PDA

View Full Version : Concert for George

evenkeel
August 3rd, 2008, 07:46 AM
Watched the "Concert for George" recently. Great stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FC1EZcrZEIs

Ringo has goofy (in a good way) as ever, but the lyrics are so poignant.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oM2FBxb7x24&feature=related

stingx
August 3rd, 2008, 07:52 AM
The Concert for George quickly became one of my favorite DVDs in my collection. I think it is one of the best tributes/sendoffs for a friend anyone could ever hope to have. I don't normally like to show emotion but I came close to getting misty when Ringo sang Photograph and then even more so when All Things Must Pass was performed. What really did me in good was Joe Brown closing it out with I'll See You In My Dreams. Tito get me a tissue...

just strum
August 3rd, 2008, 07:53 AM
Looking at his son just brings back fond memory of the early to mid 60's when the Beatles were everywhere and everything when it came to my musical world.

When my time comes, I would like all of you to get together and do a tribute for the guy you never met, but through this forum got to know.

just strum
August 3rd, 2008, 08:01 AM
If I may, I would like to add another.

RwKTXyF_6B8&feature=related

stingx
August 3rd, 2008, 08:10 AM
Yeah, Strum. That one tugs at the heartstrings too...

stingx
August 3rd, 2008, 08:13 AM
Strum be honest now. Doesn't it look like if you grabbed Jeff Lynne's hat his hair will come off with it? :rotflmao:

Gil Janus
August 3rd, 2008, 08:22 AM
Strum be honest now. Doesn't it look like if you grabbed Jeff Lynne's hat his hair will come off with it? :rotflmao:

You mean it doesn't come off :rolleyes:

And yes, the Concert for George is my favorite music DVD - they did a fine job with gathering his friends together to celebrate his life and music. I choke up with more than one of those tunes.

Gil :cool:

just strum
August 3rd, 2008, 08:32 AM

Your right, I gotta get me one of those hats. A lot of hats being worn by the older generation (my generation) these days.

Another side note: Clapton's voice really fits Harrison's songs.

dan P
August 3rd, 2008, 07:11 PM
Hi, is anyone near or living in Branson Missouri? George's sister Louise has the starlite there and is showing a beatle's collection as well as having " liverpool" the beatles review group play there...I have been wanting to make the drive and see... concert for george= great music !

Spudman
August 3rd, 2008, 11:47 PM
We do love George (http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=4936&highlight=Concert+for+George). Watching the DVD gives me chills and then I cry. Strange.:confused: ;)

Guitar-Chris
August 4th, 2008, 01:34 AM
Watched the "Concert for George" recently. Great stuff.

When I saw the concert for the first time, I zapped in a broadcasting of the german television program "3Sat".

I recognized them all: Eric Clapton, Jeff Lynn, Ringo Starr, Tom Petty...

But who was the young man in the white shirt? He is so young, he couldn't be one of George's fellows..... Believe it or not, it took me about half an hour to see that the young man looks a lot like the man on the big fotograph hanging on the stage. I felt so ashamed....

But it was really a great heart touching concert.

F_BSurfer
August 4th, 2008, 04:36 AM
Great DVD I have almost wore mine out such a good tribute to a good person and musician

dan P
August 5th, 2008, 05:37 PM
Gee, its nice to have a pc that actually works! Just Strum did you receive the letter jpeg from me? Saw a poster this morning on our PriceChppper ( grocery store) window that confirms what I read, Louise Harrison will actually greet you after the liverpool concert( in Branson) ..gotta go see and meet and have my pic taken with her !!! Just tooo cool :bravo:

just strum
August 5th, 2008, 05:48 PM
Gee, its nice to have a pc that actually works! Just Strum did you receive the letter jpeg from me? Saw a poster this morning on our PriceChppper ( grocery store) window that confirms what I read, Louise Harrison will actually greet you after the liverpool concert( in Branson) ..gotta go see and meet and have my pic taken with her !!! Just tooo cool :bravo:

Yep, I got it. Interesting, what else do you know about it?

dan P
August 5th, 2008, 06:00 PM
Searched for Judy felger, did not get any hits that made sense, the letter is dated nov.67 on the envelope, the time line is there too, they were in studio recording exactly at that time, what the big question is, is this the mother of George or Sis, as both are named Louise, and the biggest kick of the whole thing is louise's signature, I have a old poster that has silkscreened signatures of the beatles and the harrison is almost identical to louise's, I really dont know what to think, thats reason enough for me to take a 3 hour ride ! If I can get her to look at it...we can get to the bottom......

just strum
August 5th, 2008, 06:03 PM
Searched for Judy felger, did not get any hits that made sense, the letter is dated nov.67 on the envelope, the time line is there too, they were in studio recording exactly at that time, what the big question is, is this the mother of George or Sis, as both are named Louise, and the biggest kick of the whole thing is louise's signature, I have a old poster that has silkscreened signatures of the beatles and the harrison is almost identical to louise's, I really dont know what to think, thats reason enough for me to take a 3 hour ride ! If I can get her to look at it...we can get to the bottom......

Is what you have the original or copy? If original, I hope you are not taking that with you.

dan P
August 5th, 2008, 06:08 PM
no copy, real thing...its 40 years old.!

dan P
August 5th, 2008, 06:09 PM
which is...16 years younger than me..so its not THAT old..

just strum
August 5th, 2008, 06:11 PM
no copy, real thing...its 40 years old.!

Well, I wouldn't take it with me, I would take a copy. What are your plans?

dan P
August 5th, 2008, 06:20 PM
never even pondered that, good call though, easy enough to copy ... I want her to look at it and give me the low down....

dan P
August 5th, 2008, 06:22 PM
What I dont know is, why the signatures look so much alike( to Georges) and if this is her mother or her...may just be the way the family writes...it looks like she was signing his autographs in the fan mail but I found a recent website with a link to a email address and phone number for the starlite, I called her, and left her a voice mail message, was cool enough just to hear her, and also sent her a email with a jeg of the letter, so hopefully I will have an answer to all these questions soon...I will ad a pic of the letter in my pics today, if ya all want to look... Im going to play( our sat jam ) in about 20 minutes and have to resize.... will attemp this afternoon...Dan..:rockon:

hagarfreak33
August 11th, 2008, 10:11 PM
Great dvd:bravo: Thanks for posting the clips-

jpfeifer
August 12th, 2008, 09:57 AM
This concert DVD is my all time favorite. It's kind of a wake for George Harrison with all of his friends playing his music. This is the best tribute they could have done for him, and there are some really great performances.

-- Jim

dan P
August 17th, 2008, 09:42 AM
Update..2 Believe it or not I received a reply from Louise..or Lou as she is called, she will be back in Branson at the end of August and asked me to email her again, as she was not on her pc ..I have posted a pic of the letter in my profile, if anyone wants a look....in the email from her she states that the letter is most likely from her mother...so off to Branson I'm going ! :bravo:

Jimi75
August 18th, 2008, 03:40 PM
I have to get the DVD soon - had it in my hands a couple of times but then lay it back and bought something else. The clip was really wonderful and convinced me of the fact that this DVD is a must have.

dan P
August 19th, 2008, 07:36 PM
There are so many great songs on it, not only just as a tribute to George, but the talent playing them is outstanding to say the least...taxman is my favorite..

stingx
August 19th, 2008, 07:47 PM
I just spun a few tunes a little while ago. I can't help but get a bit misty when I watch some of the performances. The whole concert is poignant beyond belief.