PDA

View Full Version : Keeping a bass line

dws
July 29th, 2008, 02:38 PM
By picking a low (bass) string while also strumming and/or picking, it sounds as if there is more than one guitarist playing at the same time. I've always been quite fond of riffs that use these, and I've had a bit of trouble finding songs that do.

Here's what I've got in respect to songs that have a bass line going (and ones that I can play):

AC/DC-"If You Want Blood (You've Got It)"

So yes, I have quite a list in the works. I'd like some suggestions for songs that use this technique-I think it is a useful skill. So, I'm asking people who actually know about guitar here for some help.

ShortBuSX
July 31st, 2008, 09:46 AM
Do you mean a "waliing bassline"?
If so you might try "Ice Cream Man" by Van Halen.

Robert
August 4th, 2008, 04:42 PM
Hmm, listening to that AC/DC song, I don't hear much of a bass line going. The bass basically plays on the root note of each chord.

I am not sure where you're at with your guitar playing, but songs like Ice Cream Man (Hit The Road, Jack) might help. Learning some basic blues bass lines would be very helpful too. Here's a video lesson that shows some basic blues bass lines:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFnm2xSfL8E

dws
August 7th, 2008, 06:57 AM
Admittedly, it isn't very prominent in that song. The A string, especially in the beginning is palm muted, and serves as the base line. Maybe it would have helped if I had said that...

dws
August 7th, 2008, 07:02 AM
Some blues definitely use base lines, and I've been paying attention to the ones that do now.

Going to learn Ice Cream Man this week, definitely, and Hit The Road Jack is good too--I'll know both soon.

This'll keep me occupied for a bit, so I might not be giving as much bad advice on this forum! ;)

ShortBuSX
August 7th, 2008, 03:05 PM
Not much of a walking bassline, but still in the same ball park is "the Lemon Song" by Zeppelin.