PDA

View Full Version : Resonators--Help Jipes!

tot_Ou_tard
August 2nd, 2008, 08:08 PM
I'm learning to play fingerstyle country blues with an eye to learning slide/bottleneck guitar.

The reviews on these metal resonators are pretty good

http://www.republicguitars.com/home.html

Here is their new parlor-sized resonator:

NEhn7Ih_A6c

I don't have the money for one now, but I don't know how to start thinking about this style of guitar.

What are the attributes of the various types of resonators metal bodied, wood bodied, single cone, tri-cone, biscuit this or that, spiderman...?!?

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

piebaldpython
October 26th, 2008, 07:16 AM
What are the attributes of the various types of resonators metal bodied, wood bodied, single cone, tri-cone, biscuit this or that, spiderman...?!?

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

TOT.........don't know how I missed this thread.......but.....briefly........the BODY of resos give the following (as a general rule).....WOOD is mellower, softer, so think bluegrass music.....METAL is more urgent and to the point; think old-timey blues.

As to the "echo" chambers that produce the sound....going from mellow (and most sustain) to "harshest" (least sustain) would be single cone spider bridge......to a tricone.......and lastly to single cone biscuit.

You can mix and match bodies and cones and what I wrote above is only a GENERALIZATION. Meaing that somebody could play bluegrass using a metal body biscuit reso.

Ah, here you go, I found the AUTHORITY info for resos, their bodies and cones: http://www.bobbrozman.com/national.html

If you have specific questions, feel free to ask and we''ll s

markb
October 26th, 2008, 02:46 PM
Why not help out the Kiwi economy and buy one of these. Start saving :)

http://www.beltona.net/southerner.htm

Jipes
December 23rd, 2008, 04:28 AM
I'm sorry Tot I missed that thread :thwap:

tot_Ou_tard
December 23rd, 2008, 05:15 AM
No problem.

I should'a shown the Jipes Sign on the moon so you could see it from France.

Si tu jamais voir ca sur la lune, alors tu devrais sauter dans ton Jipes-mobile pour sauver The Fret entiere!

Jipes
December 23rd, 2008, 06:19 AM
No problem.

I should'a shown the Jipes Sign on the moon so you could see it from France.

Si tu jamais voir ca sur la lune, alors tu devrais sauter dans ton Jipes-mobile pour sauver The Fret entiere!

:master: :bravo: :AOK: You gave me a great laugh Tot Thanks a lot ;)

bek
December 26th, 2008, 02:53 PM
Hey, tot, I replied to your 7-months' old thread about Industrials. Sorry, I got lost.

jpfeifer
January 3rd, 2009, 06:13 PM
Hey Tot,

We must be on the same wavelength or something. We both like Jazz guitars alot, and I've had the itch to get a resonator for a while now.

I really like the sound of them. Someday I want to get one.

Are you thinking of getting a roundneck or squareneck?
I'm thinking of a roundneck so that I can use it for slide or play it fingerstyle also.

I've played a few of these at GuitarCenter and really liked them:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Dobro-Hound-Dog-Acoustic-Deluxe-Round-Neck-Dobro-Guitar-104792841-i1322203.gc

-- Jim

tot_Ou_tard
January 4th, 2009, 08:38 AM
Are you thinking of getting a roundneck or squareneck?
I'm thinking of a roundneck so that I can use it for slide or play it fingerstyle also.

I've played a few of these at GuitarCenter and really liked them:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Dobro-Hound-Dog-Acoustic-Deluxe-Round-Neck-Dobro-Guitar-104792841-i1322203.gc

-- Jim
There is something about the sound of them that blows wind up my soul.

It would be a roundneck for me as well, so I could play it fingerstyle or slide.

That Hound Dog does look sweet.

jpfeifer
January 4th, 2009, 10:25 AM
I started looking into resonators after taking one for a test drive at Guitar Center one day. I could hardly put it down. It was one of the more expensive Hound Dog Dobros that I tried. I was impressed how good they sounded overall. I really liked the way they sound as a rhythm guitar as well as for finger picked things.

I started looking into them on the internet and found that you can buy a special nut that you place over the existing one for doing the traditional bluegrass Dobro slide stuff. (then you can just take it off if you want to play it like a regular guitar) However, most of the serious Bluegrass Dobro players are using square neck Dobros since you can tune those into the open G tuning (they seem to like the tighter string tension or something). But even still, I think that I'd rather get a round neck Dobro since it's more versatile overall.

-- Jim

Steve206
January 4th, 2009, 02:36 PM
Hey there Tot,,,

This happened to me: Like a lot of you, I wanted to find out if the mojo would somehow crawl up my arms. I ordered a rogue, metal body, biscuit bridge[?] from MF and kept it for about a week and a half. Like paying fifty bucks to try on a pair of shoes that don't fit.

The fever abated for a while and then while cruising the Bay, something that I no longer allow myself to do, I found a Johnson metal body tri-cone at a decent price.

Let us just say that I have learned an awful lot about the guitar and how hard it is to find qualified help. My advice is to hold it for a while, maybe even take it home for a couple of days, before you buy.

Steve

tjcurtin1
January 4th, 2009, 07:24 PM
Hey there Tot,,,

This happened to me: Like a lot of you, I wanted to find out if the mojo would somehow crawl up my arms. I ordered a rogue, metal body, biscuit bridge[?] from MF and kept it for about a week and a half. Like paying fifty bucks to try on a pair of shoes that don't fit.

The fever abated for a while and then while cruising the Bay, something that I no longer allow myself to do, I found a Johnson metal body tri-cone at a decent price.

Let us just say that I have learned an awful lot about the guitar and how hard it is to find qualified help. My advice is to hold it for a while, maybe even take it home for a couple of days, before you buy.

Steve
Ah.. a sad but familiar cautionary tale... I'm glad you posted this before I got over-excited and jumped off a cliff, so to speak. I'll definitely have to do more hands-on research, but it seems hard to find a variety of resonators to try out. I hate traveling all over the country trying to scare up prospects, which slowly pushes me towards the , "Oh, just buy one, it'll probably be good."

tot_Ou_tard
January 4th, 2009, 07:33 PM
Steve,

Mojo hand

http://www.drbobart.net/images/Common/aniMojoHand.gif

crawling like a SPIDER up the arm.

Watch out for stray mojo Warren!

Ah.. a sad but familiar cautionary tale... I'm glad you posted this before I got over-excited and jumped off a cliff, so to speak. I'll definitely have to do more hands-on research, but it seems hard to find a variety of resonators to try out. I hate traveling all over the country trying to scare up prospects, which slowly pushes me towards the , "Oh, just buy one, it'll probably be good." & as I've mentioned elsewhere, perhaps after Jan 11 you'll have added incentive to just give it a try. ;)

tjcurtin1
January 4th, 2009, 10:49 PM
& as I've mentioned elsewhere, perhaps after Jan 11 you'll have added incentive to just give it a try. ;)
That'd surely do it!

Jipes
January 5th, 2009, 05:21 AM
BTW the other day I stumbled on an excellent video to get an idea on what type of resonator would suit you the best

RrD129nzis8

mrmudcat
January 5th, 2009, 05:32 AM
Well to me/for me its the National Duolian.

After that a single cone biscuit!

Unlike the asion pimped out Dobro name:thwap:(I think there are still some (US made hound dogs for clarification of above comment)

National is still putting out some nice rides albeit a lil steep for beggining probably :poke:

http://www.nationalguitars.com/

tjcurtin1
January 5th, 2009, 06:59 PM
Thanks, for posting that, Jipes - really helpful!

Steve206
January 5th, 2009, 09:30 PM
Great post Jipes,,,

I wish I had the chance to hear that stuff a long time ago. Not that it would have helped much, seemed like each guitar sounded pretty good.

Thanks,,

Steve

Jipes
January 6th, 2009, 04:14 AM
Thanky TJ Curtin :AOK: Yes Steve I agree they all sounds great but I realize that it's hard to make a difference if you're not familiar with those guitars but I can assure you that they really sounds completely different ;)

I had the chance to visit Mike Lewis Workshop in Paris which is the builder of Fine Resophonic instruments (http://www.fineresophonic.com/) and from a Tricone to a Duolian the dynamic and the sound range is amazingly different :AOK:

And of course not talking of the sonic differences between wood bodies and Metal bodies :rotflmao:

tot_Ou_tard
January 6th, 2009, 04:14 AM
I'm with Muddy, of those I liked the National Duolian best folled by the Triolian.

Was there only one wood-bodied resonator in the mix, or did I miss some?

Jipes
January 6th, 2009, 04:24 AM
I'm with Muddy, of those I liked the National Duolian best folled by the Triolian.

Was there only one wood-bodied resonator in the mix, or did I miss some?

I also loved the National N ;) and yes I think you're right only one wood-body guitar but one has to be careful some Triolian are in fact wood-bodies