PDA

View Full Version : Guitar stands messing up nitro

M29
August 1st, 2008, 06:27 PM
Hello,

I have a couple standard inexpensive guitar stands and one is reacting with the nitro lacquer finish on the neck of my guitar. Have you guys had any trouble like this? Do you know of a safe rubber or other material to use on the stand contact points, may something I can replace mine with?

Thank you for your time and help.

M29

marnold
August 1st, 2008, 06:37 PM
I've heard of that happening before. A simple solution would be to cover the offending points with an old towel, tube sock, or something.

sumitomo
August 1st, 2008, 06:54 PM
I use the stands that dont even touch the neck.They are only about 20 bucks.Sumi:D

just strum
August 1st, 2008, 07:10 PM
A friend of mine replaces all the tubing on his with surgical tubing. He doesn't have a problem and based on its designed use, it shouldn't be a problem.

M29
August 1st, 2008, 07:44 PM
Thanks all!

Great ideas. This is actually my sons stand and he will be going off for his second year at college and I was afraid he might forget to lay a towel or t shirt on it and end up messing up the nice nitro finish I put on for him.

Keep on pickin:rockon:

M29

Dauntless
August 2nd, 2008, 06:04 AM
There's always leather. :beavisnbutthead:

duhvoodooman
August 2nd, 2008, 08:43 AM
Yup, this is apparently a pretty well-known phenomenon. Seems incredible to me that anyone would make guitar stands with padding materials that are known to attack the finish used on the most expensive guitars, but seemingly that's the case! The surgical tubing replacement solution sounds like a great one!

wingsdad
August 2nd, 2008, 07:41 PM
I cover the rubber by wrapping adhesive felt around it. I get it at places like Home Depot or Lowes in packs of like 3 or sheets 6" wide x about 14", and cut pieces to fit. It's with the stuff like those little felt or cork dots. Sheets like this are for lining the bottom of lamps, etc.

just strum
August 2nd, 2008, 07:47 PM
I cover the rubber by wrapping adhesive felt around it. I get it at places like Home Depot or Lowes in packs of like 3 or sheets 6" wide x about 14", and cut pieces to fit. It's with the stuff like those little felt or cork dots. Sheets like this are for lining the bottom of lamps, etc.

Hey, that's a good idea. I was thinking of spraying the tubing with adhesive and wrapping flannel around it, but your idea takes the mess out of it. Does that stuff hold up (the adhesive side)?

peachhead
August 2nd, 2008, 07:49 PM
There's always leather. :beavisnbutthead:

Haven't I read somewhere about leather straps causing an issue with nitro finishes? Or am I just making it up?
I don't have anything with that kind of finish so it's just a curious question at this stage....

wingsdad
August 2nd, 2008, 07:55 PM
Does that stuff hold up (the adhesive side)?

Not forever. Maybe a year or so, and the edges start to peel up. When it goes I just peel it off and put a new piece on. If I need a cheap buzz, I'll take it out to the garage, close all the windows and spray way more than enuff new adhesive on it. ;)