PDA

View Full Version : My Two "Freebie" Pedals

duhvoodooman
July 31st, 2008, 08:40 AM
Just thought I'd post a quick photo of two new DIY pedals I just completed. These were the two free kits that I got with the "buy 4, get 2 free" deal that BYOC ran back in June. One is a souped-up clone of the well-known Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi, and the other is (AFAIK) an original BYOC design digital delay. It's called a "ping-pong" delay because it utilizes two delay stages that can be run in series ("echo" mode, where the two delays are additive, up to 800ms total delay) or in parallel (the "ping-pong" mode). When running parallel, if you set the two delay knobs to different time intervals, you hear both echo signals, giving rise to the ping-pong like effect. Gives some pretty cool delay effects! The other two controls are for repeats (i.e. a signal feedback control) and mix (strength of the echo vs. the "dry" signal). The repeat control has enough range that you can drive the pedal into an infinite oscillation, if you want to. There's a good YouTube video HERE (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOzocTjGQYE), if you want to check out BYOC's demo of the pedal.

I built the delay pedal purely stock, but the BMP clone was subjected to the customary DVM modification lunacy. This kit is a flexible design to begin with, since it incorporates a popular modification used by DIY builders for the Muff, namely an EQ bias switch. The stock BMP has a characteristically mid-scooped tone, which can make it difficult to cut through a band mix and be heard. Consequently, many pedal modders like to put in a switchable capacitor set-up so that the EQ voicing can be changed. The BYOC kit achieves this with a rotary switch that offers 4 choices: stock mid-scoop, flat mid-range, boosted mid-range, and an "lift" setting that bypasses the EQ stage of the pedal completely and gives a very full/fat sounding fuzz with a significant volume boost. I added two more features--a gain/sustain boost toggle switch on the left side and a 3-way toggle on the top-left that lets you switch between three different clipping modes--the stock silicon diodes, red LED's (louder & beefier tone), and JFET's (smoother & warmer). Very similar to the 3-way clipping switch I use in my ZYS overdrive pedal, for those of you familiar with that one. The gain/sustain boost is actually fairly subtle, and is based upon a popular BMP mod called the "creamy dreamer. Now that I've tried it once, if I built another one of these, I'd just "hard-wire" this mod rather than making it switchable, since it just adds a bit more sustain (a desireable thing in a fuzz pedal, IMO) relative to the stock circuit. I plan to just leave the switch in the "More" position all the time. The BYOC kit gives you the option of building the pedal either to the "Triangle era" or "Ram's Head era" circuit specs. I like the sound of the former a bit more, so that's the one I used. Because of all the added features, I called the finished pedal the "Mega-Muff".

Here's the photo of the two pedals (a clip or two maybe later):

http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/744891ce037cf26.jpg

Tone2TheBone
July 31st, 2008, 08:51 AM
This is some of the best stuff on this site! Those came out beautiful my friend!

Algonquin
July 31st, 2008, 09:39 AM
This is some of the best stuff on this site! Those came out beautiful my friend!
+1 :AOK: Always look forward to reading and viewing your projects DVM... Top Notch!

duhvoodooman
July 31st, 2008, 10:19 AM
Thanks, guys. You know how much I enjoy doing these. And after the fun of building 'em, I get to plug into 'em and drive the family crazy!! What could be better?!? ;) :D :rockon:

sunvalleylaw
July 31st, 2008, 10:43 AM
Cool DVM! Those look awesome! I want a good delay one of these days.

warren0728
July 31st, 2008, 01:48 PM
I want a good delay one of these days.
me too...but i seem to keep putting it off... :rotflmao: :poke:

ww

sunvalleylaw
July 31st, 2008, 02:13 PM

ww

:bravo: :rotflmao: :master:

luvmyshiner
July 31st, 2008, 02:15 PM
Very nice Voodoo, I love checking out your projects.

duhvoodooman
July 31st, 2008, 04:03 PM

ww
Yeah, when it comes to echo effects, I hear that again & again.... :D

warren0728
July 31st, 2008, 07:56 PM
Yeah, when it comes to echo effects, I hear that again & again.... :D
:beer: :rotflmao: :AOK: :beer: :rotflmao: :AOK:

ww

M29
July 31st, 2008, 08:16 PM
Great job DVM as always. I love this stuff:rockon:

I am considering a delay pedal, would this be a good overall delay or is it a specialized type pedal? I know nothing about delay pedals at this time.

Nice work DVM nice work indeed :AOK:

M29

duhvoodooman
August 1st, 2008, 05:31 AM
I am considering a delay pedal, would this be a good overall delay or is it a specialized type pedal? I know nothing about delay pedals at this time.
Well, it's not going to have the flexibility of the multi-mode digital delays you'd get from Boss, DigiTech, etc. but it's certainly not a one-trick pony, either. At max setting, it'll do nearly a full second of delay (800ms), which isn't bad, and the ping-pong effect adds an extra dimension.

If you're potentially interested, check out the YouTube vid linked above--it's a pretty thorough demo of the pedal's capabilities.

Bloozcat
August 1st, 2008, 02:27 PM
I'm tellin ya', the Duh Voodoo Man logo is quickly becoming a branded trade name....

The fret's own "Booteek" pedal maker.....

Good work there buddy! :AOK:

Ch0jin
August 8th, 2008, 12:41 AM
These look good DVM and you've given me an idea for my own BMP clone. Mine is built to GGG tuned specs which makes it pretty wild, expecially the tone control, but I haven't found a sound in it that I love yet so maybe swapping in some mosfets for clipping might be the change it needs.

Ch0jin
August 8th, 2008, 12:52 AM
Great job DVM as always. I love this stuff:rockon:

Nice work DVM nice work indeed :AOK:

M29

I can also vouch for the PT80 Delay kit from General Guitar Gadgets. It doesn't do the ping pong stuff, but imo it freakin -nails- the old AD80 analog delay sound. It's as warm as a hot woman on a cold night, and if you tweak it just right, it's just as freaky ;)

SuperSwede
August 8th, 2008, 02:46 AM
Well, it's not going to have the flexibility of the multi-mode digital delays you'd get from Boss, DigiTech, etc.

But then again it IS all analog which usually sounds a LOT better than digital stuff :AOK:

duhvoodooman
August 8th, 2008, 07:06 AM
But then again it IS all analog which usually sounds a LOT better than digital stuff
Well, actually, no--it's called the Digital Echo & Ping-Pong and here's what BYOC says about it:

"If you haven't been turned on to the new wave of analog voiced digital delays yet, then you're missing out. They're every bit as warm as analog delays, they have more delay time, and some of them can actually make it through a gig without having to change batteries.

The BYOC Digital Echo & Ping Pong uses the PT2399 delay chip, which is the cornerstone of most of the boutique digital delays. It's a very easy device to work with and it is quickly gaining recognition for its great tone. The BYOC Digital Echo & Ping Pong actually uses two PT2399 delay chips for double the delay time when it's in echo mode. It has approx. 800ms of delay time in echo mode."And having heard it now, I have to agree that this is no line of BS. Very warm & pleasing tone. They've obviously come a long way with digital delay chips vs. some of those earlier pedals with their sterile & synthetic sounding tone.

BTW, Keith does have an analog delay kit in the final stages of development and it's supposed to be out by Sept. some time. Will have 1.2 seconds of pure analog delay. Has a lot of DIY'ers licking their chops in anticipation.... :drool: