone and sound as far as the sides go, since all they do, really, is hold the back & top together a certain distance apart. Solid woods will 'age' & 'open' up over time, so a solid back will have some influence, in the long run. The top and the body size/shape are the biggest factors.

Lev
July 30th, 2008, 03:42 AM
Thank you Gentlemen for your help and information - now I just need permission from the Wife!!

luvmyshiner
July 30th, 2008, 07:18 AM
Good luck Lev. If you need Wingsdad and I to talk to her just let us know.:AOK:

wingsdad
July 30th, 2008, 07:51 AM
... - now I just need permission from the Wife!!

Good luck Lev. If you need Wingsdad and I to talk to her just let us know.

Lev, just go with this ancient principle:

'Tis easier to beg for forgiveness than to seek permission.

How It Works (http://s17.photobucket.com/albums/b81/wingsdad/TheFretNet%20Pix/FretNet%20Acoustics/?action=view&current=7f3a1f65.pbw)

Lev
July 30th, 2008, 09:34 AM
Maybe I can follow Spud's exampe and have so many guitars that the wife will never notice a new one. :)

peachhead
July 30th, 2008, 01:55 PM
[QUOTE=wingsdad]Lev, just go with this ancient principle:

'Tis easier to beg for forgiveness than to seek permission. [QUOTE]

Lev, I just followed this principle last week and fleabayed a D10S. I am on vacation for the next 4 days (Thu/Fri/Mon/Tues) so hopefully it will come when my loving wife is at work and I don't have to explain it until I get it back from the shop- I'm taking it to have a new saddle and nut put on. Once I get it back then I can just tell her it's her birthday present to me that she didn't know about :D
Anyway, I'll let you know how it sounds when I get it. I think it will turn out to be a bargain.

Lev
July 31st, 2008, 09:37 AM
Pulled the trigger on the D10S Exotic Wood Bubinga today. Looking forward to recieving it next week :D

I briefly flirted with the idea of a Yamaha FG-700 but the D10 looked a far prettier guitar especially with the Bubinga back and sides. Both get great reviews so I think I made a good choice. Will post a report when UPS come knocking.

luvmyshiner
July 31st, 2008, 10:01 AM
Good for you Lev! Can't wait to hear the review and see some pics.