PDA

View Full Version : Swap the pickups from my Ibanez?

ShootTheGlass
August 1st, 2008, 04:19 PM
As you may have read, I bought an RG470 the other day, which I pick up on Sunday (wheee!).

Now, I have a set of Seymour Duncan Hot Rodded (sh2n and sh4 pups, Jeff Beck and Jazz), doing nothing at this moment. I dont know if the standard Ibanez pickups, the V7 and V8, are any good, or if theyre standard fit tat.

So the question is, should I swap the pups to the SD's: or are the V7/8 good enough, just sell the SD's?

nothing like planning modding a guitar before you have your grubby hands on it! Pickups I already have, so its no extra outlay.

marnold
August 1st, 2008, 04:26 PM
Wait and listen to the OEM pups first. Maybe you'll like them and you won't have to bust out the soldering iron. Plus, IIRC, the notch positions on the switch the standard Ibanez wiring taps a coil on the humbucker so that it will be hum-canceling with the middle single coil. I know that there are diagrams out there on how to do it. Just a warning in advance that it could get a bit messy with different color codes and (potentially) phase issues.

ShootTheGlass
August 1st, 2008, 04:46 PM
Yeah I already put a Dimebucker in my mates RG320 and that took a bit of dredging the web. A lot of people seem to hate the Dimebucker, but its an uber high output one, good for squeals, so suited him. He had the INFs, which were so weak it was unbelievable.

Wasnt sure if the V's were recognized as bad as the INFs, but I reckon they might be better.

Always worth canvassing opinion :)

hubberjub
August 2nd, 2008, 01:34 PM
Are the Duncans trem spaced?

marnold
August 2nd, 2008, 08:47 PM
Are the Duncans trem spaced?
They have two versions of all of their humbuckers, regular and trembucker. The trembuckers are Floyd/Fender spaced.