PDA

View Full Version : Being punished for being ... good?

Squireman131
August 5th, 2008, 12:35 AM
Well today was the first day of my marching bands band camp. I have played bass drum for 2 years and tried out for snare this year. I have said more then once that i probably will not play this year if they put me on bass. Which is true. I just dont enjoy playing bass the parts are to watered down because the rest of the basses cant play the parts our instructor cecil fish writes. I respect cecil but not our band director because he pretty much doesnt care about the line besides a few occasions such as this. Well They have known i probably will not be doing it if i get put on bass so during our lunch hour cecil came up to me and tried to reason with me about doing bass and here is there reason. I am better then the whole bassline and they want me to basically hold them up and i can see where they are coming from because its a all freshman bass line but i dont think they should put me on bass just because they want me to hold it up. I think that they should try to atleast make the experience enjoyable for the kids playing. I only had one other kid trying to be snare and we are pretty much the same skill level i being a little better just because i have one year of band on him. Well there you go just had to put that out there.

Spudman
August 5th, 2008, 07:29 AM
Marching band? You'll be needing a long extension cord then.:D

ShortBuSX
August 5th, 2008, 01:24 PM
Id tell em "Im here to learn and excel, Im all about being a team player, but at whos expense?"

warren0728
August 5th, 2008, 02:53 PM
Id tell em "Im here to learn and excel, Im all about being a team player, but at whos expense?"
i agree...it's your education....it isn't your duty to "carry" less talented players but to learn and play the instrument you want to....

ww

Squireman131
August 6th, 2008, 04:27 PM
So i decided to keep doping it even because of bass because my instructor wrote harded bass music. Plus i enjoy being in marching band... just not playing haha but ill deal its better with harder music and not just like quarter note runs.

warren0728
August 6th, 2008, 07:31 PM
So i decided to keep doping it even because of bass because my instructor wrote harded bass music.
stay of the dope man...just play them drums! :poke: :rotflmao:

ww