PDA

View Full Version : Microphones

Robert
October 24th, 2005, 04:36 PM
I'm almost ready to record on my computer! I have a Tascam US-122 but I don't have any mikes. I'll be getting a SM 57 as soon as I can find a decent priced one on eBay. I need a vocal mic too - will the 57 work for that? Or should get a different mic for vocals? Or should I get a SM 58 for both guitar and vocals?

Tone2TheBone
October 25th, 2005, 08:29 AM
Definately use the 57 on the amp. Experiment with different angles on the speaker too. Some like straight into the speaker cone...others like me like the mic at about a 45 degree angle or so towards the center of the speaker cone but with the tip of the mic near the edge of the outside speaker. It seems to pick up more bottom end that way and also some nice overtones that you'd hear if you were standing right over the amp. Of course it will also pick up the sound directly from the center too so it covers a lot of sound. An SM58 has always been a fantastic vocal mike for live use and I would imagine it great for recording but maybe someone else might have other ideas that are good.

6STRINGS 9LIVES
October 30th, 2005, 01:20 PM
If I could only have 2 mics they would both be 57's. The 57 has been an industry standard for guitar and makes a darn fine vocal mic too. 2 57's would give you lots of flexability for recording, double mic's on guitar rigs give endless tonal possibilities, one close and one back a little for acoustic instruments gives great presence to a recording ... 58's are great vocal mics but are designed to work their best within the vocal freq range they are also very directional in field. 57's can do it all vocal , instrument and they work quite well on snares and toms too...6S9L

Robert
October 30th, 2005, 02:47 PM
Thanks, 6s9l, that is what I wanted to hear! :p
I'll be shopping soon.