PDA

View Full Version : an incredibly beautiful thing...

Childbride
July 31st, 2008, 08:17 PM
there are certain weather truisms about living where we do.

a) it's going to rain in march and october.

b) drivers can't drive worth poo in winter weather, and will endanger the safer drivers.

c) snow is a rarity south of hillsboro.

d) july and august stink on ice. you can't be out between 2 and 6 pm if you're over 30 without suffering abysmally from the heat if you don't have a misting system [and are in your backyard], and there is no rain to be found anywhere... cali has the forest fires... we have the grass fires. one county i go to on a regular basis had a thousand acre grass fire last week. they call out the forces to fight them every year. devastation and destruction, drought and dead lawns. weather, with heat indexes, of up to 115.

tonight, with only a 20% chance of showers, it started thundering wickedly at 7:30. the skies turned that wicked color that smacks of tornado alley, and the trees started whipping in the wind.

and it rained, baby, it rained. i had Shiner turn on the back porch light, and i was as entranced as if we were having a january blizzard.

the lights from the back porch illuminated the streams of water so that some of them looked like christmas tree tinsel coming from the heavens, but even more fascinating was the water that particulated and danced, ever forming, into jelly fish tendrils, water snow flakes, flowing grasses, the ends of the optic nerves on those 70's multi-lights, then into the rippling fur of some exotic beast. it's still raining now, 40 minutes in, and i forgot my guitar, my lesson, the tv show i was watching... i forgot everything. i was entranced. all i could do was to watch the total and utter beauty of a mid-summer thunderstorm.

it is an incredibly beautiful thing...

just strum
July 31st, 2008, 08:23 PM
b) drivers can't drive worth poo in winter weather, and will endanger the safer drivers.

I was going to dig up the pictures of the snowfall you guys can't drive in. The pics I saw, you could have cleaned up the town with a feather duster, and THAT shut down Waco?

Childbride
July 31st, 2008, 08:26 PM
I was going to dig up the pictures of the snowfall you guys can't drive in. The pics I saw, you could have cleaned up the town with a feather duster, and THAT shut down Waco?

yup. no kidding.

peachhead
July 31st, 2008, 08:57 PM
We're the same way here- ANY snow shuts us down, and you can be sure the grocery stores will be out of every damn thing.

CB, can you send us some of that rain? Please? :D

PAPPY
July 31st, 2008, 09:02 PM
At least someone got a rain.....it sure wasn't us.

Are you sure it was rain or did you watch the video of the Dead Snake.