PDA

View Full Version : G.E. Smith -- His Tele Promo Vid

Sblack
August 1st, 2008, 03:57 PM
This is kind of old, but G.E. Smith has always been someone I have idolized as a teen in the 80's -- his gig on SNL and his work with Hall and Oates and Bob Dylan. There is something about GE's cool personality and musical vita that screams rock-n-roll. And his Tele promo video makes me want to go out and buy a Tele again and wonder why I ever sold the one I had. Enjoy! ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnQYoRYedF0

peachhead
August 1st, 2008, 05:11 PM
That was cool- I always enjoyed him on SNL as well, a lot of the time I wished I could watch the breaks just to see him play. I admit I had no idea he was so prolific. I'm going to have to look for more of his stuff.

sumitomo
August 1st, 2008, 05:31 PM
That was a cool vid,I really liked what he was saying about necks,I really do not like how most taper(smaller at the nut and getting larger)I had a tele along time back it was a aria and It felt and played great,the neck was great for my hands.Im still chasing that feel,I'll find it.Hey thanks for posting that vid.Sumi:D

stingx
August 1st, 2008, 06:26 PM
Huge G.E. Smith fan here :D

Thanks for the post.

evenkeel
August 2nd, 2008, 06:57 AM
Really good vid. Thanks for posting. You relly get Smiths love of all things music and his love of the Telecaster.

Good stuff. :D

warren0728
August 2nd, 2008, 08:05 AM
very cool video....looks like a great guitar (and that lapsteel was cool too!) :bravo:

thanks for the post! :AOK:

ww

tot_Ou_tard
August 2nd, 2008, 02:36 PM
Wow that was a very cool video. It's great to see his genuine love of music.

I dig the lap steel inlays.

Man, I gotta get me a Tele.

Katastrophe
August 2nd, 2008, 04:16 PM
I think that if GE Smith got any more laid back, he'd slip straight into a coma.
:D

Nice vid, and reminded me that I've enjoyed his playing for years. Great stuff!

just strum
August 2nd, 2008, 04:33 PM
I remember him from his Hall and Oates days.

no tele here:

anLfoy2XsFw

wingsdad
August 3rd, 2008, 09:31 AM
Enjoyed every minute of that promo vid. :) G.E. mentioned the cats he's played with. Not to stray too far OT here, but in 1996 I was at a business convention at the Chicago Hilton for a week. Around the corner is Buddy Guy's club, Legends. Went there every nite that week. Wow. Bought a video they had on sale: "Buddy Guy Live: The Real Deal with G.E. Smith and the Saturday Night Live Band". Recorded at the club in 95.

If you dig Buddy, imagine him with G.E. directing the backup band.:thwap: Shoot...don't imagine it...find this video and get it. :dude:

I found this this cut from the video. Starts with 1:12 or so of an interview with Buddy, then gets to the song. The whole vibe of G.E. behind BG's left shoulder is fun to watch as he leads the band. After Buddy smokes his main solo, at 3:55, he turns it over to G.E. for his minute and he wails that Tele. So just FF to that point if you want to skip BG's solo and just watch G.E., but it's much cooler if you put it in context of how he follows BG's thing:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/aWdbRXvB5G8&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/aWdbRXvB5G8&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

stingx
August 3rd, 2008, 10:28 AM
I cannot help but feel old watching the Hall and Oates videos :(

I remember it like yesterday when all those hits were fresh and new and all over the airwaves. It really boggles the mind how fast time flies by. I think they all look great in their 60s and they've seem to have held up well. I often wished humans came equipped with rewind buttons...

just strum
August 3rd, 2008, 10:39 AM
I often wished humans came equipped with rewind buttons...

Not to sound morbid, but maybe that is what death is.

stingx
August 3rd, 2008, 10:41 AM
I'd like to believe there's something more afterwards but, being the consummate cynic, I think all there is is just the big sleep. Hopefully I'll be proved wrong.

just strum
August 3rd, 2008, 11:02 AM
I'd like to believe there's something more afterwards but, being the consummate cynic, I think all there is is just the big sleep. Hopefully I'll be proved wrong.

Well, I'll meet you on the other side and we can jam. I'm taking my Strat, Dot, and WildKat with me, so I should be easy to find.

tot_Ou_tard
August 3rd, 2008, 11:03 AM
I often wished humans came equipped with rewind buttons...
No that's a terrifying thought.

Every gadget with a rewind button plays the same damn thing again after rewinding.

The thought of all my dumb choices & idiotic perspective going on over & over & over again is enough to make me want to shoot myself....

....over & over & over again...

just strum
August 3rd, 2008, 11:16 AM
No that's a terrifying thought.

Every gadget with a rewind button plays the same damn thing again after rewinding.

The thought of all my dumb choices & idiotic perspective going on over & over & over again is enough to make me want to shoot myself....

....over & over & over again...

T_yDWQsrajA

evenkeel
August 3rd, 2008, 11:30 AM
Wings,
Great video. Love the way Smith takes that Buddy Guy "feel" and pushes it right into his solo. Got to watch the whole thing to appreciate how GE does that.

Good stuff. :bravo: