PDA

View Full Version : Schecter Stiletto Deluxe-4 Fretless

marnold
August 5th, 2008, 12:54 PM
I saw a used (but in great condition) Schecter Stiletto Deluxe-4 fretless bass in a local GC today. The regular Deluxe-4s retail for $499 and are selling for $349. They had this one for $299, although I don't know if the fretless ones retailed for more. I played it using my fingers through a Fender amp. It seemed to have a decent variety of tones, although the treble boost seemed to be noisy.

Anybody have any input on Schecters in general, the Deluxe-4 in particular, and the concept of having a toofless bass as your only bass?

Katastrophe
August 5th, 2008, 06:56 PM
I've only played a couple of Schecters, but my first impressions were that the guitars were solid and well built. I've never played one of their basses, but I would imagine that they put the same attention to detail in the bass line as well.

I think toofless basses are awesome, and you should buy one immediately, if not sooner.

:D

marnold
August 5th, 2008, 07:18 PM
I like the concept of toofless basses too, but since it would also be my only bass, I don't know if that's what I should do. I did notice that it was tremendously hard to bend strings without a fret to bend against. Of course, without frets you don't need to bend anymore. It certainly requires a rethinking of everything you've learned before. I also noticed that even though my fingers thought they were in the right place, my ears knew that they weren't. It requires a lot more precision because a fret can cover up for near-misses.

I could very easily coax some jazz tones out of it. As a matter of fact, it pretty much begs to play jazz. I don't really do much of that though. Still a cool bass.

Spudman
August 5th, 2008, 09:22 PM
A treble boost shouldn't be noisy. Was it enhancing finger noise or electronic buzz?

I don't have any experience with Schecter but I would think with a fretless wouldn't even want a treble boost since the technique uses a lot of sliding and the boost would certainly pick up more noise. So maybe if you don't even use it it's still a good deal for that axe? Are you jonesing for another bass?

marnold
August 5th, 2008, 09:46 PM
In some of the reviews I've read that the pickups can be noisy, which is odd since the soapbars are supposed to be humbucking. The noise is 60 cycle hum. My guess is that the active electronics aren't so hot. Basically the attraction is that it was there and it played very nice. The neck was to die for. Otherwise, I've still got my eye on a Peavey Zodiac BXP. The problem is that I've been in three different states and I've never seen one much less played one. I did play the higher-end Scorpio version.

Duff
August 6th, 2008, 12:32 AM
My Stilleto 5 string Schecter Elite is the best bass I've ever played, build wise, sound wise, feel wise, tone wise, etc. I don't think you can hit a sour note. It has frets and the pup blend, vol, and treble and bass eq active electronics. I've heard to get a new battery right away, from the Schecter corporate tech.

The four string, I would think could be an awesome item if it's anything like my 5 string I got for 350 new at the GC fourth of July weekend sale. They didn't have any four strings. I would have considered one. Mine has frets.

I imagine it would take some time to "understand" the secrets hidden within the fretless and where the fretless sweet spots are at and how to find them and get them to come out. Without doubt it is easy to understand where it might not sound right after only touching it for a short while.

Sounds really cool. But for 50 more you could get a new one with a warranty? Might be well worth it.

I have three Schecters and they are awesome guitars, especially my hybrid one that sounds better than any hybrid I've played when played stereo thru a guitar amp and an acoustic amp. Really neat and convincing.

Schecter has that heavy metal mystique but they really play sweet.

Hope my limitted and amateurish perspective helps you in some small way, at least.

Duff

marnold
August 6th, 2008, 08:51 AM
Actually that helps a lot, Duff. The problem with getting one new is a) they redid the model line for this year and b) the Deluxe-4 fretless is apparently very rare. Some have speculated that it was a one-off for GC or something. It's almost impossible to find info online about it. That "mystique" certainly is intriguing.

Duff
August 6th, 2008, 10:44 PM
Sounds like a unique bass. I still think it will take some time to "understand" where it is coming from and that will only come from time and playing it and using different amps and effects, etc.

I would think it would sound really smooth and cool and require a little more volume and gain, if available on your amp, and the slides must sound really great as well as the tremolo's. Probably really build hand strength as well. It might benefit from a good bass pedal as well for getting more gain and bite out of it, reverb, etc.

Sounds like a really cool item.

What color is it? Natural wood or stained/painted? Mine is natural stained wood with a flammed maple top on a mahogany body with a 5 piece mahogany and walnut neck for strength I'm sure, but tone city. Smooth as can be. Sustains for a really long time without a pedal. Beautiful looking, playing, sounding guita that fits in your hand really well. Schecter's probably get overlooked a lot but once in a while you can find them at deal prices, otherwise the nice ones are fairly expensive and the competition offers options that many are more attracted to.

Even my cheap omen 6 is built great and maybe will receive some nice pickups like a pearly gates and something else. That would be a definite improvement and put the guitar into new territory because the stock pups are a bit muddy. Low line Schecter's.

Good luck with the decision making. Sounds like a really cool bass.

Duffy

marnold
August 7th, 2008, 07:58 AM
I believe they call the color "walnut satin" like this one (http://www.amazon.com/Schecter-Omen-4-4-String-Guitar-Hardware/dp/B0002CZVQ4). It's a cool color, albeit one that shows fingerprints relatively easily. Basically now it's the uniqueness of the bass that is attracting me to it. I'm not sure if that's a Good Thing or not.

Duff
August 7th, 2008, 10:36 PM
Marnold,

That is the exact color of my first decent guitar, my Omen 6 in Walnut Stain and it is satin and does not show finger prints. It is really cool and dark looking and has a very demure vibe, not flashy like cherry sunburst, etc., but very laid back with a cool look, esp. with the black hardware.

I love the guitar and am thinking of putting a Pearly Gates in the Bridge and something else smooth in the Neck, like possibly a SD '59.

It plays awesome and is of outstanding craftsmanship. I think Schecter makes some really nice instruments.

Have you held this instrument? If you haven't, you are missing something. It is really cool and feels really great and I like it way better than a lot of my guitars. It just should have some better pickups because according to the Schecter tech that I talked to just very recently, the pickups on mine are bottom of the line Schecters, MIK, and that an upgrade would be super great, especially when I told him what I had in mind. My pups aren't even Duncan Designed. But I love the guitar.

Why not? It was my first decent electric guitar and the beginning of my present collection. Tonight I'm playing a Squire tele custom II with p90's with the hum cancelling in the middle. Nice ax. Playing it thru a Korg cheap AX5G with some reverb patch into my Blackheart Little Giant head into my Epi 1 by 12 cab for the V Jr. and it sounds more than super great.

I play my new bass, the Schecter Stilletto 5 elite I got for 350 on the fourth sale at GC thru a Fender Rumble 100 I also got at the sale for 198. Even without my Zoom B2.1u pedal it sounds super fantastic. You can't hit a sour note. I'm loving it and have grown to really appreciate Schecter guitars. A little high priced but when you get a deal they are way better than the competition that doesn't seem to offer deals and way, way better than the Ibanez basses I checked out and almost fell for one, much, much inferior. This one came perfect right off the GC floor, no set up necessary.

I'd say Schecter will satisfy you and even if you have to put in some new pickups like the EMG HZ's on my 5 string, you will be super happy.

Mine, however is a neck thru tail strap button five piece neck and sustains clean for a really long time and has tone that we search for. Maybe it's a special guitar. I knew when I played it it was special to me. It picked me. My amp isn't an SWR but I'm thinking of getting one of those Warwick practice bass amps at 20 solid state watts and wouldn't be surprised if it sounds nice.

No complaints about my Fender Rumble 100 and I even like the synchronized red light in the bass bottom ports that you can cancel if you don't like it. I like it and I'm 58!
You could jam with a fairly loud drummer with the Rumble 100.

I jammed with my strat with a very loud drummer friend of mine recently with my Fender Super Champ XD turned up to maybe 3, max and he was motioning me to turn down. I LOVE it. Ever have a drummer tell you to get a
REAL amp, one that is loud enough. That isn't a pleasant feeling. I really enjoy it when they tell you to turn down.

That walnut satin stain finish is outrageously nice in my opinion and I don't have a finger print problem like with a glossy guitar, exp. black, but I polish them and love he black guitars.

Encouraging you to the max,

Duffy

marnold
August 8th, 2008, 07:53 AM
Are you on Schecter's payroll? :)

I liked the finish and it was well-balanced despite having a light basswood body. A Fender MIM Jazz seemed to weigh a ton in comparison. Quite frankly, I liked the sound and playability of the much-cheaper Schecter. If I get a chance, I'm going to go back and play it with a pick too.

Some time ago I played a blonde-colored Schecter Diamond J that was really nice too. Another thing I like about the Schecters is that they look more like Spectors than the the typical P or J bass body. Bassists can be very boring when it comes to body shapes.

marnold
August 8th, 2008, 06:10 PM
Well, at this juncture it appears that I won't be getting that bass. Oh well. However, if in the future I decide I want a toofless, I noticed this little number (http://www.rondomusic.com/bg180tmftls.html) . . .

Duff
August 8th, 2008, 11:19 PM
I'm totally not on Schecter's payroll or affilliated in any way. I just think they makes some great guitars and are overlooked, probably because they tend to cost as much as the competition.

But I can say this Stilleto 5 Elite is the nicest bass I've ever played. Way better sounding than my MIJ Fender Jazz bass, circa '85 ish. I played quite a few and it's personal, as we all know. This bass just fell right into my hands and found a happy home there. I'm more than pleased because I think it is a special instrument. You ever come across one of them? You know it when you do. There is no question in your mind; it is a "for sure" type thing that you "know". You don't need to ask, debate, or anything: it's a personal knowing thing.

Good luck with whatever you look for.

Duff

EnglishJW
January 6th, 2010, 10:57 PM
I'm totally not on Schecter's payroll or affilliated in any way. I just think they makes some great guitars and are overlooked, probably because they tend to cost as much as the competition.

But I can say this Stilleto 5 Elite is the nicest bass I've ever played. Way better sounding than my MIJ Fender Jazz bass, circa '85 ish. I played quite a few and it's personal, as we all know. This bass just fell right into my hands and found a happy home there. I'm more than pleased because I think it is a special instrument. You ever come across one of them? You know it when you do. There is no question in your mind; it is a "for sure" type thing that you "know". You don't need to ask, debate, or anything: it's a personal knowing thing.

Good luck with whatever you look for.

Duff

I am new to the board so I apologize for such a late reply. Like you, I too love many of the Schecter basses. I have had three - two Elites and now only a Studio - all five strings. The basses seem to suffer from the overall image of Schecter as a metal guitar manufacturer. My son, for example, has a Hellraiser C-1 which fits the image. The company actually is offering some very high value products that work well for lots of different musical styles. I've enjoyed your posts and just wanted to offer some support.

http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/95304b456c41c86e5.jpg