PDA

View Full Version : Old School Marshall tone on a budget?

Robert
August 4th, 2008, 09:31 AM
I've been looking for a Marshall amp, or an amp that nails that old school Marshall tone. Think Bonamassa and his Jubilee, or Jimi Hendrix, or Angus Young - you get the idea. Good crunch that cleans up well.

I'd like to get close to that tone without spending 2 grand. Any suggestions?

I've checked out clips of David Bray amps, Voodoo amps, Marshalls, Splawn, Engl, Germino, Reeves, plus a bunch more I can't remember.

I've never heard a Sovtek MIG-50.

I'd like it to be a reliable amp of course as well.

M29
August 4th, 2008, 09:49 AM
I love Tone's Jubilee, I don't know what they run money wise but I would keep one of them at the top of the list.

Maybe a 45 watt Marshall would do it.

M29

LagrangeCalvert
August 4th, 2008, 09:52 AM
peavey windsor is a great marshall type amp...... Its more than comparable to the JCM 800. If your wanting Plexi, your on your own.

Tone2TheBone
August 4th, 2008, 10:11 AM
You wanna play you gotta pay dude. :) You only live once. Get that Jubilee.

Ch0jin
August 5th, 2008, 02:07 AM
Considered a replica?

http://www.ceriatone.com/

I haven't bought one, because frankly I need another big amp like I need a hole in the head, but I've been seriously considering getting one of his Plexi or JCM800 clones anyway. Plenty of reviews online if you feel like looking further.

Robert
August 5th, 2008, 08:12 AM
Wow, those are pretty cheap! Wonder how good they are? Reliability?

Considered a replica?

http://www.ceriatone.com/

I haven't bought one, because frankly I need another big amp like I need a hole in the head, but I've been seriously considering getting one of his Plexi or JCM800 clones anyway. Plenty of reviews online if you feel like looking further.

Tone2TheBone
August 5th, 2008, 08:41 AM
Those are killer prices. Get one of those Plexi clones and get Voodoo to put it together for you. Some of the youtube clips sound really good. This mod on this amp for a master volume sounds damn good actually.

ePi_GvBo36Q&feature=related

Robert
August 5th, 2008, 10:27 AM
Sounds good. The cleans sound like my Heatseeker. This amp has a bit more crunch than my Heatseeker, but I would like even more than that. Maybe the 1987 Lead would suit me better. I need more demos.

SuperSwede
August 5th, 2008, 11:24 AM
I´ve played a lot on JCM 800 heads and combos.. those amps usually covers most 60´s to 80´s Marshall tones..

hubberjub
August 5th, 2008, 02:30 PM
The Ceriatones are supposed to be great. I have never heard a bad thing about them and everyone speaks highly of the owner Nik. As far as the Sovtek goes, I had a friend that used to gig with a MIG 50. It was a great amp with that early Bassman/Bluesbreaker vibe. He did have the power transformer go after about a year and a half. It was being gigged pretty heavily though.

F_BSurfer
August 5th, 2008, 03:36 PM
You could go to 18 watt.com and get plenty reviews and clips on the Ceriatones you can get them completly built from him

Robert
August 5th, 2008, 03:48 PM
I can see a Ceriatone in my future. They aren't that expensive.

TS808
August 5th, 2008, 06:01 PM
Robert...this guy builds an awesome amp from a Weber kit...VERY reasonably priced, and good quality...I bought my 18-watt from him,,

www.sligoamps.com

I had the amp in 2 weeks.

Tone2TheBone
August 5th, 2008, 08:44 PM
From the Sligo Amp website -

"Super Lead - 100 Watts
I SOLD ONE OF THESE TWO A EAGLE GUY YUO GUESS WHOE ( HES BOUGHT AMPS FROM EVERYONE SO I GUESS IM JUST ONE OF MANY ) GREAT AMP AND A GREAT PRICE EXACT LAYOUT AS THE ORGINAL EARL 100 WATT HEADS BCOMES WITH MATERVOLUME IF YOU WANT AND OF COURSE THE MERCURY UPGRADES ARE A OPTION KT66 , OR EL34 YOURE CHOICE TWO YEAR WARRANTY"

Bet it sounds better than it's typed! :D ;)

marnold
August 5th, 2008, 09:49 PM
But what about the screaming solos?

ShortBuSX
August 11th, 2008, 12:44 PM
http://www.tdpri.com/phpclassifieds/showproduct.php?product=9300&cat=22

Robert
August 11th, 2008, 01:04 PM
Thanks Shortbux, however I am looking for a head, and I'm in no hurry to get one. Just investigating the topic! I will try and find one in Canada, so I don't have to pay stupid shipping and taxes.

tot_Ou_tard
August 11th, 2008, 06:46 PM
What's a Marshall? :D

Bloozcat
August 12th, 2008, 06:58 AM
Nik at Ceriatone has a great reputation among the 18 watt builder crowd. His prices are great, but the shipping is pretty high considering that the amps come from Indonesia. Still, even with the shipping cost, they're a better deal than most. And the good thing about Ceriatone, is that you can buy an amp in various stages of completion depending on your needs, budget, and expertise (or lack thereof) in amp building.

I'm considering one down the road myself. Probably an EL84 based 18 watt, although I'm also intrigued by the 6V6, 20 watt "The Beast" design I've seen and heard over at 18watt.com. It has a little more of a Plexi grind than the EL84 based design, I think.

Robert
August 12th, 2008, 07:40 AM
I think I still want a Marshall though.

Spudman
August 12th, 2008, 07:41 AM

You're fired.:spank:

sunvalleylaw
August 12th, 2008, 07:48 AM

Kinda like a Sheriff, but different. ;)

Lev
August 12th, 2008, 07:52 AM
Marshall + Budget =

http://images.ciao.com/iuk/images/products/normal/084/product-48084.jpg

:D

Robert
August 12th, 2008, 08:13 AM
I think I will just keep my eyes peeled on the Canadian craigslist, ebay, etc and see what comes my way one day. I am in no hurry. If I find a Ceriatone or similar locally at a good price, I'll snag it! Or if it's a JMP 50 or similar, I would jump on it. I would look so soooo cool with a REAL Marshall, dontcha think? :D

marnold
August 12th, 2008, 08:59 AM
<Jan Brady>Marshall, Marshall, Marshall!</Jan Brady>

sumitomo
August 12th, 2008, 12:05 PM
Nik at Ceriatone has a great reputation among the 18 watt builder crowd. His prices are great, but the shipping is pretty high considering that the amps come from Indonesia. Still, even with the shipping cost, they're a better deal than most. And the good thing about Ceriatone, is that you can buy an amp in various stages of completion depending on your needs, budget, and expertise (or lack thereof) in amp building.

I'm considering one down the road myself. Probably an EL84 based 18 watt, although I'm also intrigued by the 6V6, 20 watt "The Beast" design I've seen and heard over at 18watt.com. It has a little more of a Plexi grind than the EL84 based design, I think.

You can buy them without transformers,tubes and save some and use Heyboarer and some others from here.Sumi:D

mechanic
August 12th, 2008, 03:12 PM
Morris amplifiers could hook you up with whichever Marshall tone you are looking for.
He's in Canada (Ontario)
Google his name and check out his web site, I can't remember off the top of my head the type of prices,but he makes GREAT amps.
Eric

Robert
August 12th, 2008, 03:32 PM
Ouch, Morris amp, single channel 100 watt head is $2,500...
The dual channel XS III is 4 grand... :(

mechanic
August 12th, 2008, 04:00 PM
Ouch, Morris amp, single channel 100 watt head is $2,500...
The dual channel XS III is 4 grand... :(
Yeah, sorry about the pricing.I haven't been on his web site in quite a while.
Apparently the prices have gone up some since I was there last.
I have played thru one of his amps though, he lives in my town ( I see his wife walking their Greyhound dog almost every day)
Fantastic tone out of his amps.
He's done alot of custom builds for some well known bands as well.:master:
Eric

Robert
August 12th, 2008, 04:42 PM
For 4 grand, I'd rather by a real vintage Marshall! That's just too much for normal being for a new amp.

Algonquin
August 12th, 2008, 05:04 PM
<Jan Brady>Marshall, Marshall, Marshall!</Jan Brady>
:master: :bravo: :master: :bravo: :master:

mechanic
August 12th, 2008, 06:08 PM
For 4 grand, I'd rather by a real vintage Marshall! That's just too much for normal being for a new amp.
Yeah Robert, I'd tend to agree there.
I didn't realize they were that much. My bad.:thwap:

Tone2TheBone
August 12th, 2008, 06:16 PM
I think I still want a Marshall though.

...yeah ya do!

Why can't you just drive down to the US one weekend and have a look around. Can't you drive back up with an amp they're not gonna know what it is. Or do you have to declare everything you got? I hate to say it but I feel sorry for you Canadians man. You're gonna pay up the buttocks for something good.

Drive down here and bring some moolah my friend. Sell the others and get what your soul is craving for. :poke:

M29
August 12th, 2008, 06:35 PM
Jubillee Jubillee Jubillee!!!Do it, Do it, Do it:poke: :rockon: :dude: Sell it all sell it all
M29

Robert
August 12th, 2008, 09:03 PM
Is this what they call "peer pressure"? :whatever:

Algonquin
August 12th, 2008, 09:24 PM
If you want to buy it and hide it Rob... My basement is available for temporary (long term) storage :D

R.B. Huckleberry
August 22nd, 2008, 10:18 PM
Don't you get Marshall-like tones with the Heatseeker & the Hellhound? I remember my Hellhound doing a pretty good Marshall impression.

Robert
August 27th, 2008, 01:22 AM
Yes, RB - they do to some degree, but they don't have that big bottom end that a good Marshall 50/100 watter with EL34s has.