PDA

View Full Version : Introduction from new member

Bossfan
July 30th, 2008, 11:14 PM
Hi all,
Just joined the forum at the referral of Sunvalleylaw. Glad to be a part of it! I'm 39 and after years of hearing me whine about wanting to learn to play, my wife surprised me with guitar lessons for Christmas about four years ago. Been loving it since.... I play a Highway 1 Strat, Carvin California carved top, Takamine accoustic and a Fender parlor accoustic. My amps are a 20 watt Crate starter and a Vox AD30VT, but looking to branch out more into low wattage tube amps, pedals, and the rest of the gear to satisfy my gear-junkie cravings. Love Springsteen, Clapton, Thin Lizzy, Eagles, Rush, Police, and I admit some of the hairbands of the 80's.

Looking forward to the exchange of info!

Thanks,
Bossfan

sunvalleylaw
July 30th, 2008, 11:47 PM
Welcome Tom! Glad you made it in. You and I have spent some times around the campfires belting out some Boss lyrics, have we not?

Have fun!

Bossfan
July 31st, 2008, 12:03 AM
Yes we have...especially after a few barley pops! :beer:

mrmudcat
July 31st, 2008, 12:41 AM
WELCOME :rockon:

street music
July 31st, 2008, 04:43 AM
Welcome Boss, one thing you must give your Carvin to one of us and then you will get three wishes. None be granted but at least you get to make wishes.:bravo:

luvmyshiner
July 31st, 2008, 06:58 AM
Welcome to the Fret Bossfan. Any friend of Steve's has got to be good people.

warren0728
July 31st, 2008, 07:23 AM
welcome bossfan....this is a great forum....i think you will like it here....

ww :pancake:

note: this welcome copyrighted 2008...no unauthorized use of this welcome will be tolerated

Robert
July 31st, 2008, 09:06 AM
Welcome Bossfan!

Algonquin
July 31st, 2008, 10:42 AM
Welcome to the Fret Bossman (Tom)
Cheers :beer:

Katastrophe
July 31st, 2008, 11:40 AM
and I admit some of the hairbands of the 80's.

Nothing wrong with that! Take away some of the 80's excess (Aqua net hairdoos, bright pink polkadot guitar paint jobs, etc.), and there was some fine music made in the 80's that has stood the test of time (even if the choice of wardrobe didn't).

Welcome to the forum, Bossfan. Looks like you've amassed some nice gear... Post a pic or two (especially of the Carvin) if you get the chance.

just strum
July 31st, 2008, 11:42 AM
Welcome to the forum. Glad to have you join.

scgmhawk
July 31st, 2008, 01:19 PM
Welcome and Cheers (barley pop) :beer:

tot_Ou_tard
August 1st, 2008, 05:12 AM
Welcome Bossfan!

Someday someone's gonna convince me that Bruce Springsteen is interesting.

I think that I must've heard Born in the USA too often.

On the other hand, I've never really listened to any of his other songs.

Maybe I just need a few barley pops. ;).

Bossfan
August 1st, 2008, 08:51 AM
Yeah, while the Born in the USA was a huge commercial success, I'm drawn more to his earlier albums from the 70's because of the storytelling lyrics and more simple arrangements. Check out Darkness of the Edge of Town if you haven't.....great album in my opinion.

sunvalleylaw
August 1st, 2008, 09:26 AM
Well, Bossfan and I have not sung "Born in the USA" songs around the fire for sure. As an existing fan, I was pretty ambivalent about that album. The earlier stuff has some really great lyrics, and the performances were something that had not been seen. In addition to those albums, youtube some Hammersmith Odeon performances and check it out! Search for "Thunder Road Hammersmith Odeon" I bet you like it!
"The screen door slams, Mary is dressed waiting . . . . "
"

Brian Krashpad
August 1st, 2008, 10:23 AM
Welcome Tom Bossfan!

Any friend of Steve's is a friend of ours!

Well, mine anyhow.

I keed because I luv.

oldguy
August 1st, 2008, 06:15 PM
Welcome, Tom, to TheFret! :D Glad you joined us here...... friend of Steve's, huh?
Sounds to me like the boys are back in town..........:cool:

Looking forward to having you as a member here, any friend of Sunvalleys......:rotflmao:

ted s
August 1st, 2008, 08:14 PM
Welcome Bossfan !

duhvoodooman
August 2nd, 2008, 09:27 AM
WELCOME to The Fret, Bossfan!! :AOK: :dude: :rockon:

I'm a Springsteen fan, too--The Wild, the Innocent, and the E-Street Shuffle is my personal favorite among his albums.

Man, I've been drooling over one of those Carvin Cali Carved-Tops for about a year. Got a photo you can post, and make my affliction worse??

tot_Ou_tard
August 2nd, 2008, 05:58 PM
OK, I'll try to dig up some Springsteen & give a listen.

Bossfan
August 2nd, 2008, 11:13 PM
Not yet, but I'll post one up soon. I love the guitar - it was a gift to myself after the birth of our daughter. Just need to improve my playing to be worthy of the instrument!

F_BSurfer
August 3rd, 2008, 05:18 AM
Welcome Bossfan this is a great place to be

player
August 3rd, 2008, 09:34 AM
Welcome Tom Bossfan!

Any friend of Steve's is a friend of ours!

Well, mine anyhow.

I keed because I luv.
Welcome Bossfan.I know you will like it here.Ditto about Steve too

sunvalleylaw
August 3rd, 2008, 11:35 PM
OK, I'll try to dig up some Springsteen & give a listen.

Hope you have fun! Here is one to get you started. More piano oriented, but a good watch. The lyrics are among my favorite. (Hey Bossfan, sorry for going offtopic a bit, but have to help a brother out.) This is from the glory years of the Boss in my opinion, up through "The River" in 80 or 81. Some of the related vids on the right are good too. Check out Jungleland listed there.

PYPSZiE0OAs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYPSZiE0OAs (in case the link goes dead)

EDIT: Ah heck, I'm just going to post Jungleland just because I want you to watch it. ;)

0aRhqVWUPPs&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aRhqVWUPPs&feature=related

Spudman
August 4th, 2008, 12:06 AM
Welcome Bossfan.:wave:

Bossfan
August 4th, 2008, 07:35 AM
No worries, Sunvalleylaw. Always a pleasure to watch old Springsteen clips. Gotta love Youtube!!!

stingx
August 4th, 2008, 07:51 AM
http://bestsmileys.com/welcome/15.gif

Bossfan
August 4th, 2008, 11:47 PM
Okay, DVM and Katastrophe requested pictures of my Carvin California. Just posted new thread under the other brands section of guitars. Enjoy.

tot_Ou_tard
August 6th, 2008, 07:02 AM
Hope you have fun! Here is one to get you started. More piano oriented, but a good watch. The lyrics are among my favorite. (Hey Bossfan, sorry for going offtopic a bit, but have to help a brother out.) This is from the glory years of the Boss in my opinion, up through "The River" in 80 or 81. Some of the related vids on the right are good too. Check out Jungleland listed there.
EDIT: Ah heck, I'm just going to post Jungleland just because I want you to watch it. ;)

Those were very enjoyable Steve, thanks.

Bruce sure does a great "singer face", but I'd rename the E Street Band

La Groupe Des Chapeaux

cool bunch'a hats on them dudes.

king_petrucci
August 8th, 2008, 12:14 AM
Welcome Boss. Im new here too.

Im also a big rush fan. Actually a fan of anything prog lol.