PDA

View Full Version : Just discovered guitaring

Kenj
August 1st, 2008, 05:35 PM
Hey everyone, it feels great to join a great community such as this. Though I have never been musically inclined during my short 18 years, I feel this summer is a great time to prove myself wrong. Besides, it seems like a great hobby to pick up on and girls love it so what the heck. :D

My friend recommended that my first guitar be the fullerton st3/st4 but having looked everywhere, it seems they're nowhere to be found nowadays. If anyone would like to help a noobie out by parting with their fullerton, or recommend a similar priced and functional electric guitar, it would be really great because I'm really poor having to move out for uni.

oldguy
August 1st, 2008, 06:10 PM
Welcome to TheFret, Kenj!:D Glad you joined us here. Can't help you w/ the Fully, but there are lots of good quality instruments out there.... (Squier, Douglas, Agile, SX, etc.), and I'm sure lots more will chime in soon with more.

And you're right....
(girls do love it, btw)

Kenj
August 1st, 2008, 07:08 PM
Thanks oldguy, nice meeting ya! Will look into those brands for sure. :D

ShortBuSX
August 1st, 2008, 07:13 PM
Id start by asking how much do you wanna spend? And what about an amp?

You can find a Squier "starter pack" with guitar and amp for cheap, less than $100...try looking on Craigslist, save on shipping and get to put your hands on it before commiting.

Robert
August 1st, 2008, 07:14 PM
Welcome, Kenj! I gave a Fullerton to my daughter, she likes it. A similar quality guitar would be Squiers, SX, etc as already mentioned. Personally, I think Squier may the best quality for the money you pay. For 2-300 bucks, you can get a good Squier, but do test out several, since the quality control is not always the best. Fret sprout and other details are sometimes skimped upon. The Classic Vibe series Squiers are getting very positive feedback in the guitar community right now.
http://www.squierguitars.com/classicvibe/

Kenj
August 1st, 2008, 07:35 PM
Hey good question but to be honest I never even thought about the amp. :D
A hundred bucks sounds about right, and that squier starter pack fits snugly in that spot.

Id start by asking how much do you wanna spend? And what about an amp?

You can find a Squier "starter pack" with guitar and amp for cheap, less than $100...try looking on Craigslist, save on shipping and get to put your hands on it before commiting.

I thought about going to an actual store and actually test drive different models, but I have absolutely no clue what to look for!:confused: So for now, I'm sticking to word of mouth from pros like you. :D

Welcome, Kenj! I gave a Fullerton to my daughter, she likes it. A similar quality guitar would be Squiers, SX, etc as already mentioned. Personally, I think Squier may the best quality for the money you pay. For 2-300 bucks, you can get a good Squier, but do test out several, since the quality control is not always the best. Fret sprout and other details are sometimes skimped upon. The Classic Vibe series Squiers are getting very positive feedback in the guitar community right now.
http://www.squierguitars.com/classicvibe/

I appreciate all the feedback guys! Thanks so much!

warren0728
August 1st, 2008, 07:53 PM
welcome kenj....this is a great forum....i think you will like it here....

ww :pancake:

note: this welcome copyrighted 2008...no unauthorized use of this welcome will be tolerated

ted s
August 1st, 2008, 08:08 PM
Welcome Kenj !

ShortBuSX
August 2nd, 2008, 08:34 AM
Hey good question but to be honest I never even thought about the amp. :D
A hundred bucks sounds about right, and that squier starter pack fits snugly in that spot.

I thought about going to an actual store and actually test drive different models, but I have absolutely no clue what to look for!:confused: So for now, I'm sticking to word of mouth from pros like you. :D

I appreciate all the feedback guys! Thanks so much!

As with buying anything that you dont know much about, once again start at the price you are willing to spend, then do a search online for guitars in your range and then compare features and whats important to you.

But as I type this, I cant help but think of Rondo guitars (http://www.rondomusic.com/electricguitar.html) for you...they are heavy on features for very lil dough.

And seriously, check out Craigslist, but itd be a good idea if you did test drive some guitars/amps in your price range beforehand...something WILL speak to you.

duhvoodooman
August 2nd, 2008, 09:43 AM
WELCOME to The Fret, Kenj!! We have players of all ages & abilities here, so jump right in! :AOK: :dude: :rockon:

Man, too bad you weren't here back around Apr. '07 when the "Fullerton Fever" swept through here like wildfire while Music123 was clearing out their Fullerton stock. I got two ST4 "Fat Fullies" for $27 each, delivered. Just insane. Later sold one on eBay and upgraded the other and still play it often, since it's the only HSS type I own. You can read about the feeding frenzy in THIS (http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=2957) old thread....

Childbride
August 2nd, 2008, 10:02 AM
welcome to the Fret! this is a great place full of very knowledgeable people! :)

just strum
August 2nd, 2008, 12:45 PM
KenJ, if you are sure (or as sure as one can be) that you are going to stick with it, give some thought to your purchase. If you feel you are going to stick with it and you go too cheap, it will only be a guitar that sits in the corner.

Cheap guitars are toys and only discourage your playing, however inexpensive guitars are deals and can bring you a lot of pleasure. If you haven't purchased one yet, I suggest you try different ones out and see what you like. When you do, be sure to plug them into an amp that you will most likely be buying. Don't make the mistake of plugging into a $1,000+ amp and then walking out the store with a Fender amp that you can fit in your pocket.

Write down everything you try and then come back here and bounce it off the good folks here. And if you want bang for the buck, buy used and stretch your dollar.

Oh sorry - Welcome

tot_Ou_tard
August 2nd, 2008, 02:07 PM
Welcome Kenj!

Good luck with your search.

Kenj
August 2nd, 2008, 04:42 PM
Such a warm welcome from so many characters here, I just can't help but to :rotflmao:

WELCOME to The Fret, Kenj!! We have players of all ages & abilities here, so jump right in! :AOK: :dude: :rockon:

Man, too bad you weren't here back around Apr. '07 when the "Fullerton Fever" swept through here like wildfire while Music123 was clearing out their Fullerton stock. I got two ST4 "Fat Fullies" for $27 each, delivered. Just insane. Later sold one on eBay and upgraded the other and still play it often, since it's the only HSS type I own. You can read about the feeding frenzy in THIS (http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=2957) old thread....

Fiddlesticks! I can see why my friend recommended the Fullerton, that deal is simply a steal! All I see are positive comments in that thread so no wonder people are not parting with them. lol

As with buying anything that you dont know much about, once again start at the price you are willing to spend, then do a search online for guitars in your range and then compare features and whats important to you.

But as I type this, I cant help but think of Rondo guitars for you...they are heavy on features for very lil dough.

And seriously, check out Craigslist, but itd be a good idea if you did test drive some guitars/amps in your price range beforehand...something WILL speak to you.

That's some good advice. So far I've looked at ebay, music123, as well as craigslist/kijiji yet not many good stuff are showing up in my region. (Toronto, Ontario) I'm also really digging the stuff at Rondo Music too. Yikes, so much stuff to take in at once. :confused:

KenJ, if you are sure (or as sure as one can be) that you are going to stick with it, give some thought to your purchase. If you feel you are going to stick with it and you go too cheap, it will only be a guitar that sits in the corner.

Cheap guitars are toys and only discourage your playing, however inexpensive guitars are deals and can bring you a lot of pleasure. If you haven't purchased one yet, I suggest you try different ones out and see what you like. When you do, be sure to plug them into an amp that you will most likely be buying. Don't make the mistake of plugging into a $1,000+ amp and then walking out the store with a Fender amp that you can fit in your pocket.

Write down everything you try and then come back here and bounce it off the good folks here. And if you want bang for the buck, buy used and stretch your dollar.

Oh sorry - Welcome

I agree with you 100% with avoiding the dirt cheap route, but being unemployed and depending on whatever lunch money I saved , I'm really digging the $100 starter packs from Squire and Rondo music. And I will definately compile that list and post it here soon. Hopefully that will help :D

just strum
August 2nd, 2008, 04:49 PM
I agree with you 100% with avoiding the dirt cheap route, but being unemployed and depending on whatever lunch money I saved , I'm really digging the $100 starter packs from Squire and Rondo music. And I will definately compile that list and post it here soon. Hopefully that will help :D

Just remember there is a difference between cheap and inexpensive (don't rule out used). Right now the objective is to learn to play, looking cool for the ladies can come down the road.

Brian Krashpad
August 2nd, 2008, 05:18 PM
Welcome to TheFret, Kenj!:D Glad you joined us here. Can't help you w/ the Fully, but there are lots of good quality instruments out there.... (Squier, Douglas, Agile, SX, etc.), and I'm sure lots more will chime in soon with more.

And you're right....
(girls do love it, btw)

+1 on the above brands! SX/Agile are available on ebay and direct here:

http://www.rondomusic.com

You're lucky to be starting out now-- lots of perfectly playable guitars for very little dosh-- back in the day you had to suffer with real crap until you could save up a considerable amount. I've got a batch of guitars I bought for around $100 each.

Another one not mentioned above is a used USA Peavey Predator Strat, since you were talking about Fullies. I got mine for $100 on ebay (note that there are later Predator imports-- as cheap as the '90's USA's are, might as well get USA):

http://static.flickr.com/62/188512407_8a37548044_o.jpg

Welcome Ken!

scgmhawk
August 3rd, 2008, 10:20 AM
Welcome. Check out http://http://store.guitarfetish.com/ (http://store.guitarfetish.com/). A little bit more than you're looking to spend but fits into the "inexpensive" rather than "cheap" category. Good luck with the search.

mrmudcat
August 3rd, 2008, 12:57 PM
Welcome!

F_BSurfer
August 3rd, 2008, 06:33 PM
I came across this Fullerton ST001 at Amazon here is the link and hey welcome aboard
http://www.amazon.com/Fullerton-FST-001SR-Electric-Guitar-Transparent/dp/B000R3AR3U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=musical-instruments&qid=1217809301&sr=1-1

Spudman
August 3rd, 2008, 11:49 PM
Welcome Kenj. :wave:

sunvalleylaw
August 3rd, 2008, 11:50 PM
Welcome Kenj!

Kenj
August 4th, 2008, 07:29 PM
Good to feel at home with all these warm welcoming. :) Anyways, I've done some hardcore testing and researching during the past few days and I decided on a few models. Most notably the following... They come with everything to save myself a headache.

SX EG1K 3TS Guitar Pack
Squier SE-100 Starter Pack

But, I'm holding out for now and looking around for a good used deal. Will be on the lookout on ebay and craigslist to name a few. Will give myself a few days and if nothing shows up, probably hit the deck and get the packs.

Just remember there is a difference between cheap and inexpensive (don't rule out used). Right now the objective is to learn to play, looking cool for the ladies can come down the road.

Think I can draw the line between cheap and inexpensive right about now, and girls definitely detest cheap so there's no point heading that path.:D

+1 on the above brands! SX/Agile are available on ebay and direct here:

http://www.rondomusic.com

You're lucky to be starting out now-- lots of perfectly playable guitars for very little dosh-- back in the day you had to suffer with real crap until you could save up a considerable amount. I've got a batch of guitars I bought for around $100 each.

Another one not mentioned above is a used USA Peavey Predator Strat, since you were talking about Fullies. I got mine for $100 on ebay (note that there are later Predator imports-- as cheap as the '90's USA's are, might as well get USA):

http://static.flickr.com/62/188512407_8a37548044_o.jpg

Hey dude, I looked up on the Peavey's and they seem really good quality/price wise. But the thing is those quality vintage guitars don't seem to fall in value and they end up as collectors items from what I see. I would definitely head that path if I get lucky.

I came across this Fullerton ST001 at Amazon here is the link and hey welcome aboard
http://www.amazon.com/Fullerton-FST-...7809301&sr=1-1
Awesome thanks! I'll consider this along with the plethora of other guitars.:confused:

Katastrophe
August 4th, 2008, 08:03 PM
I'm a little late, but welcome!

There are so many decent guitars available at a low prices these days, which is much better than when I started out.

If I were starting out again, I'd seriously take a look at the SX guitar line from Rondo. Keep in mind that less expensive guitars (and some expensive ones, for that matter) need a good setup in order to play properly. One of the ways lesser expensive guitar companies cut corners is on quality control.

It's all good though. There are plenty of posts on how to do it yourself, and it's a good learning experience.

Get a decent amp. Something like an Epiphone Valve Junior is a great choice, and it's easy to use. Just turn it on and crank the volume knob. Those little monsters get plenty loud, and have good tone. The amp's tone can be augmented very easily with pedals, which can be inexpensive.

This all costs a bit more than your initial budget, but it's worth it, IMO. Also, you'll have a good rig that you won't soon outgrow, that's flexible enough to expand / modify if you catch that bug as well.

Good luck in your search, and have fun with whatever you choose!

peachhead
August 4th, 2008, 08:36 PM
Good luck in your search and welcome!

Ch0jin
August 5th, 2008, 02:02 AM
Welcome!

(oh and I'll let you in on a secret... Guitar players don't get the girls, it's those singers that get all the girls, if you want to double your chances, learn to sing as you learn to play. You can thank me in a year or so)

king_petrucci
August 8th, 2008, 05:36 AM
Hey welcome Kenj.

Im a newbie too.

My first guitar was a squier fat strat (with the humbucker in the bridge)
They are unbeatable on price and so versatile. I would definately go that way. Ya cant go wrong with fender.

But i would also have to recommend Ibanez. A bit more pricey but great for the heavier music :rockon: :rockon:

t_ross33
August 8th, 2008, 08:48 AM
Welcome!

(oh and I'll let you in on a secret... Guitar players don't get the girls, it's those singers that get all the girls, if you want to double your chances, learn to sing as you learn to play. You can thank me in a year or so)

And drummers get the "friend with the great personality" :rotflmao:

Hey, it's all rock and roll from here on in... but if you really want to impress, grab an acoustic, sing an nice ballad and she (or they as the case(s) may be) will be putty in your hands ;)

Worked for me - 15 year anniversary a couple weeks ago :AOK:

Welcome to the road :dude:

ShootTheGlass
August 8th, 2008, 02:24 PM
Thats true. Blasting out downtuned riffs from the likes of Sevendust seems quite useless in the pulling stakes.