PDA

View Full Version : B.B. King's biggest influence

Jimi75
July 28th, 2008, 12:01 PM
I just read the BB King biography and he mentioned Lonnie Johnson as his biggest influence. Well, I think one can really hear it. Lonnie makes beautiful music and I will check more of his recordings.

pDAsJHgIRqI

dws
July 28th, 2008, 02:00 PM
That's really interesting!

I didn't know B.B. King HAD any influences.:thwap:

player
July 28th, 2008, 03:55 PM
everybody has influences.I wonder who was W.C. Handy's influence considering he has been called the father of blues.although the king has influenced many it makes you wonder how Handy came to be.kind of doubt he woke up one day and said I think I'll invent the blues

just strum
July 28th, 2008, 03:59 PM
Jimi, nice post. Good to hear what drove the people we hear about today.

Post like these are always interesting.

evenkeel
July 28th, 2008, 05:13 PM
Nice, Nice, Nice!!!

Good post. :bravo:

Danzego
July 28th, 2008, 06:24 PM
How dare they cut to the other band members when the guitar solo is playing!! What is this....the precursor to modern MTV? :reallymad:

That dude was awesome, though. I wish I was that badass. :master:

Ch0jin
July 28th, 2008, 07:16 PM
That was cool, thanks for posting!

Damn depressing lyrics though so a great example of the Blues :)

dws
July 29th, 2008, 08:38 AM
everybody has influences.I wonder who was W.C. Handy's influence considering he has been called the father of blues.although the king has influenced many it makes you wonder how Handy came to be.kind of doubt he woke up one day and said I think I'll invent the blues

I think it's evolution applied to music.

What about Robert Johnson?

It is quite difficult to say who truly invented the blues. I'd have to say that it was a team effort.

Mark, it certainly wasn't DH.

player
July 29th, 2008, 12:57 PM
I think it's evolution applied to music.

What about Robert Johnson?

It is quite difficult to say who truly invented the blues. I'd have to say that it was a team effort.

Mark, it certainly wasn't DH.
True Robert Johnson is another one very much worth mentioning.if I have my facts correct the Blues as we know them were created in the Delta south by a host of others including Handy.

Dave don't ask DH(SFB).like the rest of his foollishness he might lay claim to that too like the rest of claims made,gear,jobs,etc. inside joke fellow fretters.topic started in the open mic forum covers it for those who are curious here:http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=5730

dws
July 29th, 2008, 02:40 PM
if I have my facts correct the Blues as we know them were created in the Delta south by a host of others including Handy

Sounds about right.

Danzego
July 29th, 2008, 03:04 PM
True Robert Johnson is another one very much worth mentioning.if I have my facts correct the Blues as we know them were created in the Delta south by a host of others including Handy.

Funny, that. I just did a presentation on Robert Johnson in my History class a month and a half ago. :D

As far as "the Blues as we know them", I would say that the Delta style is likely the most popular and influential, but it wasn't the only substantial style of Blues going on back then, over the course of time, and even now. In fact, as far as recordings go, other styles (like Texas blues) were recorded and being aired long before guys like Robert Johnson were even on the scene.

My point is that even though the Delta Blues may be the most prominent or quickly associated with "Blues" (and why not, what with the ever so familiar classic picture of a black man in a rumpled suit sitting on a stool or crate, his guitar in hand and a bottle of whatever within reach, ready to "sang the blues"?), it's just one of several major styles that comprise "the Blues"...as a whole and as we know it. :)

scgmhawk
July 31st, 2008, 01:14 PM
That guy could play -- and it looked like he wasn't alternate picking (unless he did when the panned to the band). I remember years ago buying a Blind Lemon Jefferson record, at the recommendation of my guitar teacher who was a jazz/blues guy. They were all scratchy recordings from the 20's (I think). I wish I still had it (but I don't have a record player anymore anyway!) -- I don't think I really liked it when I was 15 but I think I'd find it more interesting today. I would imagine he was one of the pioneers from the deep south, along with many others.

player
July 31st, 2008, 01:43 PM
That guy could play -- and it looked like he wasn't alternate picking (unless he did when the panned to the band). I remember years ago buying a Blind Lemon Jefferson record, at the recommendation of my guitar teacher who was a jazz/blues guy. They were all scratchy recordings from the 20's (I think). I wish I still had it (but I don't have a record player anymore anyway!) -- I don't think I really liked it when I was 15 but I think I'd find it more interesting today. I would imagine he was one of the pioneers from the deep south, along with many others.

he is Not dead yet but have seen him look better.you might be able to find that recording at dustygrooves.com.too many to try and list to narrow the field much.yes he was definitely a pioneer in blues creation among the masses of others