PDA

View Full Version : Best Buy

evenkeel
August 2nd, 2008, 03:11 PM
Heard that the consumer electronics, big box store Best Buy will be sellling music instruments. Note the following from a Best Buy press release.

MINNEAPOLIS, July 29, 2008 – Best Buy, the nation’s leading consumer electronics retailer, today announced that it will begin offering musical instruments and musical recording equipment at an additional 75-85 Best Buy stores across the U.S. and online at www.BestBuy.com. The diverse musical instrument and recording line-up will include more than 1,000 guitars, bass, drums, keyboards and recording equipment, as well as other musical instruments and accessories, all available at entry level and professional price points.

Some how this does not seem a really good thing!! :eek:

luvmyshiner
August 2nd, 2008, 04:05 PM
Just one more thing their salespeople will no absolutely nothing about Keel.

Katastrophe
August 2nd, 2008, 04:12 PM
Some how this does not seem a really good thing!! :eek:

You're right. Just another squad of salespeople who don't play and won't know anything about what they're selling. That'll be great for the mom or dad buying their kid their first guitar. :thwap:

I predict a sales line, at some point will be. "With this amph you get screamin' solos."

just strum
August 2nd, 2008, 04:35 PM
Another dagger into mom and pop. No character, sterile shopping, just what we need.

On the bright side, maybe it will put GC out of business.

R_of_G
August 3rd, 2008, 06:28 AM
I don't see this as a bad thing at all. The more places musical instruments are available the better as it encourages more and more people to play.

As far as the knowledgeability of the salespeople, I agree that Best Buy employees may not be the most knowledgeable, but if a buyer needs some expert advice, perhaps Best Buy is not the place they should be shopping for their instruments in the first place.

On the other hand, for someone that doesn't need any advice, it could provide an affordable option. More options for where to buy should result in more competitive pricing.

Personally, I'm always happy to know there are more places encouraging people to buy real instruments as opposed to video games with faux instruments.

just strum
August 3rd, 2008, 06:33 AM
R_of_G makes some good points, although I'm not really sold on the idea. However, it does bring instruments to an expanded market and therefore, more impulse buying - that will lead to more used guitar deals found in the newspapers, estate sales, garage sales,... and that = EVEN BETTER DEALS FOR US!!!:bravo:

warren0728
August 3rd, 2008, 07:13 AM
owever, it does bring instruments to an expanded market and therefore, more impulse buying - that will lead to more used guitar deals found in the newspapers, estate sales, garage sales,... and that = EVEN BETTER DEALS FOR US!!!:bravo:
i like the way you think! :beer:

ww

R_of_G
August 3rd, 2008, 09:06 AM
...more impulse buying - that will lead to more used guitar deals found in the newspapers, estate sales, garage sales,... and that = EVEN BETTER DEALS FOR US!!!:bravo:

I hadn't even thought of that aspect of it, but you make an excellent point there Strum!

Spudman
August 4th, 2008, 12:09 AM
- that will lead to more used guitar deals found in the newspapers, estate sales, garage sales,... and that = EVEN BETTER DEALS FOR US!!!:bravo:

Do you really think Best Buy will be selling $1,000 plus guitars? Those at 75% off are really the only sensible DEAL for us. Hear that kids? Tell your mom and dad that you only want top of the line.

wingsdad
August 4th, 2008, 08:28 AM
Not news here in SoCal.

I bought my Yamaha PSR620 keyboard there 12 years ago, and they still have Yam and Casio.

For top-of-the-line guitars between 100-200 bucks, they started with Lyon electric guitars (US Music's lowest-priced line after Washburn & Oscar Schmidt) on the shelves here 2 years ago, and replaced them last year with Gibson....DOH!....Maestro by Gibson -- Epiphone clones, if you will. A nice piece of postioning product with their Gibson Guitar Hero. Then they got Fender ...DOH! Starcaster by Fender...pedals.

I guess GC & MF don't provide enough market share for Gibby & Fender.

Guitars & Pedals at Best Buy (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=abcat0207003&type=category)

It's M-Audio for computer recording.

And for a few years now, you can always got to Wal*Mart, Target or Toys R' Us for a nice FirstAct axe....

R_of_G
August 4th, 2008, 08:44 AM
...It's M-Audio for computer recording.

My local Best Buy has also been selling instruments and equipment for awhile already. It is where I purchased my M-Audio FastTrack (a purchase with which I am still very satisfied).